DVC Mike Live at VGF (Mar 1-8)

I went over to the MK today to ride POTC, but it was down “due to technical difficulties”. Doh! I wanted to try to develop my preliminary skills of taking dark ride shots, and POTC is just about my level.

After waiting for a while, I headed over to the Haunted Mansion, which is much darker than POTC. I need to improve my dark ride skills.

12935215063_09951fe66b_o.jpg

I forgot to mention that we have a pretty good view of Wishes from our room.

For most of our past trips, we always had a lot of signature table service. This trip, however, we’ve focused on eating most of our meals at more casual table service spots - primarily the Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona Cafe. We’ve had several breakfast and dinner meals at each.

Tonight was another dinner at Kona Cafe, and it was all sushi. For my wife, who has severe allergies to gluten, most grain vinegars and soy, they really accommodated her.

She had an avocado roll drizzled with a mango sauce, a ****ake mushroom roll, a mushroom and squash roll, as well as “fruishi”.

The latter is a pineapple, blackberry and kiwi roll drizzeled with a slightly sugared coconut sauce. It looked like this:

12938761583_6c558a6289_o.jpg

I had the California Luau roll and the Shrimp Tempura roll.

Mike your pictures are absolutely amazing!! We love the Kona Cafe. I have followed your past trip reports. We are going to be back at BWV in a few weeks. Looking at your pictures is helping me get through yet another snow fall!! Thanks and have a great time!

We went over to the Contemporary resort to eat dinner at California Grill.

Normally, a chef comes out to speak with my wife about her allergies. I was a bit surprised that Chef de Cuisine Brian Piasecki came out to speak with us. Brian heads the culinary team at California Grill and spent much of last year perfecting the new menu introduced once when California Grill reopened in September after the remodel.

While I immediately recognized Chef Brian, my wife did not. My wife is used to being overly clear and extremely cautious so her food is safe to consume. Therefore, I almost chuckled as she asked him if he liked certain items on the menu. He was patient with her and spent a lot of time helping her.

He also he personally prepared all my wife’s dishes - and it was fantastic!

We had the table for two on the left.

12960672994_51dfa6c2cb_o.jpg

Here’s a look back at the Grand Floridian. It was cloudy tonight with rain expected tomorrow afternoon

12960390523_07a9649a68_o.jpg

I’ve taken this shot dozens of times - a shot of BLT from the top of the Contemporary resort.

12960676134_4571e1651f_o.jpg

Well, I looks like today will be a rainy day, with some possible thunderstorms this afternoon.

All the park commandos left for the parks with their ponchos on. That's not our cup of tea anymore.

Thank you for sharing! GFV looks gorgeous. I am hoping to be able to book there at some point even though we don't own there. In the meantime, the DIS has kept me occupied and encouraged until our next trip in 9 days!

Thanks for all the wonderful photos Mike. You truly have an "eye" for what is beautiful.
Thank You again

Your night time photo of BLT just made my jaw drop. Wow, that shot has to make the architect proud. Thanks for taking the time to shoot photos and share them with us. :worship:

Glad your DW has been able to enjoy food normally forbidden to her.

We went up to the Top of the World lounge at BLT. My favorite decoration is the monorail background.

12982189543_2e33080b79_o.jpg

A couple shots of the Grand Floridian lobby tonight. I always like relaxing here, listening to either the piano player or the band.

12982192143_bb01b34472_o.jpg

12982194903_53709ae770_o.jpg

Beautiful shots! Would you mind telling what lenses you are using for your interior shots?

Well, the rain from yesterday is gone, although today will be the coolest day here, with the high around 66 degrees.

It was a bit windy this morning, as you can tell from the palm trees.

12991344765_cf0016fafc_o.jpg

I like just sitting in the lobby of the Grand Floridian before it gets busy. Here is a shot looking up at the ceiling while relaxing on a couch.

12991347645_becab6a56c_o.jpg

Beautiful shots! Would you mind telling what lenses you are using for your interior shots?

I have a Canon 5D Mark III and I brought three lenses down to Disney with me:

• Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - general walk about lens
  • Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM - wide angle used for the interior shots
  • Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - fast lens used for dark rides

With all the scheduled refurbs going on at the Polynesian resort, and the Great Ceremonial House undergoing refurbishment starting this month, I wonder if the lovely rock & water works in the center of the lobby will be changing.

12991794375_8f396acdcf_o.jpg

Today is our last day here, as our Magic Express pickup is tomorrow morning.

We’ll finish off the trip with another dinner at Kona Cafe. The walk from VGF to the Poly is pleasant and short.

12992399984_653bf81456_o.jpg

And now, a message from Mrs. DVC Mike, who seems to me to be happy at VGF (but what can I tell – I’m a man).

Oh let me count the many ways I love Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa!

My husband and I first experienced the Grand Floridian Resort on our honeymoon for a wonderful 9-night stay. During our visit, took the Disney Vacation Club tour and became DVC members. While spending four weeks a year at great DVC resorts such as Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, etc. – sadly, we never returned for a stay at the Grand Floridian, but we would often visit their many dining locations, the lounge, the lobby and everything else this wonderful resort has to offer.

Over the years I absolutely fell in love with the ambiance that fills the halls of this exceptional resort. After having the opportunity to experience the many offerings of other resorts I had come to a decision. If ever Disney were to ever open a DVC component at the Grand Floridian, I would want to not only stay there, but also buy and own there.

Finally, after many years the rumors started floating around and I knew my opportunity was near! We debated on how many points to buy, what part of the year we would want to stay, (the same conversation most of you have shared in your household, no matter the resort). And then, the design the Disney Imagineers conceived was presented for us all to ponder - the pictures, the floor plans, the details that only Disney can create - Oh the glory of it all!!! I pounced, like a cheetah on a plump and juicy gazelle.

Finally, I could walk to breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe, stroll to dinner at Citricos, look forward to our rare but much anticipated next visit to Victoria and Alberts, and skip to the Senses Spa RIGHT ACROSS THE DRIVEWAY IN FRONT OF THE VILLAS! - floating "home" after a spa treatment.

We bought the first day we were able, sight unseen, with enough points for a studio every other year. After a brief period of time (one week or so) I realized I wanted to go every year and so we purchased a second round of points with husband completely on board, again sight unseen. Oh happy day!

Upon arriving on our next trip to WDW, I could not wait to see the model rooms at SSR in person. All the photographs were great and it did help that we had stayed in the Grand Floridian hotel, but they simply do not do justice to the real thing as walking through the model and seeing it first hand.

We headed out the door for the tour. The studio was lovely. However, then we left the studio and headed into the one bedroom. Wow! I immediately realized that although the studios are lovely, it would be impossible to hold back and not purchase more points for a one bedroom.

I'm not sure at what point I lost all control - all I can say is I literally ran down the hallway to head back outside, squealing as I ran across the outside driveway saying “hurry, we need to buy more points!”. I turned to see all the other visitors on the tour smiling at me and giving sympathetic looks to my husband. I ran to the door only to hear the woman at the podium outside saying, “no, no, come over hear, I have to set up an appointment”. We met her at the podium gave her Maribella’s name and I tried to wait patiently.

Let me put it this way, it was so clear from my demeanor that we were going to purchase more points she gave a "code red" announcement (well, not literally ) over the radio. “We have a couple here that are ready to buy-buy-buy! Please get a room ready and let their rep know”, and in we went.

The rest went rather fast as we have been down this points add-on road enough times before. All we really needed to do was calculate how many more points we needed to get a one bedroom every year. We flew through the paperwork and the deal was done! After the boring part was over, I asked our rep if she would walk us through the one bedroom again due to most of it being a blur for me.

And now here we are, enjoying the place we spent our honeymoon, and we get to come back every year, which allows us to take the time to express appreciation and thank one another for the support we give each other. But also to remember when our lives started as a couple and how we have changed and grown, but doing so together. With ups and downs, always together – that, my friends, is truly priceless.

And although I would not suggest anyone purchase points at any resort sight unseen, we had had the good fortune of starting our lives, our love and our friendship here. So if you know yourself well and are capable of knowing in your heart and mind what works for your family - don't hold back. Life is short, we all need to remember and take time for our loved ones, our closest relationships and ourselves. We owe it to ourselves to honor what is truly important: happiness.

May all your wishes come true.

What a beautiful sentiment and what a joy to read!! So nice to hear how happy you both are with VGF. I think I will be visiting there next week....I can't say I will be running to the podium to buy but you never know.

Back from our final dinner on this trip. It's time to pack our two Owner's Lockers.

It's just 1 month and 25 days until we're back at WDW - at BWV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter