• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else use 417 instead of 1-4 East to get to 95?

tbssenterprises

DIS Veteran
Always wanted to do it and purchased a Sunpass. Never did though until my last trip a few weeks back. I used 417 North to get up to 1-4.....Although it was easy peasy driving, it seemed to have added 15 miles and about 15 minutes onto my 5 hour trip home.

Has anyone else done this comparison. For reference, I left WDW at about 9:00am

We found 417 a few years ago, when there was a bad accident on I-4. Since then, we take 417 South and North to avoid I-4.

We use whatever Google Maps recommends going North or South -- but we're going NE of Orlando to UCF. I certainly wouldn't use I-4 going to the airport!

Sometimes 417 is better, other times Maps takes us I-4 to 408 East. Usually I-4/408 is at night after dinner in Celebration, and it's easy then.

But I agree with @DVC-Don that I-4 could be a mess anytime of the day or night.

I have been using 417 exclusively for years. Both before we moved down here and now. Truth in advertising, we come from the metro DC/Baltimore area and I am willing to pay tolls to avoid traffic.
We live off of I-4 almost right between Orlando and Tampa. Going west, 417 dumps you onto I-4 just between 192 and World drive. Traffic is always horrible there because it dumps three large traffic arteries onto I-4 within a short distance, then it goes for miles until you get past Champions Gate when it starts to open up. Traffic can be/Is pretty bad in that area east or west but 417 is the bomb in allowing you to avoid I-4 around Orlando to or from Daytona.

Last edited:

Is this route well marked for getting on coming South from Jacksonville and well marked where to get off for WDW resorts? (not driving now) i can see it in the map, although my route gives no option for it. While driving, i won‘t be able to use the map if navigation avoids it. Thanks

Is this route well marked for getting on coming South from Jacksonville and well marked where to get off for WDW resorts? (not driving now) i can see it in the map, although my route gives no option for it. While driving, i won‘t be able to use the map if navigation avoids it. Thanks
Yes it is. You'll be on I-4 for a bit and you'll see several signs for 417. Once on 417 you'll continue to either exit 6 or 3 depending on which resort you are going to at Disney.

Always use 417 to and from MCO. It breezes along pretty good. Have never really run into a real backup on it other than some construction near the airport. We usually take it to exit 6 and then connect to S536 or S535 depending where we're staying.

Last edited:
I-4 Express Lanes are now open from Longwood to Universal. Theoretically, that should get around the backups in downtown Orlando. A transponder is required; any transponder accepted in FL, including E-ZPass, will do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter