Does a backpack count as a "personal" item on airplane???

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
I would love to pack light for my upcoming trip, and take only a backpack and a carryon suitcase. I won't use a pocketbook, I'd have all my paperwork and ID in the backpack. Will they allow this?? Or will they consider the backpack and small suitcase as being TWO carryons??? Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answer to this! :)

The only way to know for sure is to check with your airline - policies do vary.

IMHO, if the backpack will fit under the seat, you won't have a problem.

I believe USAirways would consider that a carry on and a personal item. You would be ok with them.

I flew US Airways, and had a backpack and a 21" wheeled upright carryon, and they didn't say anything to me about it. I was flying first class, though. It seemed like a lot of people streached the "personal item" thing, and unless you had something appearantly too big, they did not say anything. :)

I have tried the 3 carry on thing before (prior to Sept 11) and it took a lot to get them to let me get away with it! The gate people said nothing, but the FA on the plane wanted to check one piece! We shuffled around bags, and they finally just told me to stow it! LOL, those were the "good old days"!

A backpack does count as a "personal item" when flying with Delta.

Our back pack counted as a carry on with Southwest yesterday (1/27). It was pretty full though and just as big as our carry on. But, there were 3 of us and only 2 carry ons.

It depends on the size of the backpack, the fullness of the flight, and the mood of the gate agents.

Generally speaking, a small kids backpack is a "personal item". A back pack like a kid would use as a book bag is a personal item, unless it is stuffed full, then it's generally going to be a carryon. A back pack that's really more of a woman's purse is going to generally be a personal item. A backpack like you'd go camping or hiking with is going to be a carryon, and might even be too big for that.

There 's really no reason to carry on everything. In your small carryon you should have a change of underwear, essential toiletries, a clean shirt, and perhaps a bathing suit or sweater. Also your laptop, camera, cell phone, etc. I can easily get all this into a carryon small enough to fit under the seat in front of me.

Anne

Thanks for the info, everyone! I will start to pack this weekend and see what I can fit into my smaller carry-on sized suitcase. If I can't fit everything, I will bring my medium sized suitcase and check that, and still just use a backpack as a carryon for my personal items. I'll be travelling alone (till I meet up with my relatives in Florida) so I don't want to weigh myself down too much with luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter