Don’t Do This at Rope Drop - Peter Pan

That's interesting. Granted, I've lost the stroller in the last few years, but have some slow moving family members. I've had very good luck with doing Peter Pan first on both MM and non MM days, but only if we're first in line and the park opens at 8am(or 7am magic morning).

In mid December 2017, we did it at rope drop on a Sunday. We lined up in the center of the hub and moved for the castle at rope drop. There was a cast member just inside the drawbridge there with a sign on a pole that said "Peter Pan", and we queued up behind her, and she walked us in an orderly fashion to the ride. I thought this was amazing since it stopped the running, shoving, and madness I had seen in previous years. I assumed that on rope drop days they did this now forevermore...I'm bummed to hear that is apparently not the case due to the OP's experience. Anyway, it was about a 2 minute wait for us and we were able to get a great start on the day.

On December 28, 2018, it was a 7am Magic Morning (Despite being a Friday since that whole week is MM and EMH for both parks). I got in line at the gate at 6:15am to ensure we were among the first in the park. We were scanned in and we walked with purpose down main street (I may have skipped a little...but I had to wait up for slower members of my party). We got on Peter Pan within 5 minutes.

All that said, having read many stories like OP and reading Disneyland Daily's advice on the matter (to avoid Peter Pan at rope drop), Whether to do Peter Pan first is always a game-time decision. When we get there, if it looks like we got a good start and there are fewer than 75 people ahead of us, we go ahead and ride. If it appears that there are more than 75 or people or so (approximately 1/10 hourly capacity), then we skip it and move on. We did get caught in a 20 minute line there once back in 2011 and it made a magic morning very inefficient.

I always have a plan B. But I'm a compulsive planner, and I get a rush from having my plan work for beating the crowds on busy days.

This is a cute ride, but not sure why it's lines are so crazy all the time.

Same reason people knock people out to buy a tickle-me-elmo at Walmart. If everyone else wants it, then I must too! Human nature.

There's a little more to PP at DL. It's one of the original 1955 rides, so there is a strong historic, nostalgic, sentimental element there. For some of us, there's nothing like hearing, "Off to Neverland!" and flying away in our own pirate ship. That one moment of magic is worth the wait in line (although, yes, we'd like to make that wait as short as possible!). PP at DL is one of the few things left in this ever-changing park that connects us to Walt. And so we love it with a loyal passion. :)

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! I've been to DLR 3 times (always with just one other adult) and have always rope dropped PP. We usually hit it with about 20 mins to go because we "walk with a purpose" and don't elbow our way to the front, haha. I think this upcoming trip we might do the TL/FL strategy and see if it's better bang for our buck. I like the idea of doing it last thing before the park closes instead!

Sometime around 2011 or 2012, Disneyland had a promotion where annual passholders could register for a special "passholder only" magic morning. On the day we did this, there were only a tiny number of other guests registered for the promotion, no more than 50 or 60 total. We started off by doing Peter Pan three times in succession, with absolutely no line whatsoever. We then did the bobsleds four times, Alice three times, etc. For all intents and purposes, it was like having Fantasyland to ourselves for 60 minutes.

But getting back on topic... we always made it a point, on each trip, to try to do the Peter Pan rope drop run at least once, until someone in this forum pointed out that doing this requires spending an hour or more in line at either the gate or at the rope. As others in this thread have already posted, it is better (at least for us) to sleep in and then stand in the Peter Pan line for an hour later in the day. Or, alternatively, show up for rope drop and then do the other Fantasyland rides instead of Peter Pan.

I do acknowledge that doing the Peter Pan rope drop run may make sense for people who have a limited number of days to spend in the parks.

Sometime around 2011 or 2012, Disneyland had a promotion where annual passholders could register for a special "passholder only" magic morning. On the day we did this, there were only a tiny number of other guests registered for the promotion, no more than 50 or 60 total. We started off by doing Peter Pan three times in succession, with absolutely no line whatsoever. We then did the bobsleds four times, Alice three times, etc. For all intents and purposes, it was like having Fantasyland to ourselves for 60 minutes.

But getting back on topic... we always made it a point, on each trip, to try to do the Peter Pan rope drop run at least once, until someone in this forum pointed out that doing this requires spending an hour or more in line at either the gate or at the rope. As others in this thread have already posted, it is better (at least for us) to sleep in and then stand in the Peter Pan line for an hour later in the day. Or, alternatively, show up for rope drop and then do the other Fantasyland rides instead of Peter Pan.

I do acknowledge that doing the Peter Pan rope drop run may make sense for people who have a limited number of days to spend in the parks.
2012 was the year with the registered EMH for APs. It was that summer after cars land opened. They also did the limited time magic emh for APs in early 2013 and I remember walking on to Peter pan one of the days I went.

I was working with the Touring Plans website last week, trying to plan my Disneyland Park day. It kept optimizing me away from PP as the first ride. I emailed asking why, as I always thought we were supposed to do it at RD. They explained it for these same reasons: many other attractions can get done while all those people are fighting to ride PP. I'm like, "Duh?!" lol...totally made sense when I read their response.

I read some great advice on PP here. The suggestion was that you grab a churro near closing time and get in line and enjoy the wait with your friends and family. That would be a great time to talk about your favorite things that happened that day and look over any pictures taken. I can't seem to get DD to agree to it, though. She loves rope dropping PP and we've never had to wait more than 15 minutes. Her inner Olympic speed walker comes out once that rope drops. It is a magical way to start the day. I can see how it just wouldn't work for those with strollers.

I haven't tried it yet, but apparently the Disney Parks Play App has some cool interactive stuff on it to do in the Peter Pan queue. We used some of the trivia to pass time in other places before I uninstalled it due to battery drain and other weirdness, but I imagine it might make the line seem shorter.

My strategy is to get in line right before park closing, assuming everyone in your party can stay up that late. Obviously don't try this on your last/only day in the park in case it's closed .

That way no matter what the wait is it's just bonus time since the parks closed anyway. And Fantasyland has had pretty short waits at night when I've been there.
That's my strategy for Haunted Mansion when it has the NBC overlay. It's so much fun to walk of the park when it's nearly empty.

My strategy is to get in line right before park closing, assuming everyone in your party can stay up that late. Obviously don't try this on your last/only day in the park in case it's closed .

That way no matter what the wait is it's just bonus time since the parks closed anyway. And Fantasyland has had pretty short waits at night when I've been there.

This is what we did the last time we were there. We usually don’t ride because it’s not worth the wait for me but we got in line as the park was closing and it was just a bonus ride.

The last time we did PP at closing about two weeks ago, it was a literal walk on! There was one couple ahead of us and we walked right through the queue and on to our pirate ship. It was surreal. We were the last guests before they closed the line. Then we exited the ride to a line of smiling CMs and out to a closed park. Magical! When the pixie dust happens, it makes wonderful memories.

Last edited:
In mid December 2017, we did it at rope drop on a Sunday. We lined up in the center of the hub and moved for the castle at rope drop. There was a cast member just inside the drawbridge there with a sign on a pole that said "Peter Pan", and we queued up behind her, and she walked us in an orderly fashion to the ride.

Yes -- I recall that they did this two or three times about 18 months ago. We all thought it was a great idea (because it was). I haven't seen it since. I've asked a few CMs in Fantasyland why they no longer do it. No one seemed to know. They only suggested that it was stopped to save money. That's hard to believe. How much can that cost? I can't even see that it would require an additional CM. I wish they'd bring it back. It was one of the best ideas I've ever seen put into action at DL.

I was working with the Touring Plans website last week, trying to plan my Disneyland Park day. It kept optimizing me away from PP as the first ride. I emailed asking why, as I always thought we were supposed to do it at RD. They explained it for these same reasons: many other attractions can get done while all those people are fighting to ride PP. I'm like, "Duh?!" lol...totally made sense when I read their response.

Just wondering - when did the touring plans site suggest doing PP?

This is what we did the last time we were there. We usually don’t ride because it’s not worth the wait for me but we got in line as the park was closing and it was just a bonus ride.

How late was the park closing and I wonder if it matters - would this happen at a midnight close or a 9PM close - as I think the earlier the busier the park perhaps?

Then what would you suggest at rope drop for ppl with a stroller/kids that want to do fantasyland stuff? Dumbo first? Then knock out a few other fantasyland things until pp line has died down (hopefully still within the first hour of park opening...)?

If you are near the front of rope drop, starting with Alice then Dumbo would be a nice way to start the day. Both those lines can actually get pretty long pretty quick. A big mistake is to do Nemo or Autopia too early, before they are fully operational - on an 8 am opening, the ride can actually take longer at 8:30 am than at 9:30 am.

The PP line never 'dies down', but there are times when it might be posted at 35 minutes in the late afternoon / early evening. That's the time to wait for Peter Pan! Definitely not an hour after park opening.

Just wondering - when did the touring plans site suggest doing PP?

It was after about 5 rides...the wait was listed around 30 minutes, so I was confused. But I get it now, I would have flown through the first 5 or 6 rides and then had a moderate wait at PP. The more I read here, though, I think I might try the end of the night at park closing. Sounds like a nice relaxing way to end the night.

Would rather ride Thunder 3 times. Can't wait til my youngest is old enough for coasters and we may never visit Fantasyland again! My girls are coaster junkies and we only do the small stuff anymore when it's super busy or hot and the lines are short.

Are there any pre rope drop breakfast options that give an advantage in early morning like at DW ?

If you are near the front of rope drop, starting with Alice then Dumbo would be a nice way to start the day. Both those lines can actually get pretty long pretty quick.

I'd advise the opposite. Do PP first. The line for that gets crazy almost immediately. Lines for the other two, however, will still be relatively short 15-20 mins after opening (i.e. after riding PP). Your one chance for a short PP line lasts for about 45 seconds from rope drop. Use those seconds wisely and to your advantage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter