• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

do we stay in LA or Anaheim??

An2net

Earning My Ears
Hi guys,

Looking for some expert advice regarding on the best 'base' for when we get over there. We are planning on doing the whole L.A/Hollywood sight-seeing and Universal for 3 days, then doing Disneyland for 3 days, then going to San Diego for 2. We inittially were going to stay in Anaheim and drive back & forth to Hollywood but now hubby is having second thoughts, wanting to cut back on travel time etc. (we have two little ones with us so we will have to be going back to the hotel in the afternoons for quick naps before we head out again). So: do we stay in the middle of both attractions and if so, where? Or can someone tell me how long it takes to drive from Anaheim to Hollywood (every map I look at tells me something different!). Or do we stay in Hollywood and venture out to Anaheim??? Oh, also, the 3 day park hoppers don't have to be used 3 straight days in a row do they? I think you have 13 days before they expire? Is this right?

Looking forward to hearing from you

An2net

We had a similar itinerary to you when we went in October.

We actually stayed at the Hojo in Anaheim whilst we were going to Disneyland and then moved onto The Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel at Studio City for the Hollywood/Universal part of our trip.

We really liked the Sportsmen's Lodge. They had a free shuttle to and from Universal which would also drop you off at the train station if you ask, and Hollywood Blvd is the next stop on the train.

I am not sure of the exact distance but I think from Anaheim to Hollywood would be at least 45 mins driving. So personally, I would not like to be going back and forth.

Good luck

xxx

My original plan was to stay in Hollywood for a week and drive to Anaheim and San Diego for the day. But we looked at the distances and decided we wanted the convenience of going back to the hotel for rests during the day, so we decided to move hotels. So now we're staying in Hollywood for 2 nights (Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Hollywood Walk of Fame), San Diego for 1 night (Days Inn Seaworld) and Anaheim for 4 nights (HoJo).

The reason I went with the Holiday Inn in Hollywood was it was one of the only hotels that would take 5 of us in one room. If there's only four of you, you'll have a lot more options.

If that is your itinerary than I think what you are doing is best. I'm assuming this is your first visit as this is almost identical to our first trip itinerary.

However ever since our first trip we just base ourselves at Disneyland. I don't really like LA or Hollywood at all. I have no interest in going back. The only places I like to visit (Disney Concert Hall and Architecture Design museum) I will happily do day trips to and put up with the traffic. And although a rip off there is parking at Universal. [but again I haven't gone there the past 2 trips]

If you are there when Disneyland has extended hours there are BIG advantages of basing yourselves at Disneyland because you can always watch the fireworks from between the parks. [they will inevitably be cancelled some nights]

Have a great trip and the hopper tickets are used over 14 days.
So a 3 day hopper is 3 days over a 14 day period. The 14 days starts from the first day you use it.

I'd stay in Anaheim for the Disneyland portion and then Hollywood for the other bit. We stayed at The Renaissance right in the heart of everything and I couldn't rave about it enough. The location is PERFECT!!!! And the price wasn't too bad either.

Thx everyone. We have decided to split our stay - so 3 nights hollywood and 4 in Anaheim.

P.S - Has anyone used www.priceline.com to book accommodation?

An2net

Thx everyone. We have decided to split our stay - so 3 nights hollywood and 4 in Anaheim.

P.S - Has anyone used www.priceline.com to book accommodation?

An2net

Hi An2net

I've used both Priceline and Hotwire auctions (where you're not sure which hotel you are going to get, although I've always been happy with the result).

Just consider the exchange rate and tax (and maybe fees). Also check if they charge additional for parking (most around $25 per day in LA).

Very happy with both sites to use for bookings.

Friend of mine got Anaheim Marriott for about US$65 a night using Priceline.com. She used Priceline for Las Vegas and Seattle as well. Worked out great for her.

I used priceline for pricing then booked direct with the hotel. Gives you more control over your booking, especially possible cancellations. Also, I believe priceline will only guarantee rooms for two people which was no good for us.

Living in California I would be a little careful with Priceline. You could get stuck in a less desirable area. Many hotels out here guarantee lowest rate it if you book it directly through them. Traffic is terrible in Southern Cal so splitting your stay is worth it and hotels in Los Angeles tend to be higher. The Fairfield Inn accross from DL is nice and offers free parking with two restaraunts in the parking lot that are good and inexpensive. Make sure to check parking fees in LA and Anaheim. Many charge up to $25 a day.

thx Disneylove69.....that's interesting to know!! :)

We are now splitting our stay and looking at staying in a rental property via homeaway.com. Great prices (cheaper than hotels) and obviously so much more room. This is really helpful in NY too

An2net

Splitting your stay is easily the best option. If you are unsure about your hotel choices, try tripadvisor.com if you aren't already familiar with it. Hands down the best site on the web for hotel reviews all over the world. No BS just honest to goodness reviews from normal punters. We have booked direct with a number of hotels based purely on the reviews from tripadvisor and have NEVER been led astray.

We are heading to Disneyland and LA IN jan 2011 after cruising Hawaii. We first looked at staying all our time at Disneyland. But after checking out different forums and discussing with our travel agent we have also split our time 5 days at the Sheraton Universal LA and then 5 days at Disneyland and then dividing different tours between the two. As we also would like the day trips to Seaworld, mexico and the highlights of LA. as well as Knotts Berry Farm. Have a great trip:cheer2:

When we were over (November 09) we used a few different sites to book.
Expedia.com.au, hotels.com and hotwire.com
Using hotwire you can head to the betterbidding.com site and narrow down the hotel you are looking at to stay in.
I booked MGM (vegas for $64 a night and, Hyatt mission bay, San Diego for $104 per night and Hyatt regency Orange County for around $60 per night)
Worth having a look ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter