• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Doing Disney overweight

Can we get back to talking about Pooh sized Disney now? I really want to konw what rides people are concerned about fitting on, and how best to hide our cellulite whilst at the pools. Please?

Just wanted to say "right on sister friend!" Your entire post mirrors my life and my situation and I thank you for saying it. An inspiration to those of us who try so hard to change what is certainly a reality for us. Hopefully maybe now I'll stop considering staying in the room alone as I won't be as embarrassed to be in that wheelchair on our next trip. :)

Ok So I'm one of only a few men on here that I've read.

Can we get back to the thread topic.

I"m 6'1 and 330 lbs and I'm pretty proportional (and damn sexy I may add), will I have any problem riding any rides at Disney, Epcot or anything? I"m a sucker for roller coasters and am looking forward to going on them. I've had a few poor expierences at Six flags in the past so I haven't been able to go on roller coasters and other things due to a fear of not being able to get on/in them.

Also what are the height requirements on most of the adult rides. My daughter is 5 and tall for her age and I'd love to have her go on these rides with me.

PLEASE don't take your daughter on Big Thunder Mountain with you. I rode it with my then 8 year old niece and it scared us both.

Just wanted to say "right on sister friend!" Your entire post mirrors my life and my situation and I thank you for saying it. An inspiration to those of us who try so hard to change what is certainly a reality for us. Hopefully maybe now I'll stop considering staying in the room alone as I won't be as embarrassed to be in that wheelchair on our next trip. :)

Aw, thanx! Glad I could help. U should never have to contemplate staying in your room. Disney is where we go to forget all of that. It takes away all the magic if we focus on how we look and whether we are using a chair or scooter while we are at Disney. EVERYONE deserves to have fun and experience that magic at Disney. Remember, you are awesome and a person of worth. U deserve Disney, and so do I!

Going to Disney very shortly and starting to get nervous what I can ride with DD as she loves to ride the thrill rides. I carry all my weight in my stomach and hip area. I usually wear depending on how its made 3x to 4x top and bottom sometimes bigger on the bottom again how it is made. I'm around 5'5 so what rides should I avoid at all cost. I was there in 2008 and could ride everything although this time around I'm a bit heavier.

Thanks for all your support. I want to make sure DD who is 10 and first time to Disney gets to ride all her thrill rides.

Going to Disney very shortly and starting to get nervous what I can ride with DD as she loves to ride the thrill rides. I carry all my weight in my stomach and hip area. I usually wear depending on how its made 3x to 4x top and bottom sometimes bigger on the bottom again how it is made. I'm around 5'5 so what rides should I avoid at all cost. I was there in 2008 and could ride everything although this time around I'm a bit heavier.

Thanks for all your support. I want to make sure DD who is 10 and first time to Disney gets to ride all her thrill rides.

I am similar in size to you, and I can ride everything except for the Tea Cups and the Sum of All Thrills ride. I CAN ride the Tea Cups, but it's just not terribly comfortable to do so since the wheel hits in an uncomfortable spot for me, and I don't particularly like it anyway as it makes me a bit nauseous. Even Expedition Everest is not an issue for me. Sure, I don't get more than a few clicks on the bar, but it locks completely in place with no issue whatsoever.

The bigger concern is the fact that your DD is smaller than you and won't be securely restrained in some rides. The only one that readily comes to mind where this is a concern is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as there is one lap bar for the whole car so your DD will slide around on her side of the seat. Fortunately, if she holds on, she should be fine. There was a 10 year old riding in a seat in front of me the last time I rode that slid side-to-side through the whole ride and seemed to love it.

Most everything else that is a "thrill ride" has separate lap bars that each person can adjust accordingly. There are a few tamer rides like Winnie the Pooh with the single bar, but they don't really restrain anything in the first place so there is nothing to worry about.

I hope this information helps. Have a magical trip!

Just have to vent. WHY do people think you can't have any fun if you're overweight? Your family wants to go to WDW(beach, Europe, whatever)so you're supposed to put off the trip until you lose all the weight? Do you know how many people put off there life as it is and limit themselves in what they do because they feel they have to wait until the weight is off? That only leads to less activity and more fat that offends you. Stupid premise! I am happy to see EVERYONE enjoying WDW! If if you need a scooter for whatever reason it is what it is and don't worry about it. Sometimes I wonder if people realize how ridiculous they sound.

I am similar in size to you, and I can ride everything except for the Tea Cups and the Sum of All Thrills ride. I CAN ride the Tea Cups, but it's just not terribly comfortable to do so since the wheel hits in an uncomfortable spot for me, and I don't particularly like it anyway as it makes me a bit nauseous. Even Expedition Everest is not an issue for me. Sure, I don't get more than a few clicks on the bar, but it locks completely in place with no issue whatsoever.

The bigger concern is the fact that your DD is smaller than you and won't be securely restrained in some rides. The only one that readily comes to mind where this is a concern is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as there is one lap bar for the whole car so your DD will slide around on her side of the seat. Fortunately, if she holds on, she should be fine. There was a 10 year old riding in a seat in front of me the last time I rode that slid side-to-side through the whole ride and seemed to love it.

Most everything else that is a "thrill ride" has separate lap bars that each person can adjust accordingly. There are a few tamer rides like Winnie the Pooh with the single bar, but they don't really restrain anything in the first place so there is nothing to worry about.

I hope this information helps. Have a magical trip!

I just sent you a PM. DD id a little on the chunky side also

I just sent you a PM. DD id a little on the chunky side also

I responded to your PM. DH is not pooh-sized, but is no skinny minnie. He and I fit comfortably side-by-side in BTMRR and every other ride with a single lap bar. Yes, he slides a bit on BTMRR, but so do I. It's the nature of the ride. This fact about DD will make BTMRR a bit safer for her.

I responded to your PM. DH is not pooh-sized, but is no skinny minnie. He and I fit comfortably side-by-side in BTMRR and every other ride with a single lap bar. Yes, he slides a bit on BTMRR, but so do I. It's the nature of the ride. This fact about DD will make BTMRR a bit safer for her.

Thank you:worship: Have you ridden space mountain and what was that like also now that Splash Mt has change how is that

Thank you:worship: Have you ridden space mountain and what was that like also now that Splash Mt has change how is that

It was snug, but I was fine. Honestly, it was harder to get out of than to get in, but I have a bad knee and I'm ungainly getting in and out of most ride vehicles. Ask for the front row of a car for the best extra leg room.

Love this thread! I registered just to compliment everyone on all of the great info! I am going to WDW for the first time in May, and I appreciate all the great tips I have found here.

Still worried about my Pooh butt fitting in but I am willing to try now...I think!

:wave2:

Love this thread! I registered just to compliment everyone on all of the great info! I am going to WDW for the first time in May, and I appreciate all the great tips I have found here.

Still worried about my Pooh butt fitting in but I am willing to try now...I think!

:wave2:

I am sure you will be fine... but give us a report when you return.

Something else to think about...I am Pooh size (5'11" and sz 18) and I also have gnarly arthritis in a very bad knee.
I have noticed, that for a ride like Space Mountain, where many people can easily fold their knees up, it was sheer agony for me and I really won't attempt it anymore.
Other rides are not as bad, but can still be uncomfortable if you are fluffy and find it difficult to fold into smallish areas.

Slight change of topic...I mentioned to Disney in a survey they had me complete, that they need to increase their souvenir clothing options for "plus-size" folks. I reminded them, that just because a person isn't tiny, doesn't mean they have bad or boring taste or don't care about how they look.
If anyone else completes a survey, it might be a good idea to reinforce just what a large (pun intended ;)) market we are.

Just have to vent. WHY do people think you can't have any fun if you're overweight? Your family wants to go to WDW(beach, Europe, whatever)so you're supposed to put off the trip until you lose all the weight? Do you know how many people put off there life as it is and limit themselves in what they do because they feel they have to wait until the weight is off? That only leads to less activity and more fat that offends you. Stupid premise! I am happy to see EVERYONE enjoying WDW! If if you need a scooter for whatever reason it is what it is and don't worry about it. Sometimes I wonder if people realize how ridiculous they sound.

:thumbsup2

I sometimes wonder if I would be thinner if I had been willing to dance, jog, swim, or other activities that were awkward for me, and if I had been able to "run" with the skinny minnie crowd. I would have surely taken on yogurt, granola, and the dreaded rice cake (ok maybe not rice cakes - :sick:) if it had been the thing to do. Although, I admit...my friends and I had a lot of fun just being ourselves.

Please don't be afraid to ask for the extender, everytime I have requested one the flight attendants have always been very discreet when giving it to me. I also used to be afraid to ask for the extender because I was embarrassed that I needed one and was afraid that the attendants would be very obvious when getting one for me. I know it was crazy but, I had this recurring nightmare each time I knew I had to get on a plane. My nightmare consisted of me asking for an extender and the flight attendant coming over the loud speaker (like, the ones at the super market) announcing "fat girl in row 3 seat A needs an extender". Yes, it was stupid, I know but I always worried. What I do now and have done for quite a few trips is as I am boarding the plane I just ask the flight attendant for an extender and they very discreetly either hand it to me right then and there or they discreetly bring it to my seat.

I have to agree with that. Everytime I've asked for one, the attendants either brought it to me in my seat or handed it to me rolled up so no one knew what it was.

Plus, the amount of comfort I have gotten from the seat belt extender would outweigh any momentary embarassment that might have occured from getting one.

Hey guys! I was just browsing through this thread and came across our previous posts and thought I'd give an update. I am so happy you guys told me about the seatbelt extenders! When I went in May, I asked the flight attendent as I boarded the plane, and she discreetly handed it to me. I was so much more comfortable! Thank you!

Also, as an update for everyone else with fears of not fitting into the rides...I fit on every ride without issue. I am wearing somewhere between a 24 and 26 right now for reference. I am so glad I found the Dis before our last trip. I was able to use the tips I found here for every ride, and it was much less stressful. I used to stress about trying to get my seatbelt on fast enough whilst riding rides like test track in the single rider line where I had to sit by a stranger and wouldn't ask for help (gasp! Ask a stranger to buckle me? I'd rather die, thank you!) I simply pulled the belt all the way out before sitting, and was able to buckle it without issue every time!

Wish me luck on the crusade to weight loss! I would love to lose about 75 in the year before our next trip. Being between sizes makes clothes hard to wear b/c I buy big to fit my chest and upper body length, so all my clothes are too big in other areas. I was praising the Lord for body glide and anti-monkey butt, but I still had some issues. My clothes just rub from being too big in the legs. I'm done with that, so at our new home we have built a workout room in our massive barn, and I've started training heavily for my second degree black belt which I will hopefully have before leaving! Yay!

Anyway, that all being said...We had a blast, and I fit on every ride without issue. However, I won't ever attempt the build your own rollercoaster one after our first trip fiasco. My chest is not going to decrease enough for that to ever happen!:confused3

Congrats on your quest to loose weight Blackbelt! Just imagine how much better its gonna be for you to get your second degree as well for your kids not be so embarrassed going out in public with you. All the best and good luck and may god bless.

Tito

titodis.jpg

I appreciate the words of congrats on losing weight. Before I say this, I want you to know that I think you seem like a nice person. However, I never said my kids are embarassed to go out in public with me. You might want to be a little more sensitive in how you word things for future reference. I am not a whale by any means, and my children love being out in public with me. I am sure you just didn't think it through when you wrote that, and I'm sure you meant well, but I just think you might want to take more care with your words in the future. I noticed in your post a little earlier how you specified that Pooh sized meant "severely overweight". It might be a bit offensive to people who are just trying to find common ground with other people with the same fears as themselves. I think you mean well, just please read through your posts before sending them to make sure they can't offend anyone. Being Pooh sized is not something I've chosen to be, and my kids understand that going places with me is something they should appreciate, and they do. I've been through a lot of health struggles, so they are glad they have their mom, even if she is Pooh sized. I hope this doesn't upset you b/c I know you were trying to cheer me on. I do appreciate it. I'm just not a big fan of the assumption that my family would be embarassed to be in public with me...Especially since I can outrun most people half my size, and have trained my body to be a weapon-even if it is slightly bigger than the average person's body! What's funny is that in Disney I am always ahead of all my skinny family! I beat them to every ride and have to make sure they aren't left behind in the dust! I'm just sayin'.

IGNORE HIM--EVERY single post that
he posts( look under his profile to see all the posts
he has done) every single one is :stir:

He needs to be banned! Get a Life Tito

Congrats on your quest to loose weight Blackbelt! Just imagine how much better its gonna be for you to get your second degree as well for your kids not be so embarrassed going out in public with you. All the best and good luck and may god bless.

Tito

titodis.jpg

IGNORE HIM--EVERY single post that
he posts( look under his profile to see all the posts
he has done) every single one is :stir:

He needs to be banned! Get a Life Tito
Hahahahaha!!!! Yeah, some of the other Disers are up in arms over him. I won't waste my time anymore. Thanx for the tip!

I also am worried about this. I have not been to Disney for many years and want to go with my grandson in June. Reading this has made me feel a bit better. Do you know anything about Its a Small world?
Thanks

There was a really great review of a big guy riding Small World on allears.net. He said he noticed the boat leaning more on the side he sat on but that was it. Taking his experience into account, just try to be near the center seat and you'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter