Do you have to go to the front desk to check out?

Rebecca Pocahontas

Mouseketeer
We don't ever leave a credit card on file and we pay for the whole trip in advance. Are we required to go to the front desk on our check out day just like any other hotel and "turn in our key"?

Not required to. If I'm doing a split stay, I will go to the front desk just to let them know we are done with the room so they can clean it early for the next person :D

I had to ASSp a couple of weeks ago. I have a cc in MDE but got the text the room was ready before we got there so bi-passed the front desk at check in. When I called to tell them I was leaving, which is what I always do because I do split stays, I was told I had to go to the front desk because I hadn't requested express check out. I've never "requested" it before so not sure what that was about. The room was paid for before we got there and we don't charge back to the room so there were no charges. It took me about 2 min. to check out at the front desk.

I just get an email with my folio/charges attached. Review it to be sure it's correct before leaving. I don't think they even put the bills on the door the morning of checkout anymore?

The only time I've gone to the front desk is when I had a split stay and wanted to make sure the dining plan was good to go for the second reservation, since I'd heard on here of people having issues in that situation.

I usually just leave the room and go.

Because you’re not putting a cc down, thatmeans yiu wint have room charging. I think you would also need to put a cc down if you have a dining plan, FYI.

But if you have neither situation, then there’s nothing to close out.

For those moving to another Disney resort, it can be different if you’re heading to the next place before it’s official checkOUT time. In that case they need to have you heckled out. So if it’s 8am and you want to head to the second resort, stop at the front desk to check out. (FYI calling “front desk” gets you to an offsite call center. You’re not talking to anyone near the resort. GO TO the front desk)

Seconded to say I haven't physically checked out of any hotel in about 7-8 years.

Me too.

And I’ve stayed at many hotels in the last 8 years. No one wants their keycards back anymore (and at Disney you’ve got your magicbands which are reusable, or they’ve printed you a personalized keycard if you asked for it).

I know of no hotel or motel that needs you to stop by anymore. :)

I also haven’t checked out of any hotel in a decade or more. I just leave, they know who I am and could track me down if needed.

I have been told that if I am checking into another Disney resort, I need to check out of the first one before I try to check into the next one. Disney's IT isn't that good.

I have been told that if I am checking into another Disney resort, I need to check out of the first one before I try to check into the next one. Disney's IT isn't that good.
Yes, that would be the only case for physically checking out.

As someone who worked in hotels for many years, I always gently ask people to let someone at the hotel know when you leave. The reason is that the hotel can't clean a room if they don't know it's vacant. And without clean rooms, hotels can't allow guests to check in early.

You don't need to visit the Front Desk. Just pick up the phone, dial "0", and tell whoever answers that you're leaving. In any decent hotel, that person will pass along your room number to the right folks. It shouldn't take more than 60 seconds. If no one answers right away, then just leave knowing you tried.

The simple act of letting someone know you left might mean that the next guest staying in that room can get in earlier than normal check-in time. For me, that's worth taking 60 seconds out of my day to do.

As someone who worked in hotels for many years, I always gently ask people to let someone at the hotel know when you leave. The reason is that the hotel can't clean a room if they don't know it's vacant. And without clean rooms, hotels can't allow guests to check in early.

You don't need to visit the Front Desk. Just pick up the phone, dial "0", and tell whoever answers that you're leaving. In any decent hotel, that person will pass along your room number to the right folks. It shouldn't take more than 60 seconds. If no one answers right away, then just leave knowing you tried.

The simple act of letting someone know you left might mean that the next guest staying in that room can get in earlier than normal check-in time. For me, that's worth taking 60 seconds out of my day to do.

I was surprised at how many people don't let someone know they're leaving. This is why I do it. I know it's not necessary, but I like to let them know that they can start cleaning that room whenever they want, so they can get the next person in there. Like you said, I may not stop at the front desk, sometimes I'll look out the door and look for a housekeeper and tell them that we're leaving room XXX in 5 minutes. I could see if you leave right at check out time because really you're supposed to be out then anyway, but I'd say any time before that you should let someone know just out of curtesy.

I only let them know I am leaving, in the hopes it will let anyone else checking in later to perhaps get in the room earlier. If I am at a hotel where leaving will take me past the front desk I stop and tell them, otherwise I call the front desk to let them know right before I leave the room.

I just figured mousekeeping gets there when they get there, whether I tell the resort I'm leaving or not.

I just figured mousekeeping gets there when they get there, whether I tell the resort I'm leaving or not.

The funny thing is the ONLY time I ever seem to see Mousekeeping (not including days that I opt out) has been on check out day. They always arrive early those days so I usually let them know what time I'm leaving. Most other hotels though I do stop by the desk to let them know we've left. I would do the same at Disney if there wasn't always a long line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter