Down The East Coast and Back Again. Featuring: The Simpson‘s, The Mouse and Fay.

The hotel and lighthouse are beautiful. I don't watch ghost hunter often but I think I saw that episode.

Tuesday ~ August 26<SUP>th</SUP>

We took our time in the morning, checked out a bit late and headed for the nearest Mickey D’s. Coffee and Cinni-mini’s were on my mind and that was just to get the taste of the cough syrup and throat lozenges out of my mouth. We had nearly a 400-mile drive ahead of us, the weather wasn’t really cooperating and I was just plain sick. DH, dear that he is, took control of the driving while I curled up in a ball in the passenger’s seat. We made several pit stops and opted for a light lunch, the reason for this was the 7:00 show at Medieval Times in Myrtle Beach, which for some reason they wanted us there at 5:30. I had pre-purchased the tickets for the Royalty package that means we would sit in the first three rows and receive a program and DVD. Kind of wondered what we would do with 3 DVD’s of the same thing. (In MD, NJ and FL we got a free picture taken with the lord or lady of the castle but not here. You’ll see a bit further along.)

Well it was now around 6:00 and it was starting to get dark and you guessed it, we were lost again. The directions were quite simple, they just weren’t marked very well. After driving in circles, we finally saw the castle or should I say DD did. We just didn’t know how to get to it. At this point DH was a little upset (did I mention he hates to get lost and won’t ask for directions!) We finally found our way in what looked like an industrial center. The road was new and led to a huge mall in the middle of nowhere and would you believe right beside the Hard Rock Park. After checking out a coaster for a brief moment, stunned that we could count the riders on one hand we headed into the castle.

Medieval Times castle in Myrtle Beach SC
CIMG2942.jpg

We checked in, got our pictures taken individually on a blank screen (?), ordered a giant Strawberry Margarita and waited. When our color was called (the evil Green Knight), we were directed to what was probably the best seat ever and in the front row. Didn’t seem to matter that we were an hour late. Our server soon arrived and filled our glasses with coke. Once upon a time they served Sangria…I guess those days are over, besides we still had that Strawberry Margarita. After drinks came a decent sized slice of garlic bread and vegetable soup, which is pureed, as there are no utensils, followed by half a roasted chicken, a rib and half of an herb-basted potato. During the meal there is a pre-show, which is usually a hawk that obeys, it’s handler to perfection. Not so, this time as the hawk took flight and swooped over our heads and to the back of the arena where its handler took off to retrieve it.

DD & DH with giant Margarita
CIMG2845.jpg

The shows are pretty much the same. You are seated in the arena sections by your color and are given a crown and banner to cheer on your knight. The show involves horses, knights, jousting, swordplay, good knights, an evil knight, lots of lighting and special effects. It’s an awesome show and should be seen at least once.

Medieval Times show
CIMG2865.jpg

CIMG2877.jpg

Our Knight
CIMG2921.jpg

CIMG2930.jpg

After we finished eating our server brought coffee that was so strong and came with one packet of creamer and one sugar or sugar substitute. Yuck. The pastry of the castle was an apple tart. Very yummy. Then the best thing of all…a nice, warm, wet wipe to clean your sticky, greasy fingers, which is the reason why not, any food pic’s. I should also mention that while we were eating our group picture was taken. Ours was very bad. DH’s eyes were closed and DD looked spaced out. The individual photos were a riot and we had to get them just for a good laugh.

Medieval Times pic’s
MTDan.jpg

MTLinda.jpg

MTHeather.jpg

Picture of the place setting, just to give you the idea of the no utensil clause.
IMG_0862.jpg

When the show was over, we checked out the gift shop and were on our way. It was late, after 9 and we couldn’t find our hotel per usual, but with DD’s help we arrived at the Ocean Reef and was happy to be checking in…or were we? Our room was waiting for us and we headed up on the 9<SUP>th</SUP> floor, slid in the key card and….nothing. So back, down to the lobby where we were given an apology and another key card. We sent DD up to the room (thinking back I should have gone with her, regardless of her age. I guess I must have been sick) while DH and I unloaded the car and when we arrived we found her in the room and totally p - o’d. Seems she went for a third key and then a maintenance guy showed up and literally had to drive his shoulder into the door to open it. The hallways were exposed to the outside so they swelled from the humidity he told DD.

I stayed in the room with DD while DH went back to park the SUV, only problem was the garage where he was supposed to go had something odd going on. It would seem that a teenage boy was standing just outside talking on his cell phone as another boy was nonchalantly looking into the backseats of cars. Yikes. Therefore, DH parked just outside the hotel under a street lamp in a metered lot that wouldn’t require money until 8 am. When he returned he was quite upset. He didn’t like the hotel at all and literally stood watch as DD and I took a walk on the beach. We all had a restless night and DH was up before 8 to plug money into the meter. We couldn’t leave the Ocean Reef soon enough.

The Hotel put plenty of money into the common areas…
CIMG2962.jpg

CIMG2964.jpg

CIMG2959.jpg

…but the room was just so-so and we didn’t feel safe
CIMG2950.jpg

The only good thing was the spectacular oceanfront view
CIMG2991.jpg

Next…Fredericksburg, VA. Our last stop before home sweet home.

Just started doing research for a Universal trip and found this thread of trip reports.

Love it and the pictures!

Sorry to hear about you being sick and about the "scary" Oceanreef hotel you stayed in.

Can't wait to hear more!:yay:

Oh yeah, I saw the episode of GH with the lighthouse and it was spooky!:eek: I told DH the next time we are in FL that I would love to do a side trip there. We'll just have to see if it's doable.

Thanks so much for reading Pikester...Universal is a great place and I hope to go back someday. I've been behind on the last of my report due to the ice storm here in central MA. No power for a week no internet or TV for two. But I'm back and on that note...

Wednesday ~ August 27

It took us a while to load the SUV since we removed everything the night before. Once repacked we headed inside to check-out of the Ocean Reef and visit the small gift shop. DD wanted a Myrtle Beach Key chain and I picked up a couple of things then we were off. DH still insisted that he drive, since my cold wasn’t getting much better. We were looking at about another 400-mile drive in which we stopped about every two hours or so in order for DH to rest and stretch his legs. I worried about him since he has a bad back and always seems to injure himself either on the way down or back from a long road trip. One week before our vacation, he slipped and fell, driving his knee into a concrete floor. The bruise went all the way down his shin. Ouch. But as usual, he persevered.

We continued to drive in and out of what was left of Fay and reached Fredericksburg, VA by mid-afternoon. This Hampton Inn was very new. So much so, that carpenters were finishing the molding along the hallway’s new carpets. Our room was new and showed no signs of wear. We must have been the first occupants in this particular room. All around us, I could see the signs of a growing area. A new hotel across the street, a parking garage and what looked to be a new mall someday was all in the works. Since it was still early, we decided to try for an early dinner and tried to find a familiar restaurant. An Outback, Olive Garden or Applebee’s would be nice and we happened to see the Outback sign from 95 and easily pulled in. The parking spots were full so DH pulled around and parked and right in front us was a sign, Joe’s Crab Shack and since there aren’t any in MA, we decided to try our luck at Joe’s.

Hampton Inn, Fredericksburg, VA
CIMG3035.jpg

CIMG3019.jpg

CIMG3020.jpg

So after a great meal of shrimp and crabs and a Bahama Mama for me and DH, we stopped at the gift shop and DD left with a t-shirt exclaiming Peace, Love & Crabs while DH grabbed one stating, Eat at Joe’s and Get Crabs! Me…I collect magnets. got them all the way down the East coast and back! So guess what happened next? DH took a wrong turn and we got lost and you got it DD came through again. So we settled in for the night and prepared for the final lap of our drive home.

Nice breakfast offerings. Did I mention it was free?
CIMG3037.jpg

The next morning we were up somewhat late and had a great breakfast of coffee, juice, milk, muffins, Danish, eggs and biscuits with gravy. We got coffee for the road, checked out and were on our way home. It was our usual routine. DH still drove and we stopped every two hours to rest. 460 miles later at 8:40 in the evening, we pulled into our driveway. We were home.

This is Muffin. We adopted her a little over a year ago. Planting herself on the suit case says it all.
CIMG3049.jpg

To sum it all up, the cold I got at Universal which stayed with me through Disney and all the way home cleared up about two weeks later, but the insistent, nagging cough stayed with me through Halloween. To this moment, I pause and think about what happened at the Portofino Bay. I wonder if maybe I over reacted due to the constant down pours of TA Fay and though I will never go to Orlando during hurricane season again I will never stay at the Portofino again. I really loved the Swan but somehow I missed the Disney magic, yet I’d stay at the Swan again. I still love driving. I love going to different places and one place I know I will return to on my way to the world is Saint Augustine, it has a special kind of magic all its own.

Finally, I would like to thank each and everyone one of you who took the time to read my very first TR. You gave me the courage to keep writing and I appreciate all of you for that. It’s great to know that someone is interested in the things you experienced and it didn’t seem to matter weather it was Universal, Disney, or your crazy drive down the east coast and back.

Thanks again.

What a great trippie! No one would ever no it was your first.

Looks like the kitty was saying you aren't leaving again!

I am glad that cough finally went away. I get those yearly. I have one right now that I have had for 2 months. It drives me nuts.

I just read your whole trip report in one sitting! I am planning our first visit to Universal (Feb) right now, which is why I stumbled on your TR. Thankfully I had just booked RPR for 4 nights and not Portofino :lmao: Your TR had a lot of great info to read about Universal and I loved reading about the rest of your adventure.

Thanks for reading. I'm glad I had some info that will help you plan. Regardless of where you stay, the Universal parks are awesome, the restaurants are incredible, especially, Mythos at Islands of Adventure and Islands Dining Room at the Royal Pacific. Enjoy and have a wonderful vacation. I'll be waiting to read your TR!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter