Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

I think the issue with rebanking is that the number of points available for booking if rebanking is permitted will be way more than the inventory available to book. If everyone banked this year's points into next year, booking could be horrible for the next year. Or if you combined rebanked points with banked points and current points, everyone would complain that they couldn't book anything at all other than right at 11 months out. And even then it could be tough.
So are we expecting a suspension of borrowing for next year? Isnt that the same, moving points out of the year they were destined for? What would happen if everyone borrowed out the next year for a whole year, wouldn't this be the same?

I am aware of the contract obligations, and
I honestly do get that it's easier for Disney to process this way, it is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth that there are 2 rules.

Thanks for the interesting exchange though, I need to go build some lego shops.

Newest federal guidance is to avoid gatherings of 10 or more. Dr. Fauci says that guideline will be in effect through 3/31, and then they will be revisited. He is also saying experts expect coronavirus cases to continue into the summer and possibly later.

So are we expecting a suspension of borrowing for next year? Isnt that the same, moving points out of the year they were destined for? What would happen if everyone borrowed out the next year for a whole year, wouldn't this be the same?

I am aware of the contract obligations, and
I honestly do get that it's easier for Disney to process this way, it is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth that there are 2 rules.

Thanks for the interesting exchange though, I need to go build some lego shops.

Honestly, yes, I think we will see a suspension of banking and/or borrowing in 2021 if the shut down of resorts continues through April or into May.

You may also see a change in policy where they no longer allow borrowed points to be put back.

People are saying on FB groups that there is a possibility that DVC will stop all banking/borrowing from happening for a while. Do you think that is possible and if yes, that it will happen soon? I have 36 points that I do not foresee using and plan on banking them. Should I do it now or closer to my banking date (7/31)?

People are saying on FB groups that there is a possibility that DVC will stop all banking/borrowing from happening for a while. Do you think that is possible and if yes, that it will happen soon? I have 36 points that I do not foresee using and plan on banking them. Should I do it now or closer to my banking date (7/31)?

No one knows what they’re going to do. That’s just a theory by people on the internet. Wait until you hear an official announcement. If you know you’re going to bank points, go ahead and do it. If you don’t know, I’d wait.

I think people are speculating because it is part of our contracts and to be honest, if this isn’t a situation where it might be needed, I don’t know what would.

I could see it happen starting with the 2021 UY. But yeah, if you know you aren’t using then i would bank.

Newest of new guidelines is now groups of 10+ for the next 15 days, at which time they'll re-evaluate, with the 50+ for 60 days still in play as well. The re-evaluate is if the 10+ needs to go longer.

Still not promising for reopening theme parks or resorts.

We’ll know a lot more in 2 weeks. We just got word that Houston area schools are shut down through April 10th. All bars and restaurants must close dining areas but are encouraged to provide delivery and to-go.

For those who have stated that "double banking" points should be allowed since they are allowing people to "un-borrow" points, I think the two are very different circumstances.

Reversing the transaction of borrowing isn't analogous to double banking. The equivalent would be allowing you to reverse the banking transaction.

So if DVC wants to treat everyone equally, they would waive the "finality" of both banking and borrowing transactions, allowing you to "un-bank" the points, just as they are allowing others to "un-borrow" the points (i.e., reverse the transaction that put those points into the current UY).

Of course, if you "un-bank" the points, they are now expired, so that would be worse than having them available for the remainder of the current UY.

So, in essence, they ARE waiving borrowing AND banking being final transactions. Unfortunately, that doesn't improve matters for those who banked. Banking again is not the same as banking not being a final, non-reversible transaction. That's why I think they're allowing one and not the other.

I see zero reason why they would stop banking. If anything they stop borrowing and encourage people possibly to wait another year or two before taking a larger point trip so that as many excess points left from this period can be used by members.

Just called MS. Wait time was pretty short. I canceled my April trip and they said that they have just stopped putting borrowed points back in the next UY. I should have called this morning. Luckily I was able to apply my banked/borrowed points towards future reservations in my UY, but that's also assuming those will still happen... None of the points went into holding, and my banking deadline isn't here yet, so they didn't have to bank for me.

Just called MS. Wait time was pretty short. I canceled my April trip and they said that they have just stopped putting borrowed points back in the next UY. I should have called this morning. Luckily I was able to apply my banked/borrowed points towards future reservations in my UY, but that's also assuming those will still happen... None of the points went into holding, and my banking deadline isn't here yet, so they didn't have to bank for me.

Wow. People are going to be upset. I think they realized that was a mistake now that we are looking long term cancellations.

On the plus side, if they are only removing holding but not changing status of points and allowing banking after deadline, we may not need any adjustments or suspensions going forward

Contracts do allow to suspend banking and borrowing. So it can happen.

Read your fine print always!

Unless something drastically changes for the better between now and March 27th, I’ll be cancelling our April MM trip. It’s just so hard to cancel when we’ve been looking forward to it, and it’s still a month and a half away. I don’t want to risk them refusing to pull the points out of holding though, so I’ll cancel in enough time that the points just go back into my account. Sorry for everyone with banked or borrowed points that they can’t use. Whether it’s allowed or not, this stinks.

I just called but the recording said they’re only helping people with reservations through March 31st so I hung up. My trip isn’t until April 10th. I hope I can put my borrowed points back. This was supposed to be my first DVC trip 😭

Unless something drastically changes for the better between now and March 27th, I’ll be cancelling our April MM trip. It’s just so hard to cancel when we’ve been looking forward to it, and it’s still a month and a half away. I don’t want to risk them refusing to pull the points out of holding though, so I’ll cancel in enough time that the points just go back into my account. Sorry for everyone with banked or borrowed points that they can’t use. Whether it’s allowed or not, this stinks.

Since you have about 9 days still, there is a great chance that Disney will announce by then how much longer they will stay closed!

Imo if anyone looks hard at what's going to happen, possibly half country losing jobs... A recession is inevitable. Disney, a luxury, should find some creative solution to ensure folks are coming to park. There are always ways to amend contracts. One crazy idea, could they buy expiring points and issue as gift card to stay... In essence moving the dvc stay to non dvc lodging. Let's assume they have vacancies in non dvc lodging, this then puts money back into Disney via park tickets and dining etc. The thing is no one expected Disney world to close for well let's say months. The system wasn't made for this. Desperate times desperate measures.

I have a June reservation with borrowed points that I’ll be cancelling. I hope they can put those points back. We won’t be able to travel until there is a vaccine. Not sure if I should call yet.

I have a June reservation with borrowed points that I’ll be cancelling. I hope they can put those points back. We won’t be able to travel until there is a vaccine. Not sure if I should call yet.

Some have recently stated that borrowed points couldn't be returned even though a few days ago they did return the points. Maybe its a new policy?

furthermore the recent letter from DVC states that banking rules are enforced so if you haven't banked in due time your are out of luck.

If I end up having to cancel a reservation and I am before my banking deadline I can still bank since it would the first time those points were banked correct?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter