Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Information & Questions + Construction Updates

We usually stay DVC, but we will be at the GF for a conference next month. I have Resort View booked through my work. Any suggestions on a room request? I think SugarLoaf looks convenient, but I would like a balcony, so should I request 2nd floor? Or do they automatically put all convention guests at Sago Key so we are close to the convention center? Are there other things I should consider with a request?

We usually stay DVC, but we will be at the GF for a conference next month. I have Resort View booked through my work. Any suggestions on a room request? I think SugarLoaf looks convenient, but I would like a balcony, so should I request 2nd floor? Or do they automatically put all convention guests at Sago Key so we are close to the convention center? Are there other things I should consider with a request?
Generally they put conferences in Sago. So ask for floor or marina side? I like floors 2/3 for open balcony.

All rooms have a balcony or 1st floor patio at least.

We just got back from a 3-night stay (second half of a split stay with the YC) at GF, in a DVC resort studio (meaning, the studios in Big Pine Key), standard view.

The good: Our room was lovely with no major issues, and although they couldn't accommodate our request for a 5th floor room or a turret room in Big Pine Key, we were placed in the center of the third floor facing the pool, with a wonderful fireworks view over the pool and buildings beyond, which we could watch from our beds. :) Even though we were staying DVC on rented points, we received a "bonus" unsolicited housekeeping visit on day 2, which included not just trash and towel service, but remaking of our beds. All of the CMs we encountered, from the front desk to the shops and restaurants and housekeeping, were friendly and helpful. Even the construction crew members we passed would call out a greeting or give us a friendly wave!

The bad: Our arrival evening was a clustercuss. I'd checked in online weeks ahead of time (indicating that we intended to arrive by 3pm, a little before the official DVC 4pm checkin time), and our reservation was all linked up on MDE. After killing time at the parks until nearly 6pm, twiddling our thumbs, and wondering why we still hadn't gotten a room-ready text or even a "room not ready yet" notification, we decided we could wait no more for dinner/fresh clothes/showers, and headed over to GF.

It looked so beautiful as we pulled in on the monorail, until we walked in and saw that now the entire multi-story center section of the lobby (which we'd never seen in person before -- so much for first impressions!) was taken up by noisy cranes, piles of lumber, and big white walls. I knew, and had warned my family, that the lobby was under construction, but the size of the construction zone caught me by surprise: it had tripled in size from what I'd last seen online, and now took up the entire multi-story center section, other than a tiny seating area near the front doors. On the plus side, there was a piano player, playing showtunes in a tuxedo -- a rather absurd juxtaposition given that he was situated in front of the construction walls, over which a hardhat-clad worker was visibly suspended, as if preparing to belt out "Defying Gravity" for a flash-mob production of Wicked. The piano player was a nice and unexpected touch nonetheless, and his lovely performance helped drown out the noise of the cranes, and convince us that underneath and behind it all, there was a really nice hotel.

We were greeted by a cheerful CM, who asked for our details and immediately informed me that although she could see that I'd checked in online, it "didn't go through." (What does that even mean!?!) As a result, our room had been ready for hours, but we hadn't gotten a room ready text or email, and would have died of old age without ever receiving one, had we not gone to the front desk. Then she collected all of our MagicBands, explaining that she'd have to spend a few minutes "reprogramming" them because "the system does not like split stays and you can't get into your room otherwise." When I explained that we each had 2 more MagicBands in our luggage (which we hadn't collected yet), she said that we wouldn't be able to use them either, unless we brought them back for reprogramming, too. Even after all that, DH's "reprogrammed" MagicBand never worked to get him into the room!

After collecting our bags, unpacking and exploring our room (which was just beautiful), and freshening up, we headed to Gasparilla Grill in search of some dinner. I knew the construction zone wrapped around the restaurant, and the signage for guests trying to access Gasparilla Grill was clear and effective. What I had not fully appreciated was the extent to which the papered-over windows and scaffolding would make the restaurant feel claustrophobic and dark. It didn't help that we appeared to have arrived at the end of a crowded dinner rush, so the dining room was deafeningly loud and crowded, trash cans were overflowing, tables were hard to find and were not being cleaned between parties, grab-and-go items like the fruit cups and salads in the refrigerators were visibly macerated/wilted, and the CMs seemed exhausted and overwhelmed. Unfortunately, Gasparilla Grill ended up at the bottom of the rankings, as far as our CS meals on this trip (with the more positive experiences including Primo Piatto at Riviera, and even Pecos Bill and Pinocchio Village Haus at MK).

Putting aside those issues (none of which was a big deal in the great scheme of things, even if they were hiccups we didn't expect in light of the resort's price point and flagship status), we still really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Floridian, particularly the monorail access, Courtyard Pool, games on the beach, beautiful decor, and breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe. I'm sorry we'll never get to see the lobby in all its glory (except in pictures), as we're not likely to return -- at least, not while there are still other Disney hotels where we've never stayed, and finishing them all at our current rate will probably take us a lifetime. ;) We paid what amounted to half of the rack rate for our room, thanks to renting DVC points, but I confess that if I had paid more, I might have felt short-changed. As it was, we felt blessed and fancy, and were sorry to leave!

Last edited:
Question have stayed at the resort studios 3 times so far and absolutely love them. We are going again soon and have a resort studio booked. Do they all have 2 queen beds or is this something we need to request? Every time we have stayed there we had 2 queens

All of the resort studios in the DVC BPK building have 2 queen beds. Can't speak to the configuration of any of the rooms in the other GF hotel buildings. The deluxe studios in the original DVC building have one queen bed and a Murphy bed that pulls down to a queen, plus a twin size Murphy under the TV.

All the rooms are done except the main building club level rooms. Aka RPC.
What about the outsides of the buildings? Are they on the last one now too or do they still need to set up scaffolding for others in the future? We're staying there late April 2024 and I'm hoping it's all done by then because it's our first time staying there and our 25th anniversary.

They did the outsides of the buildings the same time as inside . Main building only one left . However there’s always a chance they do some random pavements or something. However April should be a good time to go.

Resorts seem to have never ending work done. Greenery, pavements , painting a walkway or exterior. It is part of the up keep to keep it so beautiful for us. At least with the rooms done noise level should be at a minimum.

We just got back from a 3-night stay (second half of a split stay with the YC) at GF, in a DVC resort studio (meaning, the studios in Big Pine Key), standard view.

The good: Our room was lovely with no major issues, and although they couldn't accommodate our request for a 5th floor room or a turret room in Big Pine Key, we were placed in the center of the third floor facing the pool, with a wonderful fireworks view over the pool and buildings beyond, which we could watch from our beds. :) Even though we were staying DVC on rented points, we received a "bonus" unsolicited housekeeping visit on day 2, which included not just trash and towel service, but remaking of our beds. All of the CMs we encountered, from the front desk to the shops and restaurants and housekeeping, were friendly and helpful. Even the construction crew members we passed would call out a greeting or give us a friendly wave!

The bad: Our arrival evening was a clustercuss. I'd checked in online weeks ahead of time (indicating that we intended to arrive by 3pm, a little before the official DVC 4pm checkin time), and our reservation was all linked up on MDE. After killing time at the parks until nearly 6pm, twiddling our thumbs, and wondering why we still hadn't gotten a room-ready text or even a "room not ready yet" notification, we decided we could wait no more for dinner/fresh clothes/showers, and headed over to GF.

It looked so beautiful as we pulled in on the monorail, until we walked in and saw that now the entire multi-story center section of the lobby (which we'd never seen in person before -- so much for first impressions!) was taken up by noisy cranes, piles of lumber, and big white walls. I knew, and had warned my family, that the lobby was under construction, but the size of the construction zone caught me by surprise: it had tripled in size from what I'd last seen online, and now took up the entire multi-story center section, other than a tiny seating area near the front doors. On the plus side, there was a piano player, playing showtunes in a tuxedo -- a rather absurd juxtaposition given that he was situated in front of the construction walls, over which a hardhat-clad worker was visibly suspended, as if preparing to belt out "Defying Gravity" for a flash-mob production of Wicked. The piano player was a nice and unexpected touch nonetheless, and his lovely performance helped drown out the noise of the cranes, and convince us that underneath and behind it all, there was a really nice hotel.

We were greeted by a cheerful CM, who asked for our details and immediately informed me that although she could see that I'd checked in online, it "didn't go through." (What does that even mean!?!) As a result, our room had been ready for hours, but we hadn't gotten a room ready text or email, and would have died of old age without ever receiving one, had we not gone to the front desk. Then she collected all of our MagicBands, explaining that she'd have to spend a few minutes "reprogramming" them because "the system does not like split stays and you can't get into your room otherwise." When I explained that we each had 2 more MagicBands in our luggage (which we hadn't collected yet), she said that we wouldn't be able to use them either, unless we brought them back for reprogramming, too. Even after all that, DH's "reprogrammed" MagicBand never worked to get him into the room!

After collecting our bags, unpacking and exploring our room (which was just beautiful), and freshening up, we headed to Gasparilla Grill in search of some dinner. I knew the construction zone wrapped around the restaurant, and the signage for guests trying to access Gasparilla Grill was clear and effective. What I had not fully appreciated was the extent to which the papered-over windows and scaffolding would make the restaurant feel claustrophobic and dark. It didn't help that we appeared to have arrived at the end of a crowded dinner rush, so the dining room was deafeningly loud and crowded, trash cans were overflowing, tables were hard to find and were not being cleaned between parties, grab-and-go items like the fruit cups and salads in the refrigerators were visibly macerated/wilted, and the CMs seemed exhausted and overwhelmed. Unfortunately, Gasparilla Grill ended up at the bottom of the rankings, as far as our CS meals on this trip (with the more positive experiences including Primo Piatto at Riviera, and even Pecos Bill and Pinocchio Village Haus at MK).

Putting aside those issues (none of which was a big deal in the great scheme of things, even if they were hiccups we didn't expect in light of the resort's price point and flagship status), we still really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Floridian, particularly the monorail access, Courtyard Pool, games on the beach, beautiful decor, and breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe. I'm sorry we'll never get to see the lobby in all its glory (except in pictures), as we're not likely to return -- at least, not while there are still other Disney hotels where we've never stayed, and finishing them all at our current rate will probably take us a lifetime. ;) We paid what amounted to half of the rack rate for our room, thanks to renting DVC points, but I confess that if I had paid more, I might have felt short-changed. As it was, we felt blessed and fancy, and were sorry to leave!
Thank you for the review.

Heads up for others : split stays and mbs and online check in is a constant issue. Make sure you have checked out of resort one and ask to be checked in resort 2. Sometimes that helps. My cl stays they do that for us from resort 1. I think this year I got a push notification to check out on my phone a few trips.

I now go to resort 2 and ask to be checked in knowing I probably won’t get a room not ready text(if I wasn’t able to do at resort 1). Although some trips I do, It is so random.

Also note if room assignor put you in a room at the end of the hall and the maid is doing that last you will be in your room late. I asked at BC last Nov every 30 mins to check on our room. They insisted we coulded get moved to an open room. Took from 12:30p-4p waiting. We really kept thinking any min it must be ready, park hopping at 2 but it got hot and we were not dressed for it. Also , sure you can get your bags which takes time then spread it out all over and find an outfit then change in a bathroom but that’s not fun.

When my kids were young I had stuff in a smaller bag so I could grab that one and make moving day a breeze. We just really did not except to have to wait. Usually rooms assigned as people arrive but they refused to move us from the assigned room.

Also if you arrive at your resort and don’t get any texts emails go to the front desk. They will check on it .

Good Morning from The Grand!!

Just switched over from BW, so while waiting for our room, I walked around and took some pictures for everyone.

I’ll start with Indoor Pics. Main Building. Smells of fresh paint. What has been painted looks lovely. I can’t wait to see everything done!!

IMG_5217.jpegIMG_5227.jpegIMG_5228.jpegIMG_5229.jpegIMG_5230.jpegIMG_5245.jpegIMG_5246.jpegIMG_5247.jpeg

Thanks for the live updates! Any signs (or sounds) of life around 1900 Park Fare? I'm also curious to see if they will remove the "tunnel" to Gasparilla's now that it looks like the scaffolding is moving to the left...

Thanks for the live updates! Any signs (or sounds) of life around 1900 Park Fare? I'm also curious to see if they will remove the "tunnel" to Gasparilla's now that it looks like the scaffolding is moving to the left...
Honestly, that area was so crowded when we walked through, I couldn’t wait to get out!! Bunch of people waiting for GF Cafe and visiting the DVC kiosk. I’ll check around 1900 when I go back over that way.

Sounds like it was a great trip.
I have a few questions....when renting DVC points can you request a specific room, building? I am looking at a resort studio.
Also, on the room It says "not all rooms have balconies", how common would that be not to have a balcony.
Any idea when the lobby construction will finish?
TIA

Sounds like it was a great trip.
I have a few questions....when renting DVC points can you request a specific room, building? I am looking at a resort studio.
Also, on the room It says "not all rooms have balconies", how common would that be not to have a balcony.
Any idea when the lobby construction will finish?
TIA
Resort studios are all in bpk. The old deluxe room category has a bump out seating area and top floor one doesn’t have a balcony. So really it’s 1 room per building,

I think the owner has to put in request and current booking option is old Garden now resort view, old LV now water view and I think the rooms on the end TPV .

No one knows lobby timetable because Disney keeps moving the goal lines on all of their projects.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter