Down The East Coast and Back Again. Featuring: The Simpson‘s, The Mouse and Fay.

shadowryter

DISNEYHOLIC
We just came home from our “Birthday Trip” on August 28<SUP>th</SUP> and I’m still suffering from a cold. There were many good times and some bad times, but I’m getting ahead of myself. First I’d like to introduce my little family.

Linda…(myself) 50ish celebrating a birthday. (Actual B-day 8/20)
Dan…My DH…40ish and just wanting to get away with his family after working 6 months straight even through the holidays.
Heather…Sweet DD…celebrating her 18<SUP>th</SUP> birthday. (Actual B-day 9/4...which I was reminded of constantly.)

Trip plan dates: Leaving August 16<SUP>th</SUP> ~ Returning August 28<SUP>th</SUP>
<SUP>
</SUP>Where are we going?: Hanover, MD ~ Myrtle Beach, SC ~ St. Augustine, FL ~ Universal Orlando ~ Disney and back again ~ Last stop Fredericksburg, VA before returning home.

Now originally this was suppose to be a short Universal trip but I really love Disney too. So one day I saw a Disney special and saw the castle all decked out in sparkling “Winter Lights” and wanted to see it for myself and pleaded with DH to add at least one day, maybe two to visit the World. So I added three days at Disney in order to see the castle and a try to see if we could do the parks in three days for our Disney three day parks, four day cruise next year. It was a great plan or so I thought. The word “Winter” should have given me a clue, right? So that’s why I booked all my plans for the last two weeks in August. Oh well, they’ll hopefully return next year.

Making this a birthday trip was my idea as I never knew you could celebrate and make it really special at Disney until I found this forum. It would be a lot of fun for DD and me and next year it would be DH’s turn not to mention our 20<SUP>th</SUP> anniversary. (Yeah, right. Like he’ll wear a celebration button) Thanks to all of you who helped, suggested and gave me the courage to plan. And plan I did, for more than eight months in advance, I had everything figured out except maybe Fay (and the Winter Lights.)

We knew this would be a driving experience as I will not fly…not until they have a giant parachute to keep the plane from falling out of the sky. (DH prefers to board the plane and pray until we land) I had us all packed by the beginning of the week, even bringing a bag of shoes, just in case. We had 3 over nites down the coast with 3 days at Universal’s Portofino Bay, followed by 3 days at Disney’s Swan and back North also with 3 over nites. Twelve days. Eight Hotels. (Sounds exhausting now that I think of it.)We left early in the morning as planned and our adventure began.

Saturday ~ Aug 16<SUP>th</SUP>

We were on the road by 7am. DD and I switched drivers every two hours and rotated the passenger side with DD so she didn’t have to see the whole trip from the backseat. We stopped for a quick break to switch drivers and to gas up the SUV at the Molly Pitcher Service Area along the Jersey Turnpike and later stopped for lunch at the Maryland House SE where we filled our own tanks with pecan Cinnabon’s and some kind of gooey, frozen, coffee concoction. After a total of some 380 miles, we arrived in Hanover, Maryland our traditional first stop.

The Hampton Inn & Suites Arundel Mills can be a bit pricey depending on the time of year but a great stopover. After checking in, we hit the local Golden Corral, a first for us. DH and DD loved it but I was too full from an earlier stop at Cinnabon’s. After dinner, we parked the car at the hotel and walked to the mall across the street. Huge mall, lot’s of great stores and a Medieval Times at one end, a must do if you are ever in the area.

We must have spent at least an hour or more at the Outdoor World. DH likes to fish and I just had fun taking some pic’s of the extensive displays they had. The next morning after a plentiful breakfast and coffee at the hotel I saw a news report that Hurricane Fay was headed for Miami but is was now downgraded to a tropical storm. My brother lives there so I was worried. We’re headed to Orlando and the last hurricane I can remember that hit Central Massachusetts was Gloria, though I’m sure there were others.:goodvibes

Nice comfy beds
CIMG1863.jpg

Fish in the large indoor aquarium
CIMG1885.jpg

One of many inside displays
CIMG1889.jpg

DD's catch of the day
CIMG1888.jpg

Plenty for breakfast
CIMG1900.jpg

CIMG1901.jpg

Sunday ~ Aug 17<SUP>th</SUP>

On the road again and we were being hit with sporadic storms. The rain was so heavy at times with a dark overcast and then it lightened up, only to get dark again. It was just strange. To the left of us were blackening skies with forks of lightening while to the right the sky was blue and the sun was shining. At one point I remember DH saying, “Here she comes.” (TS Fay) You could see the cars and trucks on the other side of the road with water rushing off their vehicles and when you drove into it, it was like a line drawn in the sand. The clouds were so heavy you could actually see the rain pouring down in the distance. It was like this most of the drive to Myrtle Beach SC and by the time we checked into the Seaside Hotel, around 3pm (and added 475 miles) the waves were swelling and it was raining with thunder and fork lightning.
After a while, the thunder and lightning cleared and we got a chance to walk on the beach. This was a treat for my DD since she hadn’t seen the ocean since she was four.

Here Comes Fay
CIMG1939.jpg

We enjoyed our time in the surf and laughed when my DD’s flip flops drifted away to shore and a nice woman retrieved them for her.

At least they float
CIMG1940.jpg

Dad & daughter time
CIMG1947.jpg

After we dried off, we looked for a place to eat and was pleased to find Joe’s Crab Shack just down US-17. We had a great meal of shrimp and crab and a DH and I had a fantastic Bahama Mama. Then it was back to hotel for some much needed sleep but not before a restful soak in the Jacuzzi for my DH. This oceanfront hotel was wonderful and I’m thinking about returning for our East Coast drive to world before our cruise next year. Only one negative note here. Parking can be tricky. You park under the hotel and its really tight. We have a mid size SUV and had to stop and back up to continue around the corner. I really felt bad for the guy in his big pickup.

Our comfortable room
CIMG1905.jpg

Nice equipped kitchen
CIMG1914.jpg

TV & Dining room
CIMG1919ta.jpg

Living room
CIMG1917.jpg

View from 5<SUP>th</SUP> floor balcony
CIMG1927.jpg

No sweetie. It’s for soaking not sleeping.
CIMG1910.jpg

Seaside from the beach
CIMG1937.jpg

Next stop…Saint Augustine, FL :goodvibes

Monday ~ Aug 18<SUP>th</SUP>
<SUP>
</SUP>The next morning we checked out around 8am and looked for the first McDonald’s. The hotel offered a free continental breakfast but we just wanted to get back on the road,. We had 385 miles ahead of us along with Fay. I got my large coffee which is all I needed to keep me going until North Carolina, while DH and DD got breakfast for the road. Next stop Saint Augustine, FL. Another first. The rains were still coming down and the eighteen wheelers in front of us didn’t make the going any easier. Now I don’t mean to sound ignorant, but in all my trips down the coast, I’ve never noticed one of these:

Sign says it all
CIMG3062.jpg

Give me a break. I’m from the North. ( though I was floored by the Run-Away truck signs in PA last year with a road going up into nowhere.)

By the time we pulled into Saint Augustine we were lost. I don’t know how, but the street we were suppose to turn onto wasn’t there. So we circled the block about five times. DH was getting red in the face and we ended out in a tiny back street behind two cars who were behind of all things a delivery truck and he’s off-loading and isn’t about to go anywhere until he’s done. Another car pulled in behind us and we just sat there until the car started to back up and the rest of us followed. Mine you we were backing up a one way street!

So we found the hotel, The Bayfront, just to find out that it wasn’t our hotel so around the block we go again until my DD shouted, “There!” My DH stopped in the street and backed up to the “Hilton Historic Bayfront.” He was really upset but the valet calmed him down. Valet? Where? The tiny lot was big enough for about eight cars. But the Hilton was smart and parking was underground. Either way it made my DH happy, especially since our room was ready. Our room was beautiful and comfortable and even though we were late getting there we still had enough time to visit the Castillo de San Marcos Fort before it closed at 5:30, a must for my history buff DH. When we left the fort we saw a bulletin posted at the entrance. Castillo de San Marcos will be closed August 20<SUP>th</SUP> due to TA Fay. On my birthday no less.

Our elegant room
CIMG1964.jpg

View from our window
CIMG1972.jpg

My first ever towel animal(don’t laugh)
CIMG1970.jpg

The Castillo de San Marcos Fort
CIMG1998.jpg

Lots of cannons
CIMG1985.jpg

Upon returning to the hotel, we were hungry but didn’t want to wonder too far. The Aviles Restaurant on property turned out to be one of the best meals I have experienced on the road in quite a while. Everything was cooked to perfection, from the bison filet DH chose to the shrimp and lobster DD and I ordered. Dessert was spectacular. We ordered the Moon Sampler. It let you choose four of their top offerings, I thought it would be just a bite of each but it was huge and really too much. During dinner, we noticed there were carriage rides across the street. We were short on cash but wouldn’t you know some of the drivers took plastic. We took a ride with Pete and his horse Rusty. He told us a good old ghost story as we drove through the streets of St. Augustine. It was quite memorable but when it was over we realized there is much more to see in this little historic section of town and hope to return for a longer stay.

Aviles Restaurant
CIMG2038.jpg

Pete and Rusty
CIMG2050.jpg

Tommorrow: Universal, here we come!

Tuesday ~ Aug 19<SUP>th </SUP>Day 1 at Universal
Fay Fay go away!

We pulled into the Portofino Bay Resort under darkening skies around 10 am. Surprisingly, our room was ready. I later realized that housekeeping works from the outside of the wings in. So if we had waited we might have had a view like we did in Nov 06 sans the Christmas decorations. I wasn’t concerned about the tree view as I really didn’t plan on staying in the room that much. After our bags were brought up we left for Universal Studios. We hurried to the ticket kiosk to fine all of them were down due to the rain. They were bagged and ducked taped close. The nice woman at the ticket booth helped us and we were on our way. It was still early around 11:30 but we wanted to get lunch at Lombard’s, our first stop on our first day at Universal. I did get priority seating but it wasn’t needed. The park was almost empty and we just walked in and were seated at our hostess’s favorite spot, the dark side of the aquarium. We ordered cokes and all three of us ordered the lobster bisque. My DH ordered the San Francisco Stir fry, my DD the Shrimp Primavera and I ordered the Grilled Asian Chicken Wrap. It was all delicious and left no room for dessert.

After lunch we headed for the Simpson’s ride. What a blast. This is now my favorite ride in all of Universal. We rode Men in Black, twice, and got to ride Jaws before the rain started. We had to keep ducking inside the stores to keep dry, determined not to have to be weighed down with a poncho. Big mistake. We went to see Twister and I sneaked a video of it, then we did some window shopping, hoping to find what we would purchase later on. Also a big mistake. The rained stopped for a while and I saw the Simpson’s were out for pictures and autographs, but DH wanted to see the Horror Make-up show. By the time we came out it was raining again and they were all gone. It was still early so we headed for Islands of Adventure (as the rain stopped) and headed for the Hulk, still a great coaster. We tried for Dr. Doom but you guessed it. Rain. So we started to shop. My DD wanted something special for her DBF as they are both Marvel Comics and Anime fans. So we went into a shop and found exactly what she wanted, a hardcover book of Marvel Comics, but instead of purchasing it and having it sent to our hotel we opted to wait. Another bad decision.

Simpson’s
CIMG2089.jpg

CIMG2090.jpg

Hulk
CIMG2146.jpg

Men in Black
CIMG2097.jpg

Yes I’m one of those people who takes pictures of the pictures

I made reservations for the Wantilan Luau at the Royal Pacific and wanted to look at the hotel and grounds contemplating a future stay but before that we wanted to return to out hotel and freshen up. We got on the boat and the rain started to pour and the winds pushed it sideways right into the boat and all the people, me being one of them. It wouldn’t have been so bad had I had a poncho, (I know. I can hear the I told you so’s from here) plus the boat had to circle three times the second time ramming into the dock. When we finally got off the boat and the captain told us that if the rain and wind kept up the boats would be closed down.

We got into our room to be surprised by a balloon bouquet in front of our tree view window and a cake on the table that read “Happy Birthday Linda & Heather.” Yes I pre-ordered this, but what I ordered was a 7 inch marble cake with choc mousse and whipped cream filling with choc butter crème frosting. What I got was a beautiful cake that was 7 inches high and about 10 inches across. There was only 3 of us. I lit the candles and had my DD blow them out which she stated, “It’s not my birthday.” Which brings me to our first little problem. Two plates. Two forks. Three people. No knife. So I called star services to request a knife but no one answered so then I called the front desk to try again for a knife but most importantly to cancel the luau. The woman I spoke too was more concerned with getting my credit card info correct to charge me $20 per person for not going and I was only 20 minutes late to cancel.

Birthday balloons
CIMG2116.jpg

Birthday cake
CIMG2121.jpg

CIMG2127.jpg

The boats had stopped running, we were soaked and honestly didn’t know what to do next. We received a letter from management telling us the boats may shut down and that the onsite restaurants would also close with just Mama Della’s open for a select buffet along with select room service. So we went to Sal’s for pizza and Panini’s and brought it back to our room where we stayed the rest of the evening. My DD’s pizza was wrong and still no knife. Have you ever tried to cut a cake with a plastic knife half the length? DD said I did pretty well. The boats did start up again but that was just in time for the CityWalk patrons, all the time we watched the water rising.

No boats
CIMG2134.jpg

Sal’s menu
CIMG2131.jpg

Thanks Peggy. That's so nice to hear. This is my first trip report, so it may be a bit rough but I'm trying.:goodvibes

I know what you mean. I am also writing my first trip report. I really appreciate all the people who have posted trip reports. Including you. :goodvibes :goodvibes I now understand how much time and work goes into writing these reports. Yours does not seem rough to me. You are doing a good job and I will enjoy reading more. :yay:
peggy

Wednesday ~ Aug 20<SUP>th</SUP> Day 2 at Universal (my b-day)

After a breakfast of cake and cherry coke we headed for Islands of Adventure, but not before we visited the Universal Store at the Portofino to buy ponchos. We tried to ride the Hulk and Dr. Doom but it starting raining and you could hear some thunder. So we started to shop. We went back to the store where my DD found the book for her DBF and wouldn’t you know they were all gone except for a couple of damaged ones. DD purchased the one with a tiny water spot on the dust jacket and had it sent to out hotel so we decided to go check and see how the new Harry Potter section was going and I was floored when I saw they tore down the Enchanted Oak Tavern. What were they thinking?

How could they do this?
CIMG2149.jpg

CIMG2150.jpg

Suddenly the sky opened up and everyone scrambled for shelter or grabbed for their ponchos. We had reservations for Mythos but not for another 45 minutes. I quickly stashed my DH and DD under the cavern-like area near the restaurant and headed inside with my fingers crossed. The lovely woman at the podium was more than happy to seat us early. I retrieved my family and in we went.

We ordered drinks an had already decided what we wanted to eat until our server, Gilbert, told us the specials of the day, one being a Surf & Turf Risotto. My mouth waters just to think of it. It was easy. “We’ll have three of those, please.” Steak medallions and jumbo shrimp atop spinach and mushroom risotto, with grape tomatoes, asparagus spears and crunchy little onion pieces to finish it off. Unbelievable. We ended our meal by sharing the Warm Banana Gooey Cake.

Surf and Turf Rissotto special
CIMG2159.jpg

Warm Banana Gooey Cake
CIMG2162.jpg

By the time we left Mythos there was literally a deluge outside but one more pit stop before we ventured into it. Has any of you ladies noticed the bathroom at Mythos. I’m no talking about the stalls. I’m talking about the walls and floor. I walked in to wash my hands and whoa.

See for yourself.
CIMG2166.jpg

Once outside everyone was hustling and hiding again and all we could was push on. We stopped inside the Discovery Center at Jurassic, grabbed a seat and shook off the water. It was still humid and I was in need of a drink, so DH stood in line for a Coke, forever it seemed. After a rest and drying slightly, we headed back into Universal where we shared a huge waffle cone of vanilla soft serve and waited to get into the Animal Actors on Location Show, followed by The Simpson’s, Men in Black, and Revenge of the Mummy. Fear Factor was closed all the time we were there. I’m assuming the weather had something to do with it.

After some browsing and a visit to Lucy: A Tribute, we meandered into CityWalk and went to DD’s favorite place to shop, The Hard Rock. Around 45 minutes we brought our purchases to the register and handed the clerk our Portofino room key, to which I noticed he is swiping more than once maybe three times. Finally he looked at my DH and said it’s been declined, which I’m wondering how since this was our credit card attached to the room key and we haven’t even begun to put a dent into it. (thoughts of identity theft in 04 shot through my mind.) So then the manager showed up and she tried the card and then she got on the phone. I asked the clerk what was wrong and he said. “This has been happening a lot lately. After all you are guests of the Portofino.” And now I’m wondering. What does that mean?

After about a half an hour of waiting patiently (me, not DH) and the whispers and impatient people in line, our purchase went through and DH is PO’ed and exited the park quickly with DD and myself in tow. When we got back to the hotel my DH veered off in one direction with us in the other. He later said he literally tore into the concierge who wanted us to have dinner on them. DH wanted nothing to do with his offer. So the concierge said they would take some money off our bill. After a change of clothes were we off again. Tonight was our front row poncho seats at the Blue Man Group and not even this was going to ruin it.

Animal Actors - Frank from MIB
UniversalDisney20085.jpg

Pics from Previous Horror Make-up Show
CIMG2104.jpg

UniversalDisney20082.jpg

UniversalDisney20084.jpg

UniversalDisney20088.jpg

We arrived at the Aquos theatre in plenty of time, despite the rain. DH had cooled down by now and was looking forward to the show. And what a show it was. We were seated and put our ponchos on. (couldn’t seem to get away from ponchos this trip) Then some stage hands came up to the audience and started tossing us streamers of crepe paper. They told us to decorate ourselves, so we did. This was my first Blue Man Group encounter (won’t be my last) so I was kind of taken back when one of the Blue Men jumped off the stage in front of me and my DD and stared at us. After a few seconds he literally crawled between me and DD, over the seats using DD’s head for balance and knocking over my large coke, which was on the floor and away from a spill or so I thought. The show was fantastic, the music and special effects, unbelievable. I found out what the ponchos were for, first hand, when I and many others got shot from across the stage with pureed bananas. The finale found us all in strobe lights with twirling tubes over head and neck deep in in hundreds of yards of crepe paper. After the show my DD and I tried to get a look of one of the Blue Men, while DH ran face to face with another one. (Seems he approved of DH’s Men in Black tee from 04) It was an incredible experience. I highly recommend it.

Blue Man Group Signage
CIMG2211.jpg

CIMG2190.jpg

CIMG2177.jpg

A Blue Man
CIMG2189.jpg

With the show over and nothing in our stomachs except snacks and soda since 12:30 we headed to Bubba Gump’s where we dried off and enjoyed a great meal.

Cajun Shrimp appy
CIMG2200.jpg

Shrimper’s Heaven
CIMG2201.jpg

I’m Stuffed Shrimp x2
CIMG2202.jpg

Lotsa Lava
CIMG2199.jpg

Then it was back to the Portofino by boat, since the rain had slowed, and finally to bed by 1am!
Next...More rain and another cancellation!

Thursday ~ Aug 21<SUP>st</SUP> Our 3<SUP>rd</SUP> and final day at Universal

We were up early and after a breakfast of you got it, cake and coke we were off to the parks. We put on our ponchos before we left the room. You couldn’t really see out the window as it was all fogged up from all the rain. So we stepped outside and stood there in silent surprise. The sun was shining and now I knew why people looked at us so oddly. So we took off the ponchos and boarded the boat. Once at Universal Studios you guessed it, it started to rain but by now we were getting pretty good at this, so when we heard a photographer shouting, “Get your rain photo here,” we said why not.

Our Photo with Fay
9-9-2008110118AM.jpg

Our first stop was back to the Simpson’s and by now we rode all three levels. (I don’t think there was more.) Then it was back to MIB and the Mummy’s revenge, with stops in between to get out of the, on again off again, rain. We finished our shopping using our own credit card and by now it was lunch time so we headed to City Walk to catch the boat to the Royal Pacific. I had made plans to for us to eat at Islands Dining Room and they didn’t take priority seating for lunch, but it didn’t matter because when we arrived the place was empty except for one couple. We were seated and decided we didn’t want a lot to eat (must have been the cake) so we each chose an appetizer that we could share and planned on a dessert. Their appys were fantastic, and enough for the three of us. Since the restaurant was so quiet our server chatted with us a bit and even took a picture, It was raining of course and some poor guy was rushing by. After ordering three very yummy looking desserts we were greeted by the manager who thought we were guest of his hotel. My DH groaned and said, “I wish,” to which he briefly explained our troubles. He was so nice and asked us to consider staying at the Royal Pacific and then gave us all our desserts on the house in honor of DD’s and mine birthday.

Assortment of rolls & breadsticks
CIMG2224.jpg

Hawaiian Pizza
CIMG2221.jpg

Spare Ribs (spicy)
CIMG2222.jpg

Pork Pot Stickers
CIMG2223.jpg

Mango Flan
CIMG2227.jpg

Chocolate Lave Cake
CIMG2228.jpg

Key Lime Pie
CIMG2226.jpg

We left Islands and nosed around the lobby, common areas and grounds, then it was back to City Walk and a final visit to Islands of Adventure. We made a return visit to the Coin Mint shop in the Lost Continent. DH finally got his silver coin medallion (DD and myself got ours in 06) and DD wanted to get one for her DBF. This can make a special personalized gift as the coin is stamped with your two selections, one on each side and they do make quite a big production out of the process. Sir Comference was there on our last visit but I didn’t remember Sir Gyn but both of them were a riot to watch, and since I had the camcorder rolling they really hammed it up, teasing my DD when she said she didn’t want to wear the necklace but then leaving a special message for her DBF. It was fun to watch and the necklace is a nice piece to wear.

Sir Comference

My Medallion 06
Dragon Castle Side
9.jpg

Wolf Side
5.jpg

While walking through a dry period my DH noticed the place where you can get your picture taken as your favorite character. Last time it was Cat in the Hat with DD and myself as Thing 1 and Thing 2. This time we were destined to be in a Scooby-Doo picture. I kid you not.

Doesn’t DH make a great Shaggy?
9-9-2008112114AM.jpg

So one last trip over to Universal to the Universal Store, just for browsing more or less. Suddenly we noticed how the store was getting crowded and sure enough it was raining again. So we headed out of the park but not before we could pick up a drink and some cinnamon nuts. It felt like a monsoon outside and we all but ran to the boat dock only to find the boats were down. I tried to explain to DH that there had to be a bus somewhere but memories of our past days just came flooding (literally) back and he took off in the direction of the Portofino where he walked with DD and me in tow yet again. I really think that this was the day that did me in. By the time we made it to the hotel I could barely breathe and had to take a couple of breaks on the way in the pouring rain. I didn’t care at this point, really.

We piled into the hotel, hit the button for our floor and….nothing. The door opened and we tried again. Nothing. Then we tried another elevator. You guessed it…nothing. So we had no choice but to walk to the end of the wing and then up three flights to our room. We were all wetter than the last time, if that was even possible and all I wanted to do was get dry. Just to be nice my DH called the front desk and told them about the elevator. You could say the person at the desk didn’t believe us but said they’d send maintenance to check it out. Weather they did or not, we never found out.

So this night our plans to dine at Margarittaville were canceled instead we went back to Sal’s which was packed because the boats weren’t running. After around 45 minutes our food was packed and we returned to our room where we stayed until we checked out the next morning. When the folio arrived we were surprised to see that they took $150 off our room bill. Later I found out that we were not charged for the missed luau or the beautiful cake, another estimated $150 plus, Portofino’s way of making up for the mishaps of our stay. Though another mysterious charge of $18.08 showed up on our Visa Sept 11<SUP>th</SUP>. Odd.

Bye-Bye Portofino
CIMG2257-1.jpg

Now don’t get me wrong as I stated in another thread, I’m not saying don’t go to the Portofino because we had such a hard time. There was a tropical storm, tons of rain, no boats, no knife. But there was also fun in the parks despite the rain, great shopping, great food and most importantly time spent together as a family. We had good times as well as bad, but I hope it will be the good times that I’ll always remember.

That being said…Next up Disney World...but only if you Universal DISer's want to know.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter