DVC Occupancy Thread Part 2

For Studios, they will only allow 4 plus one under the age of 3. I believe the Value Studios at AKV Jambo House is an exception at only 4 regardless of ages. Studios at VGF (and soon VWL) have a stated occupancy of 5.

For 1-bedrooms, DVC will allow 5 of any age even if the stated occupancy is 4. Again the exception are the Values at AKV Jambo House which is capped at 4 plus one under the age of 3.

OKW, BLT and AKV (except value) 1BR officially sleep 5 as they have a sleeper chair in addition to the pull out couch. Kidani and BLT 1 BR have 2 full bathrooms which are quite nice ;)

I currently have a search through RCI for a 2 bedroom. There will be 4 adults, 1 3 - 4 year old, and 1 1 year old in the party. According to what I have read here, we could use a 1 bedroom. I currently have a search in for a 2 bedroom because I was worried about the occupancy. If you look at the RCI website it says Sleeps 4 !1 BR). It would be way easier to get a 1 BR than a 2. Should I change my search criteria to a 1 BR? It would work with the size of the party, correct?
Thanks!

I currently have a search through RCI for a 2 bedroom. There will be 4 adults, 1 3 - 4 year old, and 1 1 year old in the party. According to what I have read here, we could use a 1 bedroom. I currently have a search in for a 2 bedroom because I was worried about the occupancy. If you look at the RCI website it says Sleeps 4 !1 BR). It would be way easier to get a 1 BR than a 2. Should I change my search criteria to a 1 BR? It would work with the size of the party, correct?
Thanks!

EDIT: See Chuck's answer below. I initially read one of your occupants as as an eleven year old rather than one 1-year old.

Thanks!

Are you looking at 4 adults plus 1 child age 3 to 4, plus 1 infant or are you looking at 4 adults, 1 3 year, 1 4 year old plus 1 infant?

If the former,there are other factors. DVC Member Services may allow DVC Owners to book it, but the agreement with RCI may not, just as Cash reservations can not book 5 plus an infant. I suspect RCI follows the same booking rules as cash, and you'd need a 2 bedroom.

If the latter, 6 plus an infant, as tjkraz said, you'd need a 2 bedroom no matter what.

You should go with whatever RCI states is occupancy, since you are an inbound RCI exchange.

Thanks!
Once you get an exchange you could talk with DVC MS. They will likely limit you to official occupancy plus the infant which would mean some 1 BR would work and some wouldn't. RCI will not let you trade for a 1 BR for more than 4 though so you'll have to limit your options to 4 if you elect to take your chances on a 1 BR. If you call RCI, they will limit you to 4 including the infant and 6 for the 2 BR including the infant. This happens with a lot of timeshares where they will allow, and often have bedding for a larger number than the exchange occupancy. DVC 2 BR only exchange for 6 as do most 2 BR units.

Thanks for your answers. I would have a party of 5 (4 adults plus a 3 year old) (I said 3/4 because her birthday is in October) and a 1 year old infant. I was just curious because reading these boards I have seen where a 1 bedroom would accommodate the size of my party, but RCI says max 4 for a 1 BR. I don't want to do anything to compromise my booking so I will just continue to look for a 2 BR. I may call RCI so if I find out I can look for a 1 BR with the party size I will post it here so others will know.
I really enjoy reading these boards because there is so much info to be shared. I have been going to WDW since the year it opened, and I go anywhere from every other year to twice a year. The longest I have been between visits is 4 years, a long time ago. Since my son was born in 1985, we have gone at least every other year. Compared to what you all know, though, I feel like a rookie, lol.

Thanks for your answers. I would have a party of 5 (4 adults plus a 3 year old) (I said 3/4 because her birthday is in October) and a 1 year old infant. I was just curious because reading these boards I have seen where a 1 bedroom would accommodate the size of my party, but RCI says max 4 for a 1 BR. I don't want to do anything to compromise my booking so I will just continue to look for a 2 BR. I may call RCI so if I find out I can look for a 1 BR with the party size I will post it here so others will know.
I really enjoy reading these boards because there is so much info to be shared. I have been going to WDW since the year it opened, and I go anywhere from every other year to twice a year. The longest I have been between visits is 4 years, a long time ago. Since my son was born in 1985, we have gone at least every other year. Compared to what you all know, though, I feel like a rookie, lol.
As I stated, RCI will tell you a max of 4 for all 1 BR units and 6 for 2 BR units.

If it were a straight DVC reservation, you (since you are a party of five plus one) would have to book a one bedroom villa that officially sleeps five, not one that officially sleeps four. That would limit you to AKV (not value one bedroom at Jambo House though), BLT or OKW. All the others officially sleep four plus one.

DCV unofficially allows five in the one bedroom villas that officially sleep four, but not five plus one. And if you have a fifth person in these villas, you have to provide your own sleeping surface (like an aerobed) and the linens for the bed. You would only get four bath towels, so you would need to bring some for the extra person or purchase a towel pack for $6.

I spoke with an RCI rep today and he said I could book the 1 BR if it is a villa that accommodates my party size, but I would continue to look for a 2 BR as well. I told him I did not want to compromise my RCI booking if it stated MAX 4 but that some Disney 1 BR villas now sleep 5 plus 1 infant.
Thanks for all your responses!

That would limit you to AKV (not value one bedroom at Jambo House though), BLT or OKW. All the others officially sleep four plus one.

That is correct, but RCI even has those 3 as MAX 4. I read that the BLT also accommodates 5 plus 1 now.

I spoke with an RCI rep today and he said I could book the 1 BR if it is a villa that accommodates my party size, but I would continue to look for a 2 BR as well. I told him I did not want to compromise my RCI booking if it stated MAX 4 but that some Disney 1 BR villas now sleep 5 plus 1 infant.
Thanks for all your responses!

That is correct, but RCI even has those 3 as MAX 4. I read that the BLT also accommodates 5 plus 1 now.
You could end up with multiple exchange fees if not careful. My suggestion is you either stay with a 2 BR or limit your choices to resorts that have a 1 BR that's acceptable to you AND the occupancy works out with your party of 6. All that really matters is you get an exchange that works for you and the destination resort will allow you to stay in. If that's a 1 BR that RCI lists as 4 but DVC will allow your party of 6 including one infant, you're OK.

If I did end up with a 1 BR that meets our needs, which one would be the best, in your opinion. I know they say OKW has the most space, but the other 2 have 2 bathrooms. Last time we stayed at the Beach Club, which I loved, but 1 bathroom can be a bit of a bother. (We have since added the infant, and the 3 year old has reached the status of adult). In my opinion, anything on Disney property is wonderful, but I love other opinions, especially if you have stayed there. I usually stay at a nearby condo, but I've gotten spoiled being on property.

If I did end up with a 1 BR that meets our needs, which one would be the best, in your opinion. I know they say OKW has the most space, but the other 2 have 2 bathrooms. Last time we stayed at the Beach Club, which I loved, but 1 bathroom can be a bit of a bother. (We have since added the infant, and the 3 year old has reached the status of adult). In my opinion, anything on Disney property is wonderful, but I love other opinions, especially if you have stayed there. I usually stay at a nearby condo, but I've gotten spoiled being on property.
The only one with 2 actual baths that you can count on is BLT. AKV will only for Kidani and while most exchanges are to Kidani, there's no guarantees. IF I were in the situation of 5 and looking at a 1 BR for exchange, I'd list OKW, AKV and BLT as well as possibly VGF when it comes on the RCI list. For me personally I'd just list 2 BR units and list all on property, I think your chances of success are as good or better if you have sufficient trade power. You'll likely need a TPU up in the 40's, best high 40's.

I really appreciate your information. I am at the point of almost taking a 1 BR at OKW (it has broken my heart as I have turned down BW and WL (twice) in the last 24 hours as they were both 1 BRs). I currently have the 1 BR OKW on hold, but if I thought I could get a 2 BR I would throw it back for sure. I have a TPU of 51. I would just kick myself if I didn't take it and was not offered anything else. I also have a reservation at BLT (1 BR) for late November, but to get a trade at this point would save so much money.I have a couple of days to think about it. I do know since I opened up my search to include the last week of September I am getting offers at least twice daily.
What do you think of the prospects for October? Is that a busy month to go?

**edit to add: this thread has been so helpful! I started re-reading this thread and saw where someone said "Technically, DVC now publishes points charts for OKW stating under 1BR villa "all sleep 4, most sleep 5", and decided to modify my search for 5 adults because I thought I may just get one of the villas that only sleeps 4. Anyway, you all have been most helpful. Thanks so much!

I really appreciate your information. I am at the point of almost taking a 1 BR at OKW (it has broken my heart as I have turned down BW and WL (twice) in the last 24 hours as they were both 1 BRs). I currently have the 1 BR OKW on hold, but if I thought I could get a 2 BR I would throw it back for sure. I have a TPU of 51. I would just kick myself if I didn't take it and was not offered anything else. I also have a reservation at BLT (1 BR) for late November, but to get a trade at this point would save so much money.I have a couple of days to think about it. I do know since I opened up my search to include the last week of September I am getting offers at least twice daily.
What do you think of the prospects for October? Is that a busy month to go?

**edit to add: this thread has been so helpful! I started re-reading this thread and saw where someone said "Technically, DVC now publishes points charts for OKW stating under 1BR villa "all sleep 4, most sleep 5", and decided to modify my search for 5 adults because I thought I may just get one of the villas that only sleeps 4. Anyway, you all have been most helpful. Thanks so much!

You will love OKW. It has all the onsite benefits, yet has the relaxed feel of an offsite condominium community. Enjoy your vacation.

But not through RCI. You may lock yourself out of the very 1 BR you're searching for and even if the units were different, like AKV, RCI doesn't have that info or list those numbers for occupancy.

Hi,

Ok I have a few questions.

I am considering buying DVC points. We love BWI and were considering buying there but it says 1 beds only sleep 4 people. We are currently 2 adults and 3 children ages for the next trip will be 9 years, 8 years and 2 years. From what I understand we would be ok this trip with a 1 bed. That's fine but I am wondering about future trips. Would we then need a 2 bed? That kind of rules out buying at BWV as we could not afford that many points.

Are there any other resorts you would recommend?

We are all quite happy in close proximity of each other so space isn't really that big of a deal just want to no the official rules so that we buy somewhere suitable.

Thanks.

Hi,

Ok I have a few questions.

I am considering buying DVC points. We love BWI and were considering buying there but it says 1 beds only sleep 4 people. We are currently 2 adults and 3 children ages for the next trip will be 9 years, 8 years and 2 years. From what I understand we would be ok this trip with a 1 bed. That's fine but I am wondering about future trips. Would we then need a 2 bed? That kind of rules out buying at BWV as we could not afford that many points.

Are there any other resorts you would recommend?

We are all quite happy in close proximity of each other so space isn't really that big of a deal just want to no the official rules so that we buy somewhere suitable.

Thanks.

All DVC 1 bedroom units, except the Value class units at AKV cureently allow 5 of any age. However, for the 5th person, you'd need to provide the bed (usually an air mattress) and bed linens. At AKV non-value units, OKW and BLT there is an additional pull out single sleeper chair in the living room in addition to the pull out couch for the 5th person. Most other resorts do not have the needed floor space for the current sleeper chair design. I'm a pretty big guy and found the sleeper chair at OKW to be comfortable.

Thank you for that. So what is the set up in the 1 beds then. Is it just one bed and a sleeper sofa or is it 2 queens?

Thank you for that. So what is the set up in the 1 beds then. Is it just one bed and a sleeper sofa or is it 2 queens?

There is a king bed in the bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room. In those properties that sleep 5 in a 1BR (Old Key West, Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake Tower, Grand Floridian) there is also a sleeper chair in the living room that folds out into a single bed.

Personally, I would look for an OKW resale. It would be your cheapest option and the rooms are the largest of any DVC property. It is one of our home resorts and we absolutely love our stays there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter