Dollar charges $5/day for additional driver

Tay N Evie's Mom

DIS Veteran
I just got off the phone with Dollar and they told me that in Orlando any additional driver (even a spouse) would cost $5/day additional. We're going for 12 days, so that's an additional $60. I think that's outrageous! I joined EA for free and they include spouses and the coupon on vacationoutlet for Alamo also includes an additional driver. Has anyone had any experience with this? Dollar was cheaper than EA, but not if I have to tack on the $60. I want to have the ability to drive the car and be included in the rental in case I have an accident.

That's really odd. We have a rental from Dollar right now, and when we picked it up we specifically asked if there would be an extra charge and were told no, and both of us are allowed to drive it.

Just as an FYI, it was a painless experience, we were not pressured to buy insurance or anything. The big difference between Dollar and NAtional was we were assigned a car, rather than choosing one, but we got a nice Black Ford Focus with only 1600 miles on it :)

Anne

We rented from Dollar in November as they had a FANTASTIC 50% off promotion if you rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yes, additional drivers are $5 per day at the Orlando location anyway even if you are a Fastlane member. We've previously rented from National and L&M and spouses were included with both of them. Since I know my way around WDW/Orlando anyway, I did all the driving and my DH loved it. LOL! And I found I didn't mind always trying to keep my DH gong the right way. In fact, I'll be renting from Dollar again in June and doing all the driving.

Donna

With Dollar, for those of you who might be 50 years old, you can join the Silver Dollar Club and there is no charge to add an additional driver.

What would happen if a spouse who wasn't paid for drove a Dollar vehicle and got in an accident? Does anyone know? I've always wondered. If you are covered by your own insurance policy for an accident, then what's the purpose for the additional driver charge for a spouse?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter