DVC investment question

SusanSeng

Mouseketeer
We are not really looking at the DVC as a investment because in 20 years is it really going to be worth what we paid given the fact it only has 23 years to go? I am not into numbers so for me to calculate what it will be worth would just totally confuse the heck out of me.
We are trying to look at this plan as a good way to afford vacations for the next 40 years, but after that time it will be worth nothing, correct. (we are in our 30's so I think when 40's years are up, we will have gotten our money's worth.)

all dvc resorts contracts no matter where they are located will expiry in 2042. what disney will do then is anyone guess.

Susan, I agree with you you are buying a vacation discount. I think it pays for itself in 5-7 years (or trips). We are in our 40's and wish we bought in our 30's because we have gone probbly 7-8 times in the last ten years. Now we're looking at enjoying it with our family and friends and potential grandkids (not for another 10 years or so). By the way what did you decide to do about your purchase? We just sent a deposit on our resale. Finally just decided to go for it! Figured we can always resell it down the road.

Well, we have contacted Jaki and the timeshare store and right now they have nothing to meet our needs. Both state that we have a decent deal going with Disney with the MB program. If we cancel this we will lose that discount. So if nothing comes in by Monday we are buying into VWL.
Either way, we are in!

Is Kmart still in DeKalb. I worked there for about 3 years while I was in school.

Congratulations! Well in a few weeks we'll both be "welcomed Home". I think you are right MB is a good deal- we just happened on someone who was dealing and got $62/pt at BW with all 2000 and 2001 points available. This was important as we wanted those points to take a group in at New Years (hopefully the ressies will still be there)
Kmart is now a Big K but they're really hurting with competition from Target and Super Walmart. We are actually getting a mall - Carsons, Penney's, etc. So I won't have to drive to Oakbrook or Fox Valley all the time!

I suspect that in twenty years time you will at least be able to get back from your purchase what you paid for it. My reasoning is that, based on my short personal experience and the comments of many on this board, one can realize a payback period of 3-5 years as compared to staying at a deluxe resort - even at today's prices.
I'm sure in two decades the payback period may be even shorter. Any one purchasing DVC even in 2021 will still have more than enough time to recoup their purchase price in the amount of money saved vs. cash resort prices.
A quick calculation shows that even assuming a modest 5% inflation factor for resort room prices, a $100/night room in 2001 will be a $265/night room in 2021 - at 2031 it becomes $432/night. One would have to go out quite a ways to reach the point where it would be more cost-effective to do cash reservations at other deluxe resorts vs. purchasing DVC. I know for me the decision to purchase was the right one !

dvc.gif

11/99 DxL
11/00 DxL
6/01 VWL
12/01 OKW-GV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter