Drying Flowers

mtblujeans

DIS Veteran
This information, about the best type of flowers for drying, comes from P. Allen Smith:

"Dried arrangements have become very popular, but if you've priced them lately, you know they are expensive, and justifiably so because a lot goes into producing them.

Over the years, I've found that many of the flowers used in these arrangements are plants I can grow in my garden. It's amazing all the flower varieties you can dry - almost anything that will keep its form and color, from roses, to hydrangeas.

There are many ways to preserve flowers, but one of my favorites is also the simplest, air-drying.

To air dry blooms gather them through the growing season when they are looking their best. Right after picking, strip the leaves from the stems. Bundle the same variety of flowers together into small groups with a rubber band, so as the stems dry, the band will continue to constrict around them. Dry large flowers, such as hydrangeas, individually. Hang the bundles or single blooms upside down in a warm, well-ventilated place out of direct sunlight. Once dried, spray the flowers with hair spray or an aerosol floral sealer to help prevent shedding and shattering. This is especially effective on ornamental grasses. If necessary, you can use thin floral wire found in craft stores to strengthen the stems.

Here is a list of my favorite flowers to grow for drying.
Globe Amaranth
Cockscomb
Statice
Hydrangea
Ornamental Grasses
Strawflowers
Celosia 'Flamingo Feather'
Chinese Lanterns
American Basket Flower
Sea Holly"

Does anyone have any more information about drying flowers? :flower3:

Its very easy... i tie the end with yarn and hang them upside down for about 2 weeks. Micheals and ac moore or any craft store has a spray you can put on them to preserve them. I've never used it b/c I put mine in shadow boxes.

Lavender is stil my favorite to dry. Cut stems before the buds have fully opened, tie stems together and hang upside down in a dry area out of direct sunlight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter