DVC in DLP?

Canadian Harmony

DIS Veteran
I read a few threads and the main opinion seems to be that using DVC points for a stay in Paris isn't really worth it.

Is there a reason for that? I don't mind banking and saving my points for a 3 night stay in the New York Marvel hotel (totally got the name wrong, I know), because I only use about 86 every year for my annual pilgrimage to DLR.

Is there another reason why I should pay money instead of using DVC?

I’ve honestly had the same thought about Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Hotel Paris. I think ultimately you get the most value for your points on deluxe hotels labeled for DVC but IDK I think the best value is not spending the money on a trip when you have the points. If you have extra spending money to use on stays outside of the DVC playbook, great. But it’s still a tool to use in other situations which is why they offer it for cruises, ABD, and the international parks.

I might also be missing something though. I wouldn’t mind hearing from someone with more experience.

I have heard your dollars go further if you rent out your DVC points and take the proceeds in cash to purchase your stay elsewhere.

But that’s what I’ve heard.

Often DLP and Tokyo won't let you book any more than 3-4 months out. There is the $95 fee and the inflexibility of switching dates. And they won't always permit the trade which can be awkward if you have had to plan airfare.

Your points are yours to use for your pleasure and satisfaction. Yes, you can rent them out and use the cash to pay for a DLP hotel (or a DCL cruise, or Adventures by Disney), but if you don’t want to deal with that process, use your points and have a great trip!

The points chart for non-DVC/international resorts is extraordinarily high because Disney need to take your points, which they use to rent, and pay for your room in cash. The mouse needs to make this worth their while. You will come out better off by renting your points on your own and using the cash to book Tokyo and Paris. We travel to the international parks frequently but I won't use my DVC points there.

The two options you have are (a) to exchange your points directly through DVC/Disney for a trip to the Paris or Tokyo resorts; or (b) to rent your points and then use the cash to book a stay at DL Paris or DL Tokyo. The difference between the number of points needed for option (a) and option (b) is quite astonishing. I looked into this a few years ago, and as I recall it would have cost me nearly double the points to go directly through Disney (option a) versus taking the rent/cash avenue (option b).

I have chosen a random 3 nights stay in May 2024 during low season.
The art of Marvel is 73 points per night for an hotel room with two beds. In comparison, the same nights at the VGF cost 21 points per night for a lake view studio, 59 points per night for a 2 bedroom. You can immediately see how much further your points can work for DVC resorts.

If you try to book the same nights on the DLP UK website, a package costs $2,177.
So the "value" of the 219 points seems to be around $10 per point, which wouldn't be too bad. But the package includes tickets for 2 people for length of stay. The tickets for four days would cost $650, which brings the value of the points for room only to $7, which is quite bad.

Sure, you might save a bit buying tickets for 3 or 2 days only rather than length of stay, but the math wouldn't change a lot and you don't have entrance to the parks on travel days, which might be nice to have.
But there is currently no offer for those dates on the website, if you research a bit you can probably get the package for a better price.
And not counting the better cancellation policy and flexibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter