Drum Corps anyone?

For those of you who are saying "I never got to march drum corps, I always wanted to" I have a word of advice for you.

VOLUNTEER!

If there is a show in your area, find out where your favorite corps is staying and get there as early as 7am. Someone will be in the kitchen making breakfast, just offer your services! Spend the day helping out, its a blast! They always need help with sewing, cooking, shopping, and even laundry. Bake cookies and take them to the corps for lunch! Donate powdered gatoraide, anything, just get invloved in these kids lives! These kids are awsome!

Better yet, contact a corps, and spend a week on the road, this will truly change your life! It quite literally has shaved years off of my life! Most corps will pick you up at airports and take you to the airport for your trip home. Just check corps web pages, they usually have a section just for volunteers.

The best thing about being on the road is, you get to go to a drum corps show every night!

OrlandoMike said:
For those of you who are saying "I never got to march drum corps, I always wanted to" I have a word of advice for you.

VOLUNTEER!

snip

Just check corps web pages, they usually have a section just for volunteers.

The best thing about being on the road is, you get to go to a drum corps show every night!

Thanks for the idea! I haven't seen many shows in the past couple of years because of $$. I drive a bus and have thought that would be cool, but I can't dedicate an entire season to doing that. Volunteering in other areas might work though!
My dh has always spoken fondly of the different volunteers, and it's a great way to show the kids you care! Let's face it, without the volunteers, it just wouldn't be possible for drum corps to continue!

OrlandoMike said:

VOLUNTEER!

If there is a show in your area, find out where your favorite corps is staying and get there as early as 7am. Someone will be in the kitchen making breakfast, just offer your services! Spend the day helping out, its a blast! They always need help with sewing, cooking, shopping, and even laundry. Bake cookies and take them to the corps for lunch! Donate powdered gatoraide, anything, just get invloved in these kids lives! These kids are awsome!

Better yet, contact a corps, and spend a week on the road, this will truly change your life! It quite literally has shaved years off of my life! Most corps will pick you up at airports and take you to the airport for your trip home. Just check corps web pages, they usually have a section just for volunteers.

Another suggestion would be to join a DCA Corp. Wow, the best summer of my life was marching a sabre/guard spot for the Westshoreman Senior Corp! I'm still teaching colorguard and now my daughters are getting into it! They have no choice it's in their blood! DH and I met marching for Blackwatch Indoor Guard. Yes, one of the .001% straight guys you'll ever see in WGI/DCI, etc. I dated a drum guy and I think he turned out to be GAY! Who'd have guessed. Anyway, I love this SPORT and will definitely be in Allentown for DCI East (Aug 4th and 5th). See you there! :wave2:

I'm trying to get Allentown into my schedule, simply so I can see the Bridgemen alumni corps!

OK OK I want a funnel cake also! I admit it!

OrlandoMike said:
I'm trying to get Allentown into my schedule, simply so I can see the Bridgemen alumni corps!

OK OK I want a funnel cake also! I admit it!

Mike, if you go to Allentown please let us know, we're only 30 minutes away; we'll take you out to dinner!

Deal. But we may have to leave the Allentown area, when drum corps decends on that town it's hard to eat anywhere!

OrlandoMike said:
Deal. But we may have to leave the Allentown area, when drum corps decends on that town it's hard to eat anywhere!

Oh, that's fine. We can even take a trip to New Hope (lovely L&G- friendly town) or hop down to Philadelphia, where there are many cool places to dine!

I marched 78-80 in Guardsmen then quit to pursue my first love, Hockey. Would have liked to do Cavaliers Winterguard but they were too far away. Is a straight man allowed to post on this forum? I saw drum corp and couldn't resist.

"goalie5hole: I marched 78-80 in Guardsmen then quit to pursue my first love, Hockey. Would have liked to do Cavaliers Winterguard but they were too far away. "

Colorguard and Hockey! Tough choice between 2 of the greatest things in the world. At least they removed the age limit for WGI Independent World class, so you still have a chance to get back in there. Or march a Sr. Corps guard in the summer.

Peace!

I actually played sop in Guardsmen but got pretty good with a rifle because my sisters had them lying around since they were in the colorguard. Must have been the hand-eye coordination from the hockey.

PrincessMo said:
I am right outside of philly too...probably be at allentown this year!

Join Mike and us for dinner! When is "Allentown" anway (that is, where are the dates?).

1. Straight men are always allowed, if you marched drum corps you are known as a "CSP" (Cool Straight Person)

2. You guys who marched Guardsmen. :worship: You guys were awsome! Every time I hear the words Shaumburg or Hoffman Estates I get excited. How heavy were those hats?

3. Viki, I know a few great diners in Allentown that we can get into, have you ever seen a drum corps show, if not you should come, they are great! This year Allentown is on August 4th and 5th.

DCI and Disney, a marriage made in heaven........

Well I might as well tell my favorite Disney/DCI story.

After I met my DH he got a job in Disney security, his first post was the back stage gate at EPCOT, this was the first year that DCI was in Orlando. Now he has listened to me go on and on about drum corps, watched endless videos, but still didn't get the activity. That Wednesday night was the parade of Champions at EPCOT, the top 12 corps would arrive backstage to get their parking spots for the parade. Later that night, after the parade, he told me what he did. Seems the Glassmen came hobbling in on run down busses, you know the kind, smoke comming out of the back of Bus #1, kids pushing bus #2, etc, the kind of stuff that happens the last week of tour. At the same time the Blue Devils pulled up in the suite of coaches, you know the ones with air conditioning and TV's! Well there were only two unload stations left, so he gave the one with cement to the Glassmen, feeling bad for them, and told the Devils to park over there...in the mud. Blue Devils were, needless to say, pissed! It was at that point I knew the DH understood drum corps!

I spent from 1982-1990 in Drum Corps. The corps I marched were A60 corps.

1. St. Andrew's Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
2. Kawanis Kavaliers Kitchener, Ontario, Canada (they were A60 then)
3. St. John's Brantford, Ontario, Canada
4. Canadian Knights Peterborough, Ontario, Canada (brass instructor)

Always was in awe of Phantom, and Spirit of Atlanta. Velvet Knights always put on a funny show as well. I haven't kept up with what has been happening in DCI in awhile and it is hard to believe how many corps have disappeared. Thanks for reminding me about some of my good old times. Anyone remember how the heat in Kansas City (Arrowhead) sent over 200 corps members to hospital in 88? Luckily I wasn't one of them. Take care,

Rob (Snowwhite's DH)

Good God Rob!

Good thing your a male or you would have marched Les Chatelaines and the Ventures also! How's that for pulling all-girl Canadian corps out of my brain?

Remember the year the Ventures had the multi colored pohchos! Ever time I saw them one girl would be one poncho ahead, all the girls are in red, except Cindy who is in Blue. Would she remember the next poncho change? No so once again everyone now is in Blue, and Cindy is in Yellow!

It was the funniest thing!

I have to work so I will miss the DCI at the movies this year, what years did you march Bridgemen? I marched "Gahfield" early 80's. On the field you guys amazed me, off the field you scared me! LOL

I marched in Bridgemen in 1980. :banana:
Funny you mentioned the Cadets. I come from a Garfield Cadet legacy family. My dad grew up in Garfield. He marched in the old Holy Name Cadets, which became Garfield, my sister and I both marched in the Garfield Plebes, which were the little kids version of the Cadets and we both marched in the Cadets. She was colorguard captain for a year, I marched from 1977 to 1979. I marched in Bridgemen for a year, then retired at 18 y.o. I almost went to Santa Clara for the 1981 season but changed my mind.

I had to laugh at the posts about Madison Scouts. My husband marched '94 and '95. Big bass drum. After hanging out after hours with them it was quite funny watching the girls trying to get the guards attention. My husband had more guys flirting with him then I did during those nights.

1995 MADISON SCOUTS! :bounce:
WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc

Malaga the way it was meant to be played. Loved that whole show. 1987 was my first finals ever (at Camp Randall of course).

The school I work with (Irondale HS in MN) has been very well represented in the Madison Battery over the last decade or so. Last year was the first time in forever we didn't have anyone marching a spot.

Thanks for bringing up happy madison thoughts. I think it is time to put the Taste of Madison DVD on!

Peace!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter