Does Anyone Spend a Season or More at the Fort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicely Making Way

Earning My Ears
Does anyone spend a season or extended period of time camping at the Fort? How long can you actually get a reservation for?

Thanks much!

Does anyone spend a season or extended period of time camping at the Fort? How long can you actually get a reservation for?

Thanks much!

There are some folks there on an <--- extended ---> (WAY extended) period of time. They spend their money the way they want to.

The answers above are correct though. 30 days max each reservation but you can back-to-back-to-back as many reservations as you want to as long as you book early enough.

If you pay rack rate with tax, these are the annual costs to stay at the Fort (with all the fluctuations and different rate periods):
  • Tent/Pop-up: $39,997 (+8.5%)
  • Full: $51,328 (+8.7%)
  • Preferred: $57,370 (+9.1%)
  • Premium: $60,764 (+8.5)
  • Premium Meadow: $65,890 (+17.6% over 2019 Premium rates to establish this category)
The number in parenthesis is the increase over 2019 rates (and Meadow was new for 2020 so that bigger percentage is the number compared to the 2019 Premium rates from which it sprang from).

Bama Ed

PS - I had a friend a few years back whose father spent more than 6 months (but not full time) at the Fort annually and got a Florida driver's license with the Fort's address so he could establish Florida residency (he had the receipts from the Fort to prove it (Florida discounts, no income tax, yada yada.....)) Not sure I understood it all.

Last edited:
There are some folks there on an <--- extended ---> (WAY extended) period of time. They spend their money the way they want to.

The answers above are correct though. 30 days max each reservation but you can back-to-back-to-back as many reservations as you want to as long as you book early enough.

If you pay rack rate with tax, these are the annual costs to stay at the Fort (with all the fluctuations and different rate periods):
  • Tent/Pop-up: $39,997 (+8.5%)
  • Full: $51,328 (+8.7%)
  • Preferred: $57,370 (+9.1%)
  • Premium: $60,764 (+8.5)
  • Premium Meadow: $65,890 (+17.6% over 2019 Premium rates to establish this category)
The number in parenthesis is the increase over 2019 rates (and Meadow was new for 2020 so that bigger percentage is the number compared to the 2019 Premium rates from which it sprang from).

Bama Ed

PS - I had a friend a few years back whose father spent more than 6 months (but not full time) at the Fort annually and got a Florida driver's license with the Fort's address so he could establish Florida residency (he had the receipts from the Fort to prove it (Florida discounts, no income tax, yada yada.....)) Not sure I understood it all.
Thanks much

I know, right. We've made reservations for ten days next February (21) it'll be the longest we've stayed there so we'll see how that goes. I'm sure we'll pop in there some time this summer too.

I met several campers that stay for thirty days at a time. They do it two or three times a year. I go several times a year but only stay a few days.

Yowza. That puts the prices into perspective.

You bet it does.

My issue is how many years in a row of 8-9 percent price increases do they start pricing reasonable people out of the marketplace? 8-9 percent is not a new phenomenon for 2020 - it has been happening across the board. Rates are never frozen (zero increase) year after year. The resorts at WDW are slaves to their corporate masters who demand more revenue and greater profits for a resort General Manager to be evaluated by (fired or kept on).

The difference in time of year will keep becoming amplified as summer-to-September drags behind (too hot for locals to come out, only die hards trailer it in summer) and spring break/Easter then Halloween-New Years will keep rocketing up. There are some nice RV/camping alternatives outside the resort that the only downside I see is 60-day FP.

The issue is NOT "can I affort a long term stay at these rates". The issue is "do I want to pay these rates to get 60-day FP and general Fort ambiance" as the only perceivable benefit versus what I can pay long-term off-site. Then again, the stock market has been doing well the last few years which may help people weather the prices increases. And I can come over to the Fort (day time or night time) and soak up some Fort ambiance but do I need to experience it .EVERY. .SINGLE. .DAY. .AND. .NIGHT.? Some folks will answer "Yes" but for others they will respond "No".

The longest trip to FW I've ever done is a week but within 5 years I hope to schedule a 2-3 week trip (I think I would go stir crazy beyond 21 days). That's a personal kind of question that only every individual can answer. I am lucky that in the future with my kids nearly grown (and off the payroll.....) I can hopefully visit during lower rate periods in the future.

But to each his own.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
You bet it does.

My issue is how many years in a row of 8-9 percent price increases do they start pricing reasonable people out of the marketplace? 8-9 percent is not a new phenomenon for 2020 - it has been happening across the board. Rates are never frozen (zero increase) year after year. The resorts at WDW are slaves to their corporate masters who demand more revenue and greater profits for a resort General Manager to be evaluated by (fired or kept on).

The difference in time of year will keep becoming amplified as summer-to-September drags behind (too hot for locals to come out, only die hards trailer it in summer) and spring break/Easter then Halloween-New Years will keep rocketing up. There are some nice RV/camping alternatives outside the resort that the only downside I see is 60-day FP.

The issue is NOT "can I affort a long term stay at these rates". The issue is "do I want to pay these rates to get 60-day FP and general Fort ambiance" as the only perceivable benefit versus what I can pay long-term off-site. Then again, the stock market has been doing well the last few years which may help people weather the prices increases. And I can come over to the Fort (day time or night time) and soak up some Fort ambiance but do I need to experience it .EVERY. .SINGLE. .DAY. .AND. .NIGHT.? Some folks will answer "Yes" but for others they will respond "No".

The longest trip to FW I've ever done is a week but within 5 years I hope to schedule a 2-3 week trip (I think I would go stir crazy beyond 21 days). That's a personal kind of question that only every individual can answer. I am lucky that in the future with my kids nearly grown (and off the payroll.....) I can hopefully visit during lower rate periods in the future.

But to each his own.

Bama Ed
It seems no matter what Disney does as far as raising prices in every corner of the resort people still come. Until people start staying home they won’t stop raising prices.
The longest we’ve ever stayed is 5 days and we don’t go to any of the parks so we’ll see how we do with 10 days next February.

I’ve spoken with several members of DisneyWorld senior management and The Walt Disney Company executives about this very issue over the past couple of months. As a shareholder I am glad, and expect, revenue to be maximized at Fort Wilderness.

Fort Wilderness is a premium campground that absolutely commands a premium price. If your income doesn’t allow you to spend time at the highest rated vacation destination in the world you should definitely consider other (lesser) destinations and it will make Disneyworld and The Fort a better experience for those of us who can.

I’ve spoken with several members of DisneyWorld senior management and The Walt Disney Company executives about this very issue over the past couple of months. As a shareholder I am glad, and expect, revenue to be maximized at Fort Wilderness.

Fort Wilderness is a premium campground that absolutely commands a premium price. If your income doesn’t allow you to spend time at the highest rated vacation destination in the world you should definitely consider other (lesser) destinations and it will make Disneyworld and The Fort a better experience for those of us who can.

Wow, thanks for your candid comments, I'm a shareholder as well but couldn't disagree with you more on your thoughts. But good luck and enjoy the resort

No different than complaining about a Mercedes costing too much. If you can’t afford a Mercedes you‘ll need to consider a Hyundai or Kia. It gets tiresome reading the non-stop complaints of price increases at Fort Wilderness. The Walt Disney Company is a business not a charity.

I’m glad you posted this. Another issue I have brought to the attention of DisneyWorld senior management: Just like the “pool hoppers”, you expect to be able to “come over to the Fort (day time or night time) and soak up some Fort ambiance“ without paying for same. This is a perfect example of why I continue to encourage DisneyWorld senior management to restrict access to The Fort to the guests who are willing and able to pay for the experience and amenities of Fort Wilderness.

bama-ed wants to pay off-site campground rates but still access Fort Wilderness amenities others are paying for. Nice.

This will be exhibit #1 for my next meeting with Tom Mazloum in a couple weeks.
With all due respect nothing you’ve said has anything to do with my original post perhaps you should start a post of your own.
I also don’t appreciate you taking personal shots at someone who is simply being part of this conversation.
And please tell Tom I said hi

Either your friend and/or his father were lying then or you are now. DisneyWorld prohibits any residency at Fort Wilderness (that’s the reason for the 30 day reservation window). Orange County FL tax collector / DMV has had both Fort Wilderness addresses flagged (unable to use as an address) for decades because of this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter