DVC around the world?

MerlinandtheMouse

DIS Veteran
I’m going to be attending some games in Paris for the Olympics this summer and meeting a few friends at DLP for a couple days in between and I would LOVE to stay the Disneyland Hotel but can’t justify the prices (well, I could with my own money even if I shouldn’t lol, but I’d never do that to my friends who will be on a much more modest budget). I wish it made any sense to use my points to stay there.

But it’s got me thinking, do you think we’ll ever see DVC expand to the international parks? DLP has quite a few resort hotels that are pretty great and with the expansion at Walt Disney Studios and its growing popularity, in general, I think there could be some real opportunity to add DVC. If not a whole new build, I could definitely see a wing at DL Hotel or the Art of Marvel. And, of course, there’s the huge fan base of Tokyo DL, so definitely opportunity there.

And if they did add some some international DVC options, curious if anyone would be interested in buying into any international DVC resorts or if not buy, would it make you more likely to visit those parks if our points were more accessible internationally?

As much as I like the concept, DVC is likely to remain a US only enterprise. Tokyo is definitely out since Disney owns no property or land in Tokyo (and even if there was a market, the hotels at Tokyo are always filled within minutes so they're better off building new hotels for cash guests). Tokyo is wholly owned by the Oriental Land Company. There was once a DVC office in Ikspiari (downtown disney) in Tokyo Disney Resort but that was to sell Aulani to the Japanese audience. It didn't do well.

Any timeshare involving China?... no. Considering the Chinese and Hong Kong government own the majority stakes in the those two resorts, no DVC presence will or should happen.

That simply leaves Disneyland Paris. The reputation for timeshares in Europe is worse than Satan, so I don't truly think there's a market. Most UK guests will choose WDW over DLP in a heartbeat (personally I think Disneyland Paris is the best magic kingdom, but with awfully behaving guests). A DLP trip is not long enough to justify DVC style accommodation really. When I checked into Newport Bay Club in Paris last year I explained what my DVC sweater meant to the cast member. He blankly stared at me and asked "why would you do that?"

So at the end of the day, the best members can hope for is using their points to exchange into hotel stays internationally (which is terrible value).

In Australia my closest Disney resorts are Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Having DVC options there would work for me (Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel and MiraCosta are the best Disney resorts on earth) but since the DVC market is US centric anyway, most Americans never make it to the other resorts. I can't count how many posters here say they are "east coast" so will never vist Disneyland and vice versa. Which I think is weird cos I fly 24 hours to WDW annually. 😜

As an aside, the quality of Disney attractions internationally is much better than in the US. If more US guests travelled to other resorts, I don't think the Walt Disney Co could rest on their laurels as much as they do within the United States. That said, Walt Disney World is the only true Disney Resort where you can stay 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:
All great points and much of what you’ve said I figured myself. It’s definitely fun to fantasize (especially with those fantasy suites they keep advertising in Disneyland Paris Hotel🤩) but, I sadly agree, the logistics just aren’t there.

I was hoping that with the increased awareness with all the social media content and the current levels of interest in Disney, specifically interest in the international parks, that maybe Disney would work their magic and expand DVC in a big way but likely not.

I still think DLP could work if it’s just a wing of the Disneyland Hotel, and it would probably sell reasonably well as long as the international purchasing aspect was made fairly easy (through a trust perhaps?🤔). I would certainly consider a small-medium contract even if I only used it once every 2-3 years. As an east coast based American, Paris is nearly as far of a flight as LA for me and I’d rather head to Europe than LA, pretty much any day (I’m one of those East coasters that has never been to the original Disneyland 🫣, California many times but somehow DL has never worked out, but that ends this year!). Truly impressive you make the 24 hr journey regularly, it’s honestly very intimidating😅

Maybe they can work on making the point exchange a bit better for the “deluxe” options at the international resorts, I’d take that! They can even make it seasonal to bring in more crowds during their respective slow seasons!

A DLP trip is not long enough to justify DVC style accommodation really.
I know I’m going to get a bit of hate for this but, is Disneyland California all that different? Yes, yes Walt Disney Studios needs a ton of work but they are getting their expansions! Can you spend a week at DL Cali? Most definitely. But from my understanding, 3-4 days is more than enough to get the majority of the attractions and shows done. DLP in its current form is a 2-3 day visit. Once the expansion is finished it’ll jump to 3-4 days. And I’m pretty sure there are more Disney resort hotels at DLP than there are at Disneyland, so they are semi-popular. And this isn’t a point against the original Disneyland I just think there are so many reasonable, local, non-Disney options super close to DL, and yet, after a bit of a shaky start, VGC is wildly popular. I think there’s a case for DLP yet.

I know I’m going to get a bit of hate for this but, is Disneyland California all that different?
I think the difference is cultural. Disneyland Resort is an icon and revered by its guests who, generally speaking, are well behaved. It's life goals, it's play. The restaurants and hotels provide hospitality. A place you want to spend time and keep returning.

Paris doesn't have the same affinity for Disney. It's a theme park. People walk around smoking in it, kids trample the gardens, "whatever doesn't matter." As for hospitality?... actually it's pretty good in Hotel New York and Disneyland Hotel. Other dining establishments and CMs?..oh look I'll just say it. It's just a rude place. Lol. Get in, get out and then go back once every 5-10 years.

I think the difference is cultural. Disneyland Resort is an icon and revered by its guests who, generally speaking, are well behaved. It's life goals, it's play. The restaurants and hotels provide hospitality. A place you want to spend time and keep returning.

Paris doesn't have the same affinity for Disney. It's a theme park. People walk around smoking in it, kids trample the gardens, "whatever doesn't matter." As for hospitality?... actually it's pretty good in Hotel New York and Disneyland Hotel. Other dining establishments and CMs?..oh look I'll just say it. It's just a rude place. Lol
Hahah ugh fine I begrudgingly agree😂 I know it’s a stretch to compare the OG park with DLP but times are changing and the “failure” of EuroDisney is no longer, so maybe in the not too distant future we’ll see some international DVC expansions, or again, better point exchanges! (Pls just let me use my points to stay at DLP Hotel without charging me my first born child 😩🙏🏻!)

Also, I’ve personally never seen anyone smoking in the parks, or maybe I’m just really oblivious, but France really has to really get it together with the smoking! Cmon we’re no longer in the 90s-ban smoking in a kids theme park!

Last edited:
I think since we have the ability to transfer our DVC points to stay at many of the hotels at these international resorts, it is as close as we're going to come to having a DVC location specifically created in Paris, HK, China, or Japan.....!

Disney is not going to deal with the legalities of a timeshare in the EU or China.
Is the process more difficult than the legalities and politics of building a theme park in those locations? You’re very likely correct, and it’s probably completely unnecessary anyway. I know I should know this but I’m curious now, do other timeshare companies not have hotel in other counties?

Obviously, I don't have any data and can only speak for myself, but I think the average middle-class DVC owner would be priced-out of any kind of international DVC deed. Therefore I don't see it selling well.

Between buy-in costs, dues, and the general cost of a roughly-annual WDW vacation, that already puts us at our limit for spending disposable income sensibly, and we consider ourselves upper-middle class. International flights, exchange rates, extra travel time, etc, would make that prohibitive for us.

Considering some of the above comments about timeshares not being well-received in other countries, this would essentially be a US-based product that was hoping to lure Americans abroad. I just don't see that happening financially for most people.

Obviously, I don't have any data and can only speak for myself, but I think the average middle-class DVC owner would be priced-out of any kind of international DVC deed. Therefore I don't see it selling well.

Between buy-in costs, dues, and the general cost of a roughly-annual WDW vacation, that already puts us at our limit for spending disposable income sensibly, and we consider ourselves upper-middle class. International flights, exchange rates, extra travel time, etc, would make that prohibitive for us.

Considering some of the above comments about timeshares not being well-received in other countries, this would essentially be a US-based product that was hoping to lure Americans abroad. I just don't see that happening financially for most people.
Yeah I completely agree, it would be incredibly niche and not likely to convince too many Americans. I wonder how many people outside the US own DVC. I’m sure there’s a market for it but probably not enough for DVD to invest in a project.

I will say if something like this were to happen and it joined the trust, I’d buy in for that alone. I’m not sure I’d make an international park hotel my home resort, I think you’re right the commitment might be too complicated/long, but I would definitely take advantage of the offering at 7mo and be more likely to head to those parks because I have the DVC option (at least an option where the point cost makes sense).

Is the process more difficult than the legalities and politics of building a theme park in those locations? You’re very likely correct, and it’s probably completely unnecessary anyway. I know I should know this but I’m curious now, do other timeshare companies not have hotel in other counties?
DLP was actually built and owned by a french group and Disney had to take it over.

The Disney parks in Japan and Hong Kong are locally owned. They're only licensed from Disney.

Meanwhile, Disney had issues meeting the legal requirements in Hawaii for Aulani.

In general, Marriott and other timeshares are primarily lodging companies and focus to it. Disney is a media company that happens to own some hotels.

DLP was actually built and owned by a french group and Disney had to take it over.

The Disney parks in Japan and Hong Kong are locally owned. They're only licensed from Disney.

Meanwhile, Disney had issues meeting the legal requirements in Hawaii for Aulani.

In general, Marriott and other timeshares are primarily lodging companies and focus to it. Disney is a media company that happens to own some hotels.
I knew about Tokyo but didn’t realize the rest, that’s really helpful to know, thanks!

I knew about Tokyo but didn’t realize the rest, that’s really helpful to know, thanks!

Forgive me for splitting hairs. Yes, Tokyo is entirely owned by the OLC and pays royalties to Disney but Hong Kong is a joint venture in which the Hong Kong government owns 52% and the Walt Disney Company at 48%.

In addition to using DVC points to book the DLP hotels, you can also deposit points to II and exchange into Marriott's Village d'Ile-De-France, which is right down the road from DLP.

Forgive me for splitting hairs. Yes, Tokyo is entirely owned by the OLC and pays royalties to Disney but Hong Kong is a joint venture in which the Hong Kong government owns 52% and the Walt Disney Company at 48%.
Well, that whole "part owned by another government" thing is pretty huge for the ability to do business with said government, no?

You may be aware, but a lot was earmarked for a DVC expansion at EuroDisney. But it was never built for a number of reasons. I think I remember seeing a "Disney's best kept secret" book at the Disneyland Hotel (but it might just be a false memory).
That lot is now a Marriott timeshare (Village d'Ile de France) and it's lovely. It has a well executed theme as a French village with all units being two floor houses. I've been in a 3 bedroom and it's gorgeous.
You can read my review here.
I have booked it as a Getaway week for a great price in the Internal International website. I paid under $700 for the week after thanksgiving for a 3BR, a huge value for money.
It's very unlikely (probably impossible) to get a getaway during the Olympics, but if you want to keep an eye closer to travel dates (they tend to not publish weeks far in advance, corrently there are a few weeks in March), here is how to find it from the DVC website.
Vacation Destinations > Book with Interval International > Getaways > Search by resort name and enter "MVF"

My (very little) hope was that they would convert to DVC one wing of the Disneyland Hotel or Hotel New York to pay for the refurbishment, but after Covid it seems they have much less problems to fill the hotels. Discounts have been lower than historically, so they don't need to give up inventory right now. Maybe in the future, if sales start to decline? Especially if they really make a DVC Trust it could be an asset.

It's very unlikely (probably impossible) to get a getaway during the Olympics, but if you want to keep an eye closer to travel dates (they tend to not publish weeks far in advance, corrently there are a few weeks in March), here is how to find it from the DVC website.
Vacation Destinations > Book with Interval International > Getaways > Search by resort name and enter "MVF"
That’s super helpful, might just be good to know for future visits even if the summer doesn’t work out. I’ll definitely check it out, thanks!
My (very little) hope was that they would convert to DVC one wing of the Disneyland Hotel or Hotel New York to pay for the refurbishment, but after Covid it seems they have much less problems to fill the hotels. Discounts have been lower than historically, so they don't need to give up inventory right now. Maybe in the future, if sales start to decline? Especially if they really make a DVC Trust it could be an asset.
This is what I thought could’ve been the best way to introduce DVC to the international parks but, as most have said, there just isn’t a market or need for it right now. If the trust kicks off, I could see them eventually expanding internationally (if logistics and legalities allow them to, anyway).

All great points and much of what you’ve said I figured myself. It’s definitely fun to fantasize (especially with those fantasy suites they keep advertising in Disneyland Paris Hotel🤩) but, I sadly agree, the logistics just aren’t there.

I was hoping that with the increased awareness with all the social media content and the current levels of interest in Disney, specifically interest in the international parks, that maybe Disney would work their magic and expand DVC in a big way but likely not.

I still think DLP could work if it’s just a wing of the Disneyland Hotel, and it would probably sell reasonably well as long as the international purchasing aspect was made fairly easy (through a trust perhaps?🤔). I would certainly consider a small-medium contract even if I only used it once every 2-3 years. As an east coast based American, Paris is nearly as far of a flight as LA for me and I’d rather head to Europe than LA, pretty much any day (I’m one of those East coasters that has never been to the original Disneyland 🫣, California many times but somehow DL has never worked out, but that ends this year!). Truly impressive you make the 24 hr journey regularly, it’s honestly very intimidating😅

Maybe they can work on making the point exchange a bit better for the “deluxe” options at the international resorts, I’d take that! They can even make it seasonal to bring in more crowds during their respective slow seasons!

I know I’m going to get a bit of hate for this but, is Disneyland California all that different? Yes, yes Walt Disney Studios needs a ton of work but they are getting their expansions! Can you spend a week at DL Cali? Most definitely. But from my understanding, 3-4 days is more than enough to get the majority of the attractions and shows done. DLP in its current form is a 2-3 day visit. Once the expansion is finished it’ll jump to 3-4 days. And I’m pretty sure there are more Disney resort hotels at DLP than there are at Disneyland, so they are semi-popular. And this isn’t a point against the original Disneyland I just think there are so many reasonable, local, non-Disney options super close to DL, and yet, after a bit of a shaky start, VGC is wildly popular. I think there’s a case for DLP yet.
We think of VGC as our “Southern California apartment” with access to San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles (as long as you plan your drive times accordingly or take the MetroLink).

Last edited:
We think of VGC as our “Southern California apartment” with access to San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles (as long as you plan your drive times accordingly or take the MeteoLink).
I was going to say that’s an expensive apartment but just realized we’re talking about Southern California here😅 So actually, pretty smart if you have the points for that kind of a stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter