• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DL AP or one trip?

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
I feel like I may be asking a somewhat biased pool, but who isn’t when it comes to Disney?

I can’t decide between a one off trip to DL next year, or going twice. Once to experience “regular” DL and once for Halloween. I hate to go *just* at Halloween, but that’s a possibility.

If I went twice, I’m debating trading off years with APs - so letting my current WDW AP lapse in December, getting a DL AP, and returning to WDW AP in 2020.

OR renewing my WDW AP, paying for my one-off DL trip, and going to WDW two more times.

A premier passport is under consideration, but likely wouldn’t offer me much benefit for the cost. Especially since I get the renewal price at WDW.

Last edited:
Only you can make the decision for yourself, but I highly encourage you to make a spreadsheet to crunch the numbers on this. It can be super helpful to see how the math plays out in black and white comparing tickets to annual passes. Be sure to round up on your expenses so that you have an idea on the most you would spend. Factor in AP discounts for the pass level you would get. Make sure to look at the current blockout calendar (there have been changes for this year) to see how that would affect you. Then, once you have all the numbers in front of you, ask yourself how many days you would need to go to the parks (and which parks -- DLR or WDW) to make APs pay off for you.
If you don't decide on an AP, look into other ways to save money so that you can possibly manage two separate trips next year. Look into Mousesavers.com, LMT (great discounts on multi-day tickets), Dapper Day (Spring and Fall, very fun and good discounts for the on site hotels and for tickets), etc.

I’m working on the math now. I think that it would make sense to just get a normal DL AP if I planned to go twice. Especially if one trip wasn’t solo.

I’m going to reevaluate based on your suggestion for discounted tickets and times to travel. It’s the plane tickets out to CA that make me hesitant to make two trips.

I say always go as much as possible. It's my happy place and especially at Halloween.

Halloween looks like so much fun. And it’s my favorite at WDW, so I feel like I’d love it at DL. When does DL make the switch to Halloween?

I could try to be there during the transition time for a long stay.

Do you have any more info on this? Do you mean that there’s a WDW AP discount on DL passes?

Sorry, I’m just a bit confused. Numbers swimming in my eyes.
No. The discounts you use your AP for. I have the Signature and get 20% off merchandise and 15% off dining.

Halloween looks like so much fun. And it’s my favorite at WDW, so I feel like I’d love it at DL. When does DL make the switch to Halloween?

I could try to be there during the transition time for a long stay.
Usually Halloween time starts in September

Usually Halloween time starts in September

I might aim for a few days before the switch (this year, it says the overlays will be ready on Sept. 15) to see both regular Disneyland and Halloween decorations. Do some of the attractions close for a few days to install the overlays? (Like Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, or GOTG).

Hard decision. One factor is your prox to each park. Are you closer to WDW or DL. I’d also calculate how many days each trip at Wdw vs DL and divide # of days into cost of AP. Then you could see how much the per day cost for each scenario would be.
We love DLR Halloween decorations. Esp DCA. I wish DHS decorated their entrance like DCA does since entrances are pretty much the same. Cars Land was amazing.

Hard decision. One factor is your prox to each park. Are you closer to WDW or DL. I’d also calculate how many days each trip at Wdw vs DL and divide # of days into cost of AP. Then you could see how much the per day cost for each scenario would be.
We love DLR Halloween decorations. Esp DCA. I wish DHS decorated their entrance like DCA does since entrances are pretty much the same. Cars Land was amazing.

I’m in NC, so I’m closer to WDW. But I usually still fly anyway.

I like the idea of a per day cost. I’d been calculating how much each scenario would cost from a number of trips basis. And using what I spent this year with a WDW AP as a guide. So far, I think it would about even out.

Right now I’m leaning toward renewing my WDW AP (going there twice) and going to DL OOP in early Sept. to catch both regular DL and Halloween DL.

I might aim for a few days before the switch (this year, it says the overlays will be ready on Sept. 15) to see both regular Disneyland and Halloween decorations. Do some of the attractions close for a few days to install the overlays? (Like Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, or GOTG).

Yes they do. Haunted Mansion will go down for around two weeks if I recall so it will be very difficult for you to be there before and after to experience both during your stay. I recommend you go to the Haunted Mansion during the nightmare before Christmas in early to mid October. It usually is at least cool in the evening and occasionally it's cool during the day around that time. But it can also be in the 90s in October but September and August usually are very hot months. Also if you can, try to go to one of the Halloween Party's.

Yes they do. Haunted Mansion will go down for around two weeks if I recall so it will be very difficult for you to be there before and after to experience both during your stay. I recommend you go to the Haunted Mansion during the nightmare before Christmas in early to mid October. It usually is at least cool in the evening and occasionally it's cool during the day around that time. But it can also be in the 90s in October but September and August usually are very hot months. Also if you can, try to go to one of the Halloween Party's.

Aw darn. That does foil my plan to see both. I have done “normal” DL HM before though. I might just go in October as you suggest.

Halloween sounds wonderful and I definitely want to attend one of the parties!

PS - I also graduated from UNC!

Aw darn. That does foil my plan to see both. I have done “normal” DL HM before though. I might just go in October as you suggest.

Halloween sounds wonderful and I definitely want to attend one of the parties!

PS - I also graduated from UNC!

Always good to speak with a fellow alumni!!! You will love Halloween time at Disneyland. The special holiday food they come out with is fantastic. It is the absolute best time of the year to go to Disneyland. We always try to go to DL during Halloween as well as Knott's Scary Farms. Halloween time is crowded, as always at Disneyland, but with proper planning you will have a wonderful time. The folks here are very knowledgeable so ask away any questions you have on planning, food and anything else. It's quite a bit different than WDW but with smart planning and a go with the flow outlook you will have a super vacation.

I was playing with getting an AP but the one that would work for me is the Deluxe and If I got it I figured I'd have to go 3 times this year to make my money on it. Also You have to look at the black out dates. I couldn't do an AP this trip because Saturday is blocked. While I'm there I might upgrade my pass - if I do I'll be doing 2 more trips - 1 for Halloween & 1 for Christmas.

Is six days too long at the parks in one trip? I’d like to see all the entertainment, take it relatively slow, shop, and reride things.

If I go at Halloween, I’d do the party and the Happy Haunts tour. Maybe another tour?

Last edited:
Is six days too long at the parks in one trip? I’d like to see all the entertainment, take it relatively slow, shop, and reride things.

If I got at Halloween, I’d do the party and the Happy Haunts tour. Maybe another tour?
Six days is super. We were there for six days last June, and it was terrific. We had a wonderful time, and we were never bored.

If I go at Halloween, I’d do the party and the Happy Haunts tour. Maybe another tour?

We are going for 8 in October although one day will mostly be spent at Knott's so it's really just 7 days so I'd say 6 is not too much. Especially if you have never been to DL or haven't been in a while.

I’m in NC, so I’m closer to WDW. But I usually still fly anyway.

I like the idea of a per day cost. I’d been calculating how much each scenario would cost from a number of trips basis. And using what I spent this year with a WDW AP as a guide. So far, I think it would about even out.

Right now I’m leaning toward renewing my WDW AP (going there twice) and going to DL OOP in early Sept. to catch both regular DL and Halloween DL.
Last Sept we went 9/6-9/13 and both Space & HM were down for overlay. But it was exciting to go each day to see what new Halloween decorations were up. Fun. I think if you went late Sept you’d be good. Maybe a few days after we left they were scheduled to open. Ugh!

I used to say go for the AP, but prices are ridiculous if you want to make sure you aren't blacked out on at least one weekend day. So, unless you can go once a month at least, the AP just ends up feeling like an obligation. We dropped our APs in January and I'm hoping to get back to enjoying DL as it will be a special activity once a year instead of nearly a chore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter