• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you have a security system?

Sonya

Kaki Gori veteran
DH and I are moving to a new home that doesn't have a security system and we were wanting to get one installed. The one we have now is by a private company and is expensive to get installed but really quite affordable on the monitoring- $20/month.
The only others I know about are ADT and Brinks. Anyone have really good luck with them or any others?

I had friends with both of those and both had problems. We have Honeywell security and love it!

Sonya--we also have one that was privately installed (fairly expensive) but is relatively inexpensive for monitoring. (~$20/month as well). I have been VERY VERY pleased with their service, and would choose them again over ADT, Honeywell, Sonitrol or any of the biggies.

We have a security system. It's called Golden Retriever. Only problem is, it would welcome burglars. I think you might want to stay away from it and get an ADT.;)

yup...we have a 'system'...but we don't turn it on (the fire protection is on all the time) aside from that...we have a multi-layered protections system....

1)me
2)Darling dog...who would at least bark at a stranger
3)Loaded 44 w/hallow points in bed stand

no monthly monitoring charge!

LOL, we have the big dog too. And she's a baby if you are okay with us. And a daughter who walks the the neighborhood with her boas wrapped around her.
So far so good.

I had a gun too, but my h was afraid I'd use it on him so he took it somewhere. :rolleyes: :p
It was too big for me anyway. lol

Yep we have one but don't use it all that much. We use it when we go out of town mostly. It is nice thought to know if I push 2 buttons together that the police are called no questions asked. I have animals so when we use it we just leave it on "At home" so that movement inside doesn't set it off. Heck it would go off every 2 seconds if we didn't. It costs us $17.50 per month.

Yes, you have a GREAT Alarm System there!;) Since my Golden Died a year ago, we had to purchase a System...we found ADT to be the best.;) P.W. the Dachshund still helps a little, but he is usually in his Blankie, and is too tired to get out and Bark--unless he smells Food!:o

Well Golden Retriever or any canine system won't work for us, and the cats don't do a very good job.;) I'm a baby ever since we got broken into and am paranoid about setting it. DH is too. Honeywell is something we hadn't thought about, DH will look into that. Anyone else have any pros or cons?

but we have those lights that go on if someone walks in that area....they are heat sensors......one on each side of the house and boy they lite up the neighborhood

ADT has been great for us. I set it all the time. When we got our rescued kitty, she hid out in the basement for a day or so. Then I got a call and remembered we had a motion detector. I convinced them it was just a new kitty and they didn't call the police. So I set it for the at home setting most all the time now. I set it when we are home at night too. My ex had been coming in uninvited and my daughter sensed that someone was invading the house. I didn't tell her she was right, but it has stopped him. lol And she feels more secure with it on. We also have the smoke detectors tied into it. And THAT makes me feel more secure. ;)

Yes, it's called a German shepperd and NOBODY gets past her, ask my friend who wanted to place easter eggs in my yard the other day at 2 am and got the scare of a lifetime, ROFL.

Hey grinningghost, I've got that same model myself, lol. I have the 'old and fat' version though. So she will get up and welcome any intruder but she takes a couple of minutes to get around to it, lol.

Our 80 lb. doberman MIGHT let someone in...but they wouldn't get out! :teeth:

When we relocated to a large city in NE Florida, we moved from a very small township in Ohio with 3 traffic lights and a volunteer fire department.

I was delighted to see that the house we were buying had a very good start with a monitored security system with fire alarms. I had the motion detector disabled from the system and I had alarms on every window and door, plus a wireless module so we can set it from our keychains. Also, any new modules that were added did not have to be wired.

Last year, I had a phone module installed so I can check the status and arm or disarm it from any touchtone phone, including my cell phone.

We had Ameritech Security Link until they were bought out by ADT, which is owned by Tyco. They are the largest alarm monitoring company and have been in business for at least 35 years, probably more.

I pay $26 a month for alarm and fire monitoring, and I just activated a $7 per month addition to pay for any service calls I might need, because I have some changes planned that will require some visits.

We set the alarm every time we leave the house and every night around 11 or 11:30pm, even when we have over night company.

Even though we haven't had any problems in the neighborhood, I like the secure feeling of knowing we're monitored.

Every 3 or 4 weeks, I set the audible alarm off on purpose to test it and also to make it obvious to anyone nearby that we have one installed.

I like having one and I read about advancements often to see if my system can be improved. I like the two button immediate call feature too, and thankfully have never had to use it.

I do know that the alarm company does call our number very quickly after the alarm goes off and they do ask for the password. They did send the police out once when we were out of town and my Mom came in to get something and didn't leave quickly enough after setting it. Somehow, she got the audible alarm to quit and then went outside before they called. Since no one answered the phone call, they sent the police out to check very soon after that.

hope that helps

Originally posted by Keli
Hey grinningghost, I've got that same model myself, lol. I have the 'old and fat' version though. So she will get up and welcome any intruder but she takes a couple of minutes to get around to it, lol.

We have the middle aged and fat model. She doesn't move around too quick either. :D

Originally posted by Beauty
I have animals so when we use it we just leave it on "At home" so that movement inside doesn't set it off. Heck it would go off every 2 seconds if we didn't.

Same here. With the two cats, we need to keep it off of the motion detector section because of them. When we go away on vacation, we put the cats in the bedroom/bath area, so we can set the motion detector and they won't be in that area.

We had our house burglarized many years ago in Orlando, and got one installed the very next day. We had Brinks then. Now we're in Tampa Bay area and have ADT. We pay $27/month for monitoring.

Yep. Our new house came with one when we got it, all we had to do was activate it. We have it monitored by a local company and have been very happy with the service. DH's house had an attempted break in when he and his sister were the only two home when he was in high school, so ours is always on if we aren't home. And when I'm here by myself and DH won't be coming home soon (like, he's out of town) I always activate it but disable the motion detector. I feel much better having one. :)

Every 3 or 4 weeks, I set the audible alarm off on purpose to test it and also to make it obvious to anyone nearby that we have one installed.

Heehee, I do this too, but usually not on purpose.;) Sounds like you have a great system albiats!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter