do you drive instead of flying after recent crash?

goofybabe2001

I love Goofy!!!!!!!
Does the recent plane crash change your mind to fly if you had plans to fly in the next couple of days?i was suppose to fly out via the charlotte airport on a similiar type plane and now i am terrified to fly.:confused:

We are flying out of Newark on Sunday. I am not a great flyer to begin with, and this will be my first flight since 9/11. Right now, I am seriously considering driving.

My husband wants to fly, and I was nervous before, but now I am downright terrified. Add in the plane crash that just happened in Turkey..and well...I am really scared.

That is my greatest fear....falling outof the sky.

Dana

Not to scare you more, but another plane was just reported to have crashed in Turkey.. I am supposed to fly tomorrow.. Makes one a little nervous.. However, you have to remember that statistically it is always safer to fly then it is to drive in your car to the airport.

It's hard to be rational about these things, since we were never meant to fly, but statistically it's safer to fly than it is to do just about anything. That's especially true of driving on the freeway, which is just about the most dangerous thing we do in our day-to-day lives.

Just remember that you not only are more likely to die in a car accident than a plane accident, but you are more likely to die in a bathroom accident than on a plane. You're more likely to be struck by lightning. You're more likely to be murdered. You go on with your life even though those risks are there, so you should go on flying even though that tiny risk exists.

Of course, telling myself that doesn't keep me from getting adrenaline sweats in turbulence!

My whole thing with flying is that i have no control.yes more people die in car crashes but at least i have a chance of walking away from a car, in plane crashes very few people every walk away.It also seems that planes crashes always happen in 3's. but i pray that doesn't happen this time.

Commercial airline in the USA during 2002. Driving has a long way to go to even begin to be safer!!

The only reason people don't walk away from plane crashes is that we define "crash" as an event where somebody on board dies. If you count the emergencies landings where everybody walks away just fine (the airline equivalent of a fender bender) then you would think of airlines as even safer. Things sometimes go wrong, but things very rarely go fatally wrong.

As for lack of control, most people that are afraid of flying are not afraid of busses, trains, or cars where somebody else is driving, even though there is a similar lack of control, and even though the person in control of a bus or car is probably less competent than an airline pilot and the computers that help control the plane.

Again, I don't blame anyone who is afraid to fly; I'm a nervous flyer myself. I'm just saying that if you drive because a plane crashed recently, you are putting yourself and your family in grave danger. Your chances of getting to Orlando alive in a car are much smaller than doing so in a plane.

(And no, I don't work for the airline industry.)

I'm a very nervous flier, but I do it. And I think this thought through the whole flight....

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

Someone emailed that to me a long time ago and it's kind of amusing. So I tend to think of people getting kicked in the head by a donkey, rather than the plane or anything on it going wrong.

And I'd like to say, as an eeyore, that I have never killed anyone. :)

Wouldn't stop me. I was on business in San Jose during 9/11. I did not have a problem getting on a plane 9/16 to get back to CT. I understand peoples fear of flying and such, but the stats are true. Just to give you an idea, there are around 10-11 million flights by US Air Carriers (Domestic & 10 or more seats) per year.

I'm more afraid of driving than flying. Heck at least none of the pilots are teenagers or so near blindness that they miss stop signs and traffic lights!

Plane crashes are rare. Accidents on the road are far more common. Fly to your vacation and enjoy it, you'll be OK.

TreeofLife I agree with what you said 100%

I flew within a few weeks of 9/11, much to the dismay of my family. I have flown numerous times since then, and I figure I have a higher risk of an accident on the way to/from the airport than I do from flying itself!

No way is fear getting in the way of my WDW time!!!

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCVs 2002

I'm more afraid of driving than flying. Heck at least none of the pilots are teenagers or so near blindness that they miss stop signs and traffic lights!

And, they don't have cell phones glued to their ears.

I flew the Friday after 9/11 and had no trepidations at all. I have more fear driving in a parking lot at the mall. That is a VERY dangerous thing to do. :)

...The crash comes some 14 months after the last commercial airline fatalities in the United States, federal officials said...

Plane crashes are quite rare, given the large number of plane takeoffs and landings in a year.

Like anything in life, there is always a small risk involved.

Consider:

Odds of dying in your lifetime:

as a car occupant : 1 in 244
Rail/train passenger: 1 in 65,870
Air & space travel : 1 in 4,975
Falling on stairs : 1 in 2,503
Accidental drowning : 1 in 1,008
Exposure to smoke or fire : 1 in 1,062
Death by assault (homocide) : 1 in 211
Poisoning : 1 in 1,371

source: www.nsc.org

I would be much more afraid to drive 18 hours than fly for 2. Although I have never flown in a propeller plane, I would rather have a jet.

My second cousin was killed on USAir 427 and our first trip to WDW was 1 month later (1994). I got on that plane without hesitation. What is meant to be will be.

Gail, speaking of mall parking lots, my aunt was nearly killed in a car accident in one 2 years ago, she had a severely lacarated liver. She was always afraid to fly, had never flown, she ended up on the life flight which saved her life!

The thing about lifetime death odds is that it doesn't account for the frequency of the event. Auto fatalities are going to be high simply because so many people drive so frequently. That's why risk is adjusted by passenger miles (i.e., two people in a car for a 10 mile ride is 20 passenger miles).

According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (http://www.bts.gov/publications/pocketguide/):

There were 97 airline fatalities in 2000 (large and commuter) and 41,812 highway fatalities. But there were a little over 4 quadrillion highway passenger miles compared to 515 billion airline passenger miles. You have to adjust for the frequency of travel.

There were roughly 8 times as many highway passenger miles as air passenger miles, but there were 431 times as many fatalities. That means that holding distance traveled steady, you are roughly 53 times more likely to die in a car accident than to die in a plane crash.

Those numbers don't lie. Of course, your odds of dying in a car crash are also very slim, but are far higher than the plane. If you drive because you're afraid to fly, you're taking your life into your own hands.

Im glad somebody started this thread because I had been thinking about this all day.
Let me say first, before I whine on about myself,I feel terrible for the victims and families.
That being said, I was just sitting here thinking, "I cant get on a plane in a month, I just cant do it"and then I just happened to find this thread. As bizarre as it sounds, I feel better knowing that Im not alone for feeling this way.
Goofybabe2001, I was thinking about the rule of 3's too. I hate to think like that but I cant help it.
I know I need to think rationally about this but the 2 hours and 10 min. of our flight will honestly feel like about 200 hours for me.

I'm thinking about the rule of 3's too!!!

I leave in 16 days.

Yes I realize it's irrational but I'm seriously afraid to get on that plane.

I'm sitting here trying to determine which is stronger. My need to go to Disney again after two years, or my fear of flying.

I have been afraid to fly since I was 10 years old, let's just say, I am a lot older then 10 now.:p :p I have been to hypnotists, psychologist, I have read books and been to meetings. I am just afraid to fly. Ever since I came to the reality that I am afraid and it's OK to be afraid, I have been able to fly. Really funny, but it's true. Once I realized that EVERYONE has some sort of fear I was OK.:smooth:

3 words, folks....

"Captain's and Coke"!!! LOL!!!

(of course, referring to Captain Morgans and Coca-Cola!!)

Enjoy your trips!!!!

LOL Michelle, my doctor gives me a small script for valium. Enough for on the way down and back. I may have a cocktail the night before I leave. The last trip to Disney, I went to PI the night before we went home. I was hungover and felt too lousy to be afraid. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter