DL again or WDW?

We did WDW last year after visiting DLR the previous year. I'm glad we went it was a different experience, the only thing that annoyed me was the planning involved so I just threw caution to the wind and winged it - it was the best decision for my family and we really enjoyed ourselves.

If you have three weeks to devote to theme parks then do WDW this trip, DLR is easier to get to from Australia/NZ so it makes sense to go back to DLR when you have less time.

FWIW, we enjoyed both DLR and WDW and we don't think one is better over the other, they are equally magical :tinker:

I feel your pain. We have been to DLR 4 times now. For some reason I just can't seem to get excited about WDW - I think it's just overwhelming with the idea of having to pounce on ADRs and FPs, plan everything so thoroughly, rely on buses to get around, and missing the nostalgia of DLR. I'm thinking when we eventually get there, it will be as part of a massive coast to coast (a half marathon on each coast) trip for some sort of special occasion.

If you're planning to go eventually, it may as well be on this trip when you've got plenty of time (and as a PP pointed out, the AUD is not ridiculously bad).

So Meemoo, may I ask if you have made a decision yet?

Far from it :rotfl2:I'm also thinking maybe HK or back to Hawaii, or still maybe DL or WDW. Hawaii is just a very easy, relaxing place for us. I get my Amazon and Outlet shopping, we own DVC at Aulani, rent a car, the kids can go to Aunty's Beach House when they aren't up for shopping, its kind of our perfect place. But I do love me some Disney Parks!!! :jumping1: Still time to plan for now!

I know I am in the minority but we didn't like HK Disneyland in fact for the experience and cost I felt very disappointed. Rating them on our families experiences we rank WDW first then very close behind Disneyland then a gap to Disneyland Paris then an enormous gap to HK Disneyland. It really depends on deals and what you want from the holiday.

Go to WDW for a different experience to DL - the planning isn't so bad we just spent one night working out our dinners (we got the dining plan but thats really not necessary) and then planned what days we would be in the parks around that and then fast passes were easy to work out for us as we prioritize rides :D we got park hoppers and have used them just on spur of the moment. Love to stay onsite for extra magic hours and to be in the disney bubble and the complementary transport works amazingly well - we found ourselves finishing dinner late at MK long after park hours had finished, waiting for a bus with NO ONE around and in 5 minutes our very own bus appears to take just us back to our hotel :) we have stayed at french quarter twice and would stay there again.

We also spent a day going to Universal which was so much fun. It was expensive but worth it and we found the day was enough to see all we wanted to see (harry potter haha) . We have been once in March (spring break crowds but great weather and long park hours) and once early February (colder, parks were quieter but hours were much shorter).

I know I am in the minority but we didn't like HK Disneyland in fact for the experience and cost I felt very disappointed. Rating them on our families experiences we rank WDW first then very close behind Disneyland then a gap to Disneyland Paris then an enormous gap to HK Disneyland. It really depends on deals and what you want from the holiday.

I like HK for the whole HK experience, I always say that DL there is like the cherry on top! My husband was born there so we've been a few times. We love the food, shopping, Ocean Park is great too, I just feel like its a very different destination, I love to see the city at night. DL park itself is of course not as impressive as the American parks but its small and still magical and the resort area i think is better than DL USA. I guess I still need to visit WDW to know what my first love will be, but at the moment I have no single favourite destination, quite happy to go anywhere I've been again and also don't mind to try something new, that's where we're at!!

HKDL is actually fast gaining on DLR for my favourite park! DLR is getting too crowded and they're adding far too much Frozen, Star Wars and Avengers for my liking... There are definite pluses over HKDL though, like having a second park and a DTD district. DLP is bringing up the rear for me - I didn't like the atmosphere there at all, was all about the kids and the adults were all grumpy lol! I know I'm definitely in the minority about HKDL, but right now I just love the place! We'll be avoiding the US parks for a while (unless of course we just happen to be in the area ;), which is very unlikely!).

HKDL is actually fast gaining on DLR for my favourite park! DLR is getting too crowded and they're adding far too much Frozen, Star Wars and Avengers for my liking... There are definite pluses over HKDL though, like having a second park and a DTD district. DLP is bringing up the rear for me - I didn't like the atmosphere there at all, was all about the kids and the adults were all grumpy lol! I know I'm definitely in the minority about HKDL, but right now I just love the place! We'll be avoiding the US parks for a while (unless of course we just happen to be in the area ;), which is very unlikely!).

Interested to know Zanibar, have you ventured over to Tokyo Disneyland? I thought I'd ask since you are a fan of HKDL. What are your thoughts on it? I also like the layed back atmosphere at HKDL, doesn't feel like its such a mission too to get everything done. I am looking forward to seeing the new hotel, perhaps it will make my decision easier when it opens.

Tokyo Disney Resort is the closest to the feel of Walt Disney World in my opinion with variety of great restaurants, deluxe hotels and the monorail between parks. Tokyo Disneyland is similar in design and content to the Magic Kingdom. It has greater technology but it's nowhere near as picturesque as Magic Kingdom.

Tokyo DisneySea is the best Disney park in the world. The Japanese aren't necessarily avid Disney animation fans but they are AVID Disney Park fans and the Disney Resort there is revered like a cult. In that way guests have a similar anticipation and enjoyment of the parks like you get in the states. Probably more enjoyment really as they get stuck into their ever changing *you won't see the same thing twice* merchandise.

Like zanzibar138, I love the Hong Kong Disneyland resort but that's mostly for its beauty and resort area (I am so in love with the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel) than the park's attraction lineup or content.

I don't have a favourite Disney resort and sometimes when I favour one over the other, it will change.
Paris has the most beautiful magic kingdom
Hong Kong is in the nicest location
Anaheim has history and cosiness
Florida has expanse and multiple entertainment and dining options.
Tokyo has the technology and the best concept for a theme park in the world.
Shanghai is a construction zone ;) hehe.

Interested to know Zanibar, have you ventured over to Tokyo Disneyland? I thought I'd ask since you are a fan of HKDL. What are your thoughts on it? I also like the layed back atmosphere at HKDL, doesn't feel like its such a mission too to get everything done. I am looking forward to seeing the new hotel, perhaps it will make my decision easier when it opens.

I haven't been to TDR. The reports of huge crowds and 3 hour waits really put me off, plus Japan is expensive to go to for a holiday. Since we usually just slot HKDL in as a quick stopover on our way back from somewhere else, and we only have 1 or maybe 2 nights there, the cost isn't as big an issue. I do plan to get to TDR, it's just going to need a longer term plan to make it happen.

I can understand some reluctance to go to WDW over DL. The former, as many have said, does take some planning to make the most. however the experience is so worth it in my view. You don't have to plan everything, we never have nor ever will and our trips are the greatest we have ever had. I can also understand some apprehension about the buses, we were the same before we went, but truly, they are so well done. Sure sometimes you might miss a bus and there may be a short wait, but any holiday something might go not quite to plan and in the scheme of things having to wait 10-20 mins , for us at least, wasn't a big deal. But even with that said, it really didn't happen often at all. I can't imagine going to WDW and not using the transport system. Depending on where you stay there are boats also and if you stay in a the Boardwalk area, you can easily walk to two parks.

Last edited:
Hope you figure it out.

I like Hong Kong as well. It's a great destination for a vacay.....and Disneyland is definitely the cherry on the top. It's much more relaxed at HKDL than at DLR or WDW. Like Zanzibar said, you have to want to go to Hong Kong; and consider HKDL as a stop.

I haven't been to TDR either but it's definitely on the cards for the next 18 months or so. I figure with Shanghai opening up, it could make Tokyo and/or Hong Kong less busy.

If it came down to a choice between DLR or WDW, I'd always pick DLR. But WDW has to be seen and experienced at least once. With 3 weeks, I'd be tempted to go to Orlando. So much to see and do there.

It's WDW every time for us, even though we've had to swap the 8hr flights for 28hr ones after moving here. We've done DL twice (1987 and 2013), but even on that most recent trip it was combined with WDW. We used the DL trip as a layover opportunity. Whilst it was great to do some of the rides we've never done before, we still missed the magnitude of WDW. You also have the added bonus of the two main additional parks, the two water parks, plus all the other parks and attractions that Orlando has to offer. There is so much to do at WDW, that even now, on the umpteenth visit, we are still finding new things to do. The first few years we went, we planned with military precision, but it doesn't work. Something always comes up and things go wrong. So, these days, we plan our restaurants and tours/activities ahead of time, but the park visiting, we just 'go with the flow'. We have thrown in a cruise before, and will be doing so on our next trip this year. So many cruises are available out of Sydney, but having done a Disney one, I am spoiled, and would probably only do a non-Disney one if rates were exceptional. The cruise is great for having a few days and nights away from the hustle and bustle of the parks, and gives you some great downtime. It's good to throw into the middle of the holiday too, so that you can ensure you are in mainland USA/Orlando before the cruise date, and so you have time to re-group after your return before having to head home.

Flight wise, the first year coming from Oz we laid over in LA on the way out, and straight back on the return. However, after that first time, we've just done the 3-4hr layover and got on with it! We've looked at flying Qantas/American (via Fort Worth), but they are usually $1000+ per person more expensive than Delta/Virgin Australia. We go Delta via LA. Normally, we are not able to lock in dates until close to time, so flights about $2500-3000 per person, round trip. This year, we were able to plan a bit more in advance, as I will have finished uni again, and we got them much cheaper. Delta have been amazing. We got diverted to Hawaii one year because a staff member had a heart attack, and received credits to our accounts. Then last year, we were delayed out of Orlando because of severe thunderstorms, and had 30-minutes once we landed in LA to make the connection. There were about 10 of us, and the on-board crew made sure we put our call bells on so the entire plane could see who had to get off first. Then, when we landed, everyone was asked to remain in their seats until those of use for Sydney had got off. A few people got up and in the way, but on the whole everyone was helpful - the staff did a great job in making everyone feel empathetic saying if we miss the connection we'd be camping in the airport for 24-hrs until tomorrow's flight!

Ticketing is the worst part, as from here, we always go for much longer than the average American. It's part of the reason why MYW tickets only go 10-days. Anything past that, and you might as well get the annual pass. The Gold annual pass is now available to DVC members too, which is our plan this time. However, we try to be clever with bookings were we can, and go just within a year of our previous visit. i.e 15-31 August one year, 1-14 August the next year, so that we get two years' worth of vacations out of a one-year annual pass!

Hi Meemoo

I remember you from the MHP planning in the DL forum last year :) Did you get to one of the parties? OMG - What an AMAZING experience that was and I guess that's why I'm back and saving away for another trip!

I had been struggling with making this decision too and only recently decided we'd bite the bullet and our next trip will be to DW. I honestly can't see how the next trip could live up to that one. Truthfully even going back to DL for a second time surely couldn't, so thus moving on to bigger (and hopefully) better (albeit in a different way) family memories to make.

BUT, just now reading F! is not as good at DW made my stomach flip. I loved that show. I was surprised I did but I sure did - every minute of it! Then, did I also just read no Radiator Springs Racers? I just assumed bigger meant better and now I've realised I need to spend some considerable time working out what they don't have at DW. Imagine finding that out upon arrival - der me!

Please tell me they have Big Thunder and Space Mountain or it's all off....LOL!

Keep Calm and Keep Planning!
Yes there is Space & Big Thunder at WDW, don't panic!! :rotfl2:

WDW is indeed bigger and better in it's own way. We found them different experiences but totally enjoyable, you'll have a blast, promise! :thumbsup2

Hi Meemoo

I remember you from the MHP planning in the DL forum last year :) Did you get to one of the parties? OMG - What an AMAZING experience that was and I guess that's why I'm back and saving away for another trip!

I had been struggling with making this decision too and only recently decided we'd bite the bullet and our next trip will be to DW. I honestly can't see how the next trip could live up to that one. Truthfully even going back to DL for a second time surely couldn't, so thus moving on to bigger (and hopefully) better (albeit in a different way) family memories to make.

BUT, just now reading F! is not as good at DW made my stomach flip. I loved that show. I was surprised I did but I sure did - every minute of it! Then, did I also just read no Radiator Springs Racers? I just assumed bigger meant better and now I've realised I need to spend some considerable time working out what they don't have at DW. Imagine finding that out upon arrival - der me!

Please tell me they have Big Thunder and Space Mountain or it's all off....LOL!

Hello :goodvibes I didn't end up going to MHP in the end...we had a very full schedule and I was actually happy that we didn't plan it for this time!! We ended up having our Halloween at Aulani. I'm still not 100% sure about WDW at this stage either. DL was wonderful and I hardly had time to do everything/spend enough time with everything that I would have liked to and we had the 10 day pass last time! I did however love the convenience of how accessible everything was particularly when we were staying at the VGC. I love many of the things exclusive to DL, as you mentioned F!, I really really loved it. We did the BB dinner package and it was worth every single cent, I would do it again next time for sure! I have read many ppl say WDW F! is not so great but I guess you need to thing there will be other things there that DL doesn't have. The new Animal Kingdom night show looks like it will be worthwhile, and the Frozen ride (yes, I am one of the Frozen fantatics) that would be awesome too! I'd also love to see the original Main Street Electrical Parade again, although now I have grown very fond of Paint the Night. Cars Land is hard to beat too! This year we are going to travel domestically, I need to visit some family (they all wonder why I have no time/$ to visit them but I keep going to Disney :rotfl:) Next year we want to do 'something' just very undecided at this stage, but I like considering all the possibilities :cheer2: Is it the flight time turning you off WDW too?

Hello :goodvibes I didn't end up going to MHP in the end...we had a very full schedule and I was actually happy that we didn't plan it for this time!! We ended up having our Halloween at Aulani. I'm still not 100% sure about WDW at this stage either. DL was wonderful and I hardly had time to do everything/spend enough time with everything that I would have liked to and we had the 10 day pass last time! I did however love the convenience of how accessible everything was particularly when we were staying at the VGC. I love many of the things exclusive to DL, as you mentioned F!, I really really loved it. We did the BB dinner package and it was worth every single cent, I would do it again next time for sure! I have read many ppl say WDW F! is not so great but I guess you need to thing there will be other things there that DL doesn't have. The new Animal Kingdom night show looks like it will be worthwhile, and the Frozen ride (yes, I am one of the Frozen fantatics) that would be awesome too! I'd also love to see the original Main Street Electrical Parade again, although now I have grown very fond of Paint the Night. Cars Land is hard to beat too! This year we are going to travel domestically, I need to visit some family (they all wonder why I have no time/$ to visit them but I keep going to Disney :rotfl:) Next year we want to do 'something' just very undecided at this stage, but I like considering all the possibilities :cheer2: Is it the flight time turning you off WDW too?

The 10 day pass was just perfect for us, the only thing we didn't see was the Soundsational Parade I think it was called. The girls didn't;t know they missed it nut I heard Mary & Bert are the last in the parade and the band play their songs - we would have loved that. Now I think on it, I will check and see if DW does that one too. I expect you'll be right and DW will be a chance to create some new memories with new rides/shows etc. I'm totally up for that! I love Frozen too - more than my 8 and 10 year old who are growing up way too quickly. The Electrical Parade sounds good - Paint the Night was brilliant. We met the loveliest family there while we waited (and at F! too). Such a great vibe is this Disney caper. I'm thinking get the family to come with you!! DH is stressed about the flight (in flight in fact) but we'll do 3 nights at San Francisco on the way there and then 3-4 at LA on the way back to break it up. I'm already thinking a quick visit to Anaheim might be in order....shhhhhh!

Keep Calm and Keep Planning!
Yes there is Space & Big Thunder at WDW, don't panic!! :rotfl2:

WDW is indeed bigger and better in it's own way. We found them different experiences but totally enjoyable, you'll have a blast, promise! :thumbsup2

Phew! Thanks!! I'm off to Google the Soundsational Parade too now - or anything Mary & Bert in fact ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter