• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do I really need a camera?

Reality is most people buy a bigger camera with a million different settings, set it to "auto" and then take pictures....(not everyone, but most people do) when a camera on many cellphones will do just as well or better than the average 'big' camera set on 'auto' anyway....my point being unless one takes the time to learn to use all those cool manual settings, ther'es not much point in dragging it every day.a cellphone camera works very well. They're optimized for easy use and excellent photos in general lighting situations. That said, I'll likely bring my little hybrid with the 30x zoom and some general presets to get close ups of details that I'm wanting... (like family on rides) otherwise cellphone it is.

I always use my phone- the camera is just too much to carry around for me, especially when I decide not to bring a backpack. I've also found that it is a lot easier to just pull out the phone which takes better pictures if I'm in a hurry.

As a photographer I've always brought my dslr, but this past trip I decided to experiment with just bringing my phone because of the new rule about electronics bigger than a cell phone having to be taken out of bags at the TSA check points. I had the iPhone 7 plus at the time and I am SO happy with how well my shots came out, even some night shots. I've had one printed onto an acrylic wall mount at 11x14 and it looks fabulous. Very little (if any) pixelation, colors look great (I do still edit them afterwards, just like I would with my dslr), and all the little details are still there.

I've purchased some lenses from Moment for my phone (a wide angle and telephoto) and don't think I'll be traveling to WDW with my main camera for a while since we've already been so often. I now have the iPhone X which has an even better camera than my 7 did. I don't regret not bringing my camera at all and it let me travel even lighter than I already did before!
Moment lenses work like a charm.

I take photographs with my good DSLR on all vacation trips - except Disney. My phone takes good photos, and I use interesting angles and things to get more "artsy" with it. I've just never wanted to schlep anything that heavy (and fragile). I'll check out Moment lenses - they sound interesting!

Cameras on phones have gotten so much better and a great way to post pictures. I would also recommend photo pass. We get it all the time and it is well worth the money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter