Dolphins or no dolphins???

jdm

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping to get some imput on a decision I'm trying to make.

We are planning a trip to DC in Feb with my DD9 and DN11. They will be swimming with the dolphins. I can't decided whether DH or I should join them. I've watched all the travel channel specials and although I know I'll enjoy going, I don't have that big pull of excitement to swim with the dolphins. I also would be very interested in filming the girls do it while being on the sidelines.

What to do, what to do? I guess my ?? are....

Would the 4 of us be kept together as a group if we do it?

If I don't swim with them, will I be close enough to watch the girls experience?

Will I be close enough to film or take pictures?

Any imput would be appreciated...
Thanks
Jenn

If all of you swim, then you are kept together, and noone has time to run to the beach to fetch a camera. The swim only takes 20 minutes, it's over very fast. And no cameras are even allowed in the water. The only thing you really bring is the mask. The people taking pictures do it from rocks on the side of the lagoon.

If you don't swim with them, then yes, you will be close enough to see the action.

Yes, you will be close enough to take pictures, but you're about 50 feet away, so the picture will be of the entire group, which will include strangers. You'd need a telephoto lens to get a pic of your kid alone with the dolphin, and with the sand and salt water, it's not a good idea to bring an expensive camera out there.

That's ok, the professional photographers will take pics of your kids, and with the money you save, you can buy a couple extra. If you do this, then tell the professional that you want some good pictures of your kids, because sometimes they miss shots.

Read my trip report and you'll see people on the shore trying to take pics.

http://www.pompano.net/~robvia/SeaWorld1.htm

Wow! Thanks, great report! I think we may skip and just watch the girls. I know you talked about the place where you leave your stuff but what do you do with you license and credit card? I want to keep it handy for charges, but I don't want to leave it around or get them wet etc. Maybe I read too fast and missed something. I really enjoyed your pictures ( your daughter has your face!) and it really helps those of us planning to go. Thanks so much!
Jenn

They give you a locker, which has a key, attached to a strap, which you wear around your neck under your web suit so it can't fall off. You put all your valuables in the locker. You can open and close this locker as much as you want.

You also wear your DC Badge around your neck, which when you check in, you have the option of linking this to your credit card (which most people do).

You put all your stuff in the locker, then if you want a snack or something, they scan your DC badge. Each person in the party has a badge. Two charges will appear on your statement. The DC bill when you made your reservations, and the extra things you bought in the park (snacks, pictures).

It all works perfectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter