Does owning DVC really save money?

Neither did I, but the same things apply now as then.
Don't worry - this particular topic never gets old, and will always be open to debate. I think I did a thorough enough evaluation before buying DVC in 2011, but I always reevaluate every year, and re-forecast my spreadsheet numbers for the next 5 to 10 years. Since the DW and I were already empty-nesters when we purchased, and we knew that trips with the grandchildren would not be happening until 2020 or later, we had a different set of criteria for our decision making. When our kids were of prime Disney age (~7-17), we could only afford a Disney vacation every three years or so, and the initial buy-in to DVC was a bit ambitious for us, as we used our money back then for other things like mortgage/groceries/tuition :earboy2:

Then, as empty nesters, we started our travel period, and we did a lot of cruises, with a few land based trips to Europe & Sweden thrown in. We agreed, after a couple "budget trips" that it was worth paying a little more for nicer accommodations and amenities, and we always try to balance that on our vacations. We actually only looked into DVC while on a trip to Florida which was spent researching "Snow-Bird" options for our retirement years. We like our home in Maryland, and our family is all close by, but we don't like the winters here. Long-Story-Short:
After comparing costs of a small home or RV or Trailer-Park home in Florida, including taxes, maintenance, realtor fees to sub-lease, insurance, etc... it quickly exceeded our budget goals. We reluctantly took a DVC tour just before returning home in 2011, and I kept the poor guide tied up for more than 3 hours, going over every angle. We bought on the spot, and have not had a single regret. I started a spreadsheet in 2011, and compared the running DVC costs to what we would have spent on similar accommodations elsewhere and I showed us breaking even last year. Next year we are planning our 1st trip with all 3 granddaughters, and without DVC, I don't think I could afford a 3 Bedroom Grand Villa for 6 adults and 3 kids, but we will have enough points to cover us. So I think if you are diligent and methodical, and you like to plan as I do, you can enjoy vacations at Disney in a nicer-than-hotel setting, and also save money. The caveat; you have to use it, and enjoy it. We have taken several DVC trips without buying park tickets, as we just want to be in Florida in January to get away from Maryland weather. It has been a great purchase for us, and we are considering buying more points when I retire fully, and stretch out our snowbird window to include January & February!:darth:

When we finally joined we'd already been purchasing the AP for the discounted rooms and booking 3 night stays at the Yacht club (because I like that deluxe the best) to be in walk-able distance of EPCOT about 3 times a year. So purchasing for us did save $$ until we figured out that for the same cost of our previous 3 day stay we could stay 5, 6 or 7 days (depending on the time of year). When we did that I'd say we were about even. We eat the same amount of food, drink about the same, buy the same amount souvenirs - joining DVC for us really was all about the room.

Now, to my way of thinking, what I think is a waste is that we own two resorts that will either have to be sold or willed. I actually prefer the resorts that end in 2042 because I'm fairly sure that I'll get full use from them. :tilt:

It has saved us money. If we totaled the cost of rooms for all of our trips, our DVC points had paid for themselves.

I'm not sure it has saved me money. Sure the comparison of staying deluxe vs dvc is a cost saving. However, I've taken many more DVC vacations, increased the number of days in parks, upgraded and increased my dining experiences and generally relaxed my budget for my disney vacations (always stayed moderate before). What it has done is allowed me the opportunity to stay in a better resort, with bigger accommodations (when travelling with family), in a better location. That gives me enormous satisfaction. I'm trying not to think about future dues increases. At any rate if I did decide to sell, I can get almost twice what I paid for my points. Not many timeshare owners can say that.

You don't really save money. The whole system is predicated on the fact that you vacation at Disney every year (or maybe every other). Disney is fun, but there is a whole world out there with a ton of great experiences as well. Because you go more often you tend to spend the money that would normally go to a hotel on other experiences on profit.

I am in the process of selling my contract after about 4 years. The prices are up on resale (probably net about 30% profit after commissions).

The things driving my sale:

1.) Ticket prices in the past 5 years have increased at a rate much greater than inflation.

2.) Annual Dues, which you have to pay are also increasing at a rate much greater than inflation. The current trend is not looking good.

3.) Disney is nickle and diming everything... parking fees, upcharges, special event pricing, etc.

4.) Deluxe resorts but the rooms are not maintained in a Deluxe manner

We have a great time there and will go back in the future but DVC is not the bargain it once was.

You don't really save money. The whole system is predicated on the fact that you vacation at Disney every year (or maybe every other). Disney is fun, but there is a whole world out there with a ton of great experiences as well. Because you go more often you tend to spend the money that would normally go to a hotel on other experiences on profit.

I am in the process of selling my contract after about 4 years. The prices are up on resale (probably net about 30% profit after commissions).

1.) Ticket prices in the past 5 years have increased at a rate much greater than inflation.

2.) Annual Dues, which you have to pay are also increasing at a rate much greater than inflation. The current trend is not looking good.

3.) Disney is nickle and diming everything... parking fees, upcharges, special event pricing, etc.

We have a great time there and will go back in the future but DVC is not the bargain it once was.
Sorry to see you leave the DVC; could you PM me with info. on what you may be selling?:darth:

You absolutely are in the right to sell your contract if you are no longer interested in owning. I also agree that Disney, along with many other vacation destinations, are getting much more expensive as the economy recovered and grew.

Two things worth pointing out, though. If you are selling for a 30% profit after just 4 years, then DVC not only saved you money, it actually is making a profit for you.
Also, parking fees do not affect DVC members. That actually goes into the "saves money" side of the argument, regardless of how you feel about their decision to implement these fees.

we bought in 1993 for 56 dollars a point OKW which was only resort then. we sold this year for for 93 dollars a point. Factoring in inflation i would call it break even. We went every year for 25 years-mostly OKW but occasionally other DVC hotels. You are actually buying discounted accomodations for the top end hotels. If you want to go every year and never think of the price then i would say DVC is for you. If you are a every 2-3 yearer then i would say no because you also have to add in your yearly taxes/maintenance fees which for us in the last year was 1500 dollars. Our medical conditions which have changed in 25 years prompted our sale.

You are saving money on hotel rooms only as Disney price increases are much higher than i inflation rates, however you come to WDW or do another Disney vacation more often than you would when paying cash so you end up spending either the same amount or more money. We used to do a Disney vacation for only 4 or 5 nights every few years now we do 10-12 nights twice a year. Of course part of the reason we come more often is that we are retired and have the time to vacation more. If we paid cash for our current trip November 27-December 14 we would pay $6171 including the hotel tax and a 35% off the standard room rate for our dates. There is no way we could afford that twice a year. We definitely spend more money, than pre DVC however we have way more quality time at a Disney resort and we still spend much less than if we were paying cash.

Last edited:
I have noticed in the year and a half of ownership that I have had that DVC has already changed my approach to Disney more than save me money. I was talking to my boss who is putting in over $11000 for his trip to Disney over winter break. Compared to him, I'm saving thousands. But he is doing a one and done trip where he wants to go on many rides, eat as many meals as possible, go to the bippidi boppidi boutique, and the whole nine yards. I'm only going because we got a great deal on annual passes and will be down there anyway, despite having already been to Disney 4 times in the past 3 years. Honestly, I'm most looking forward to ordering pizza and having a few beverages on the balcony.
Disney has turned into a relaxation vacation for me, where if I get on rides then great, and if not then that's fine as well. Compared to before ownership, it's a much different sort of trip.

I have noticed in the year and a half of ownership that I have had that DVC has already changed my approach to Disney more than save me money. I was talking to my boss who is putting in over $11000 for his trip to Disney over winter break. Compared to him, I'm saving thousands. But he is doing a one and done trip where he wants to go on many rides, eat as many meals as possible, go to the bippidi boppidi boutique, and the whole nine yards. I'm only going because we got a great deal on annual passes and will be down there anyway, despite having already been to Disney 4 times in the past 3 years. Honestly, I'm most looking forward to ordering pizza and having a few beverages on the balcony.
Disney has turned into a relaxation vacation for me, where if I get on rides then great, and if not then that's fine as well. Compared to before ownership, it's a much different sort of trip.

Agree completely. We also have 2 young kids, and bought DVC assuming we would stay in studios or 1BR in alternate years. We planned to go in late summer for a week each year. Since buying in we have bought APs under that great deal last year, and have gone 3x in 2018 (17 nights, but some were SPG points) and plan to go another 3x in 2019 (a total of around 20 nights, again some use of SPG points). *Right now* our plan is to go back to once a year late summer in 2020, but we will see how that actually works out...

I do agree that it's made us a lot more mellow about the trips. Fewer TS meals, many of the ones are at the resorts, and we don't necessarily feel like we have to hit ALL the major rides each time. I've already told our kids we are not going on any rides at TS land for a few years - they got spoiled at an AP event ("free" except we made a special trip down just for it...) and I'm just not going to stress about it. While it would be nice to get FOP or SDD FP on each trip, I don't feel like we are missing out if we don't ride them.

We haven't yet taken any no-park days, but expect we will next trip.

We have definitely gotten spoiled with (sometimes) having a separate sleeping space from the kids; we would never have paid cash for a 1BR but we will spend the points to do it. And we are "fine" with using SPG points at the Swolphin, but still complain under our breath about the lack of space - again, wouldn't pay cash for a suite but would use points to do it if it were available.

I agree with this also. I'm done with ADRs etc. This year the 4 of us just had a few on a 10 night trip. We spent a lot of time in resort, only did generally half days at parks, ordered $250 of groceries and drinks, took sandwiches into the park, ate breakfast in the room and ate mostly quick serve. We spent about $35 a head per day including the shopping.
And here is the thing. Rather than tearing across parks/ resorts to wait even with ADRs for mainly mediocre and overpriced food, we all just enjoyed walking out of Boardwalk, into Epcot, relaxing quick serve, wondering around and Fastpasses on the fly.
In fact the best day we had was we had Fastpasses at Epcot then an ADR but we'd done most of Epcot rides the day before. My wife said she wanted to go to Yoga, then she and my daughter wanted to go on some gentle rides. This was night before. So I got Fastpasses the night before for Small World, Peter Pan and Pirates. Me and the kids hit the park at 8 went on Space, Splash, Thunder, Haunted Mansion before we met my wife at 10. Then we did the Fastpasses and a chicken pot pie at Columbia Harbour House which was about my favourite meal all trip. I fastpassed on the fly a few more rides and we went home at 2. Relaxed by pool before wandering to Japan quick serve where we sat in their nice garden area. Fastpassed Testrack on the fly, then back to Boardwalk to relax. Very relaxing, did all we wanted, didn't spend much and none of it was planned until the evening before.

I agree with this also. I'm done with ADRs etc. This year the 4 of us just had a few on a 10 night trip. We spent a lot of time in resort, only did generally half days at parks, ordered $250 of groceries and drinks, took sandwiches into the park, ate breakfast in the room and ate mostly quick serve. We spent about $35 a head per day including the shopping.
And here is the thing. Rather than tearing across parks/ resorts to wait even with ADRs for mainly mediocre and overpriced food, we all just enjoyed walking out of Boardwalk, into Epcot, relaxing quick serve, wondering around and Fastpasses on the fly.
In fact the best day we had was we had Fastpasses at Epcot then an ADR but we'd done most of Epcot rides the day before. My wife said she wanted to go to Yoga, then she and my daughter wanted to go on some gentle rides. This was night before. So I got Fastpasses the night before for Small World, Peter Pan and Pirates. Me and the kids hit the park at 8 went on Space, Splash, Thunder, Haunted Mansion before we met my wife at 10. Then we did the Fastpasses and a chicken pot pie at Columbia Harbour House which was about my favourite meal all trip. I fastpassed on the fly a few more rides and we went home at 2. Relaxed by pool before wandering to Japan quick serve where we sat in their nice garden area. Fastpassed Testrack on the fly, then back to Boardwalk to relax. Very relaxing, did all we wanted, didn't spend much and none of it was planned until the evening before.

For me the QS options have improved enough to be just fine as the plan for dining. Then if we decide we want a sit down we'll take a look at what's available last minute . There's always been something appealing.

I enjoyed it as well when we were there in October.

Disney sells DVC because it is in Disney's best interest to do so. Just like in Vegas, the Mouse always comes out ahead.

Disney sells DVC because it is in Disney's best interest to do so. Just like in Vegas, the Mouse always comes out ahead.

Well yeah. Why would they keep selling something that loses them money, especially on their highly valuable real estate?
Obviously having rooms within the Disney bubble prepaid for 50 years is a good business move on their part. The question is, does buying those rooms end up being a good financial decision compared to just vacationing there every few years? The answer to that as question will vary from person to person.

Well yeah. Why would they keep selling something that loses them money, especially on their highly valuable real estate?
Obviously having rooms within the Disney bubble prepaid for 50 years is a good business move on their part. The question is, does buying those rooms end up being a good financial decision compared to just vacationing there every few years? The answer to that as question will vary from person to person.

For a certain type of repeat visitor to Disney, DVC can be a win-win. It will never be a lose for Disney, they are pretty much guaranteed to come out ahead - it might be a lose for the member though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter