Does shipboard medical take HSA?

Thank you all. I am glad guest services will take the HSA credit/debit card. That was exactly what I was hoping to hear to cover upfront costs prior to submission for insurance reimbursement. My day job deals with insurance, and I am (unfortunately) extremely familiar with the submission of insurance paperwork. My medical will cover in an out-of network bracket for any health care, my children's care is ultimately covered 100% between multiple policies in any location we will be in for the cruise. We discovered previously when looking into travel insurance that they do not cover the issues that one of my children would likely need to seek health care for so we have not looked into it again.

I am glad guest services will take the HSA credit/debit card.
I didn't see any posts confirming that DCL Guest Services does accept an HSA card as payment. One poster claimed it can be used anywhere with a Visa logo, but myself and another poster shared personal experience that says otherwise. I suggest having a back-up credit card to use if necessary -- and hopefully you won't even need either one.

My HSA Visa card would only work at vendors that were coded as businesses that could plausibly have a reasonable number of HSA-eligible items. So it worked at groceries, pharmacies, Costco, etc., but would not work at restaurants, theme parks, and such. It's worth a shot to try your HSA card to settle eligible charges onboard, but I wouldn't plan for it to work (I'd say it's more likely to NOT work than to work).

Last edited:
I didn't see any posts confirming that DCL Guest Services does accept an HSA card as payment. One poster claimed it can be used anywhere with a Visa logo, but myself and another poster shared personal experience that says otherwise. I suggest having a back-up credit card to use if necessary -- and hopefully you won't even need either one.
That was my take too. Other posters were talking about using other credit cards to pay for medical expenses, then getting reimbursed from their HSA. I didn't see any poster who confirmed they had used their HSA debit card on board.

I guess it would depend on how 'strict' the HSA is. As PP mentioned, many of them are coded to only work at businesses where it would be logical to purchase medical supplies or otherwise have medical expenses. Disney Cruise Line would likely not be one of those entities, so the HSA card might not work. I also can imagine documentation could be an issue, depending on how the visit to the medic was noted on the onboard account (since that would be the only 'receipt' given).

I also can imagine documentation could be an issue, depending on how the visit to the medic was noted on the onboard account (since that would be the only 'receipt' given).
I do think that they would provide an itemized bill from the medical center, too. Like when you get something at the shop on the ship you still get a receipt with every item you bought. How would people otherwise get reimbursed from their travel insurance.

I also can imagine documentation could be an issue, depending on how the visit to the medic was noted on the onboard account (since that would be the only 'receipt' given).
I had occasion to visit the medical center on the Magic in January. I was given a receipt that was itemized as Professional Services and as Medication. On the cruise folio, however, the total amount was listed only as Medical. I used the itemized receipt to file for reimbursement by insurance.

All merchants have an MCC, merchant category code. Guests Services will not have an MCC that your HSA credit card will support and you will get a decline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter