Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... transportation question.

We're coming in on 8/24. Flight lands at 1:40. We were planning on doing Mears Express to WL, dropping off the bags, and heading to MK for a 4:25 at Skipper's Canteen. I checked and cannot currently push that back, though I will keep trying.

Mears has limited their express shuttles and is not doing any to WL at the moment.

When we did DME in the past, WL was usually one of the last drop off points. Is that true for Mears Connect or Sunshine Flyer? Should we just get a private car or Uber XL instead? 4 of us plus bags for 5 days.
I would probably book a private vehicle just so you know what you're getting. We did Tiffany Towncar last time (group of 7) and it was nice to just have it ready to go when we landed.

If anyone has stayed at the WL lately, were any of the park buses also picking up at the Contemporary (or any of the monorail resorts) in the morning? The loss of the boat to the Contemporary/FW is pretty annoying!
The park buses were only going to the park from WL in the morning. But the Disney Springs bus goes to the Contemporary and it starts running early.

They have a bus to that goes to Fort Wilderness from the WL. It stops at the Settlement outpost.

Last edited:
Hello! We are checking into Wilderness Lodge August 19th for the first time and we are so excited!! One question I have is whether or not you can request to have the balcony doors locked through maintenance? We have several small children and I am nervous about them having access to the balcony. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Cheryl

Hello! We are checking into Wilderness Lodge August 19th for the first time and we are so excited!! One question I have is whether or not you can request to have the balcony doors locked through maintenance? We have several small children and I am nervous about them having access to the balcony. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Cheryl
I would call maintenance when checking in to see if they have something to prevent children from opening the balcony door. The sliding door has a separate lock that is above the handle, so it might be out of their reach. :)

I would call maintenance when checking in to see if they have something to prevent children from opening the balcony door. The sliding door has a separate lock that is above the handle, so it might be out of their reach. :)
Thanks so much for your reply! I will ask when we check it!

Cheryl

Cheryl
Sometimes you an just put a stick or pole in the door slide on the bottom to keep it from opening.

We were there last week, there was a manual lock above the door handle, and a second lock below the handle. The upper lock was completely broken and the lower lock had the striker plate somewhat mangled. No kids with us so it didn't affect us, but with kids I would give it a good lookover when you get there just to be safe.

Has anyone been lately that went to the pool during the day? Was it crazy crowded? We’re probably going to be spending a good portion of the afternoon there and I am curious as I know WL isn’t considered a massive pool.

We have stayed at many many resorts and found Wilderness Lodge the absolute worst to get a chair by the pool. One day we went down to the pool and I counted the number of people sitting in chairs. There were 13 people sitting in chairs, but, every single chair was taken with towels/books/flip flops, etc.

It was tight last week for pool chairs, but between the two pools, we always found something. When someone left a spot we wanted,..umbrella, table, etc. we would hop over to that spot.

Cheryl
The doors should have the separate lock about 5 ft. above the ground.

Will be at WL this fall and we haven't stayed in the lodge since the rooms have been refurbished (December '21 trip was at the villas), but really liked the rustic vibe of the previous version. Tell me what you liked or didn't like about the current iteration. Thanks!

Will be at WL this fall and we haven't stayed in the lodge since the rooms have been refurbished (December '21 trip was at the villas), but really liked the rustic vibe of the previous version. Tell me what you liked or didn't like about the current iteration. Thanks!
We stayed in a refurbished room last September and really liked the room - except for the lack of a towel bar in the sink area. They only have a hook to hang a towel from rather than a full length bar for bath towels. Other than that, it was nice.

There were little reading lights on each side of the headboard and a small shelf on each side of the bed that had outlets and USB ports. The carpet was replaced by vinyl flooring and there was room under the platform beds for luggage storage. The tables were stackable and easy to move. A shower door replaced the shower curtain and had a detachable wand shower head, as well as a rain shower head. The long, rectangular "window" in the bathroom was a light on a dimmer, which was pretty cool.

Although I did miss the cute little animal statues that used to be on the headboards, the updates made up for their absence. And the wallpaper in the new room gave it that "lodge" feel.

:)

Attachments

• room 1020 1.JPEG
    room 1020 1.JPEG
    29.4 KB · Views: 32
  • room 1020 2.JPEG
    room 1020 2.JPEG
    28.2 KB · Views: 30
  • room 1020 3.JPEG
    room 1020 3.JPEG
    46.2 KB · Views: 28
  • shelf on right.JPEG
    shelf on right.JPEG
    27.2 KB · Views: 28
  • tables and chairs.JPEG
    tables and chairs.JPEG
    35.3 KB · Views: 28
  • two sinks.JPEG
    two sinks.JPEG
    26.7 KB · Views: 30
  • tub shower combo.JPEG
    tub shower combo.JPEG
    50.4 KB · Views: 30
  • two queens.JPEG
    two queens.JPEG
    29.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Honestly, we liked everything about the room. Our room had a little towel hook by the sinks, but our room might’ve been a test room because it was a little different than the adjoining room. I think they were rustic and elegant all at the same time, which I know doesn’t make sense but they looked really nice. I think you’ll like them.

We have stayed at many many resorts and found Wilderness Lodge the absolute worst to get a chair by the pool. One day we went down to the pool and I counted the number of people sitting in chairs. There were 13 people sitting in chairs, but, every single chair was taken with towels/books/flip flops, etc.
This has now become a real problem at many resorts in high tourist areas, not just WDW. People go to the pools and “reserve” seating with towel, bags, etc., then don’t show up for hours. Pretty dang rude I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter