DVC Annual Pass and DDE (timeline)

sarac

Earning My Ears
We recently bought into DVC (SSR). We already have a couple of trips planned in August (5 nights/6 days) and November (2 nights/3 days). Thinking about purchasing the AP for our family and sqeezing in another trip in April/May to make it worth the $. Also thinking about DDE. We have never done a meal plan but this seems like it would fit our eating style as we sometimes share or the kids just get an appetizer. Do you think DDE is worth it???

Also, heard DDE must be purchased in advance but not sure how far out we have to do this. Since our first trip will be mid-August does anyone know when we would need to get the APs in order to purchase DDE... trying to put off to last minute for financial reasons. :)

Is there some sort of disney timeline calculater out there that would help with this?

Thank you!

I'm not aware of any calculator but we can help you.

The DDE is a great discount if you will be dining at table service restaurants. It pays off very quickly for our family.

You can actually wait until you go to your first park to purchase APs. Don't forget your DVC card and picture ids for adults. As soon as you have the cards, you just call the DDE office and join. The only catch is that the office is only open M-F during normal business hours. So if you're arriving anytime after Friday end of business, you can't call until Monday. Anyway, once you call DDE will arrange for a temp card that you can pick up at Guest Services at the front of Epcot after 5 or 5:30 that day (sorry, can't remember which it is).

You'll get the permanent card in the mail 3-4 weeks after you order.

If you prefer to order ahead, let us know and we can help you on that timing.

Do you think DDE is worth it???
You get 20% off food and drinks (including alcohol) at most table service and some counter service restaurants. A DDE card costs $65 so you need to spend at least $325 to break even, after that you start to save using the card. Take a look at the online menus at http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm and figure out what you are likely to spend on meals at participating restaurants and calculate the savings to see if it works for your family.

Also, heard DDE must be purchased in advance but not sure how far out we have to do this. Since our first trip will be mid-August does anyone know when we would need to get the APs in order to purchase DDE... trying to put off to last minute for financial reasons. :)
It takes 3-4 weeks for the card to arrive in the mail. They will leave a temporary card for you at Epcot if there is not enough time for you to get the card in the mail. You could consider ordering one AP now so that you can use the voucher to order the DDE card prior to your trip. Then purchase the rest of your APs when you get to WDW.

You might want to give the DDP a try for the short stays. More than a few days and we get sick of eating. Too much food. :thumbsup2 The DDP gives us the opportunity to eat food that we normally wouldn't eat due to cost. For the two of us our average DDP bill for the TS meals was $120. Just an idea. :idea:

One thing about the DDE card is that it doesn't expire the day your annual passes expire. I can't remember the details on how to best order DDE, but when you call to order, ask the person what the expiration date will be. I think if you wait until the XX of a given month, it pushes out to the next month. For example, our annual passes expire Aug 26 or so and our DDE card expires Sept. 30. I believe they always expire at the end of the month. Hopefully this makes sense!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

We did AP and DDE for our trip the end of May (among the rest we are planning). We ordered our AP in time to get the Vouchers about a month ahead so we would have time to get our DDE card. I have seen several places the info that BVC23 posted, the only catch is the M-F & the next day thing to pick up the temp. card.

We really like the DDE for our TS meals, keep in mind ADR's are a must. We also did 3 nights @ VB last trip and they take DDE (DDP is not available). They even gave us discount on Sunday Brunch when we ask (even though paperwork said it was excluded).

The way we looked at DDE was that it paid our tips. We added the 20% discount right back on the bill for tip (on most occasions). :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter