Dog Training School...

CBRorBust

Always dreaming of Hot Chocolate
I'm curious to see if there are any of you out there that have sent your dogs to a Dog Training School.

We are considering sending our dog to a place called Man's Best Friend, and I don't know if any one else has had this experience before. Let me know!

I know of one person that sent her dog, soft-coated wheaton, to a dog training camp. Evidently she had no luck training the dog. As far as I know, it went okay. The dog was better when he was done, but not perfect. I've always taken my dogs to class and trained with them. In a lot of cases (including mine) the owner is getting trained too. Over and over and over in my case. As the trainer said to me "Just give the command once, don't repeat it!!" I was forever repeating it. I'm much better now and so is my golden.

Two of our neighbors have dogs (beagle, schnauzer) that have gone there. The schnauzer goes back once a year for "refresher" training. I don't know what training methods they use there, but I was told by the schnauzer's "mom" that they were not allowed to visit during the (I think) 2?-week long session. That sounds bad the way I wrote it - don't mean to cast aspersions - I just truly don't know if they use only positive reinforcement, or a mixture of rewards with pinch or choke collars etc.

We have gotten great results with our girls using just positive reinforcement, based on the book "The Dog Whisperer". We have a poodle would pull so hard on the leash that I was worried she'd injure her windpipe (which can happen in smaller dogs; we've since switched to a harness). Anyway, using this author's ten-thousand $ treat principle, she now walks very well on the leash - if anything lingers behind a little sniffing interesting stuff, but not pulling anymore. It took a commitment on our part though - long walks 3-4 times per week, with a treat bag with us every time. We still bring a treat bag with us when we walk, for the occasional positive reinforcement, but in the beginning we were rewarding almost the whole walk, every time she was in the "right" spot, so we could teach her not to pull ahead.

Oh - one more thing, the schnauzer mom was able to negotiate a better price than what she was originally wuoted, because I know they were priced quite high. I agree with the other posters though - you need to be trained too so you clearly communicate what you want to your pet.

Good luck with your choice - both of the dogs we know that went there are much loved and seem to be well behaved.

When I got Max, we both went to classes at PetsMart. They were great! But I lucked out...the trainer said Max knew everything already! :teeth: Someone obviously trained him before. I really can't understand how he ever ended up at the pound for 5 months before we took him. :( Now, with Skippy we'll see how it goes. He's just 10 weeks old. Not sure when I'll start him. I'd be thrilled if he'd just get the housebreaking routine!

We've had Max (flat-coated retriever) two or three years now. He was from the pound. He's been fantastic! Two weeks ago on DS's birthday, we fell in love with a puppy for adoption out in front of PetsMart (lab/boxer.) It takes some getting used to and we're all still adjusting, but to see the two play together is just precious and comical! I would do it again in a heartbeat. :teeth:

Edit...I can't delete my own post!! :mad: This was supposed to be under the other dog thread. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter