• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from NJ with disabled child?

goofyandmore

Mouseketeer
Ok, I am now considering taking our brand new SUV and driving to Disney from NJ. As many of you may know from my airline thread, I have 3 kids and my 6 year old has a brain injury from birth or from being premature. She looks typical, but behavior wise can appear hyper and doesn't speak except for a few words. I was worried how she would be on the plane and now my hubby is suggesting we drive.

Now, I am wondering how she would be on such a long drive. My husband thinks it will be about 18 hours, although I think it's longer. I know that when she sleeps in the car, she will wake up just like she does in bed, and want to move around. So, that may be a problem.

Also, my mom who is 78 is going and she has restless legs. So, she would have to move them a bit every now and then at least.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, carolyn

I forgot when you are planning on going.
Do you have time to make some shorter (like 4 to 5 hours away) little mini-vacations to see how things go and get her used to travel?
Some things to think about:
- When she wakes up, is she going to expect to be up and moving around for the rest of the day, or will she just want to move around a bit and then settle down so you can drive after a short stop?
- When she does wake up, can she wait a bit to get moving or does her bahavior get really annoying really fast if she can't?
- How long are you likely to be able to drive at one stretch and when you do stop, how long will the stop need to be? (If you can drive for 2 hours before needing to stop, but then can get going after a 15-20 minute stop, it might be doable. If you have to stop for a few hours after each drive, it will take you forever to get to WDW)
- Are there any things she enjoys that would keep her busy in the car (even if they are not things like tapes or books, are they portable?)
- Will her behavior interfere with or distract the driver?
- What about your other kids? Are they good travelers?

If you decide to drive, I'd suggest you join AAA if you are not already members. You could plan your own route, but they can prepare something called TRIPTIKs for you that are sort of personalized for the way you travel. Like, they can plan short 2 hour legs to the trip with places to stop for rest and hotels. We found that useful a few years ago when we traveled to the upper part of Minnesota. I just had reason to use AAA Emergency roadside assistance last week and it was awfully nice to just call an 800 number and have them send a tow truck to me (that one call paid for my membership, since towing is a member benefit).

When Judy and I traveled from Northern Virginia, we figured 15 hours actual driving time (averaging 60MPH), and this was from about 10 miles from the Southern intersection of the Washington Beltway and I-95. You estimate of 18 hours from NJ is probably correct, but remember that is ACTUAL DRIVING TIME with no delays.

You will have to go through the DC Metro area, which always has delays. Also you will have to figure stops for meals, gas, excercise, etc.

A consideration might be the Auto Train. (Look on www.amtrak.com .) That would have you driving to Lorton, VA (which is about 10 miles South of the Washington Beltway off I-95) to arrive by 2:00. The train can give everyone space they need to move around, etc. It arrives in Sanford about 8:30 the next morning and you will be about 45 miles from WDW. Timing is the same on the way back.

The auto train is a great idea!
You can find information about it on the Transportation Board. I know that Search is not available on the boards much, but I usually have good luck doing searches in the very early morning and late at night (It is turned off when the board voulme is high and comes back on when the board volume is low).

We did Orlando to Chester, NJ in 17 hours last January.......We travelled I95 the whole way home and were travelling with a 3 month old at the time.........he needed to stop for a change of scenery every 3-4 hours or so.............

I think your husband is pretty close with his estimate of 18 hours, depending on length and type of stops................

We only stopped for fuel and fast food during the ride........and rest rooms of course.

I think you'll be fine.............We are driving down again from Central NJ in two weeks and this time the little guy is 15 mos.....we have been lucky enough to borrow one of those VCR/TV's for the car........that might be something to look into....

Good luck..........You'll be fine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter