DVC Point Charts for 2011 - Post chart release discussion begins on Pg 14

nocknock

Mouseketeer
Are they out yet? Shouldn't they be out now? I can find anything about it? I am trying to plan a trip for next year and can not figure out any points or anything about this trip.

Has anything been announced?

Are they out yet? Has anything been announced?

no and no. they should be out but they are not. many posters suspect more changes will be made to the point charts in 2011 but there has been no official word. the release of the pt charts could be as late as the end of january. we'll see.

If it is anything like last year when they came out late January, they will first raise the point price, lower their price incentives, declare minimum add-ons are raised to 100, and then a few days later issue new charts reallocting points so that the time you usually go will cost more points requiring you to buy 100 point add-on at a high cost to make up the difference. Czar Lewis seems to be adroit at doing things like that.

I copied my post from the annual association meeting thread:

I was one of the last to ask a question. I commented that the notification of last year's point re-allocation was very late, only a few days before the opening of the 11 month window. And when would the 2011 point charts come out, and if there would be another re-allocation.

The non-answer I got was mostly why they re-allocated last year. She finally mentioned that they are currently 'evaluating' the 2011 point charts, and to keep checking the member website for them to be posted.

With that answer, I think another re-allocation is not at all unlikely.

I was one of the last to ask a question. I commented that the notification of last year's point re-allocation was very late, only a few days before the opening of the 11 month window. And when would the 2011 point charts come out, and if there would be another re-allocation.

The non-answer I got was mostly why they re-allocated last year. She finally mentioned that they are currently 'evaluating' the 2011 point charts, and to keep checking the member website for them to be posted.

What a great non-answer! Trying to stop the complaints from pouring in before they have done changes I'm sure, but it's what many were expecting considering that they haven't been released yet.

I do hope they manage to get them out sooner rather than at the very last minute.

I certainly understand the need for re-allocation from time to time, but the delayed release is very frustrating.

Well the members meeting is over, you know they would not have come out with any changes before that.

bookwormde

The sphincter muscle of most there, who usually go first two weeks of December and fear that time period is next on the reallocation hit list, must have contracted royally when that answer was given.

Agree that DVD borders on the malicious by delaying things like this. Last year was the worst demonstration of that I have ever seen. BLT members, who had bought relying on the 2009 chart and had yet to ever use their points, first learned in mid-January 2009 that the BLT price per point was raised and that the minimum add-on was raised to 100 points, and a week thereafter they learned the points had been reallocated, raising the need for many to do small add-ons that they obviously could no longer do. That combination of events was either incredibly stupid or extremely malicious and DVD refuses to admit it was incredibly stupid.

I certainly understand the need for re-allocation from time to time, but the delayed release is very frustrating.

Point re-allocation follows the simple laws of supply and demand. Bust seasons see an increase in the required points, while slow times see a decrease in required points. Its like putting the slow seasons on sale, and raising the price of fast selling ressie periods.

Agree that DVD borders on the malicious by delaying things like this. Last year was the worst demonstration of that I have ever seen. BLT members, who had bought relying on the 2009 chart and had yet to ever use their points, first learned in mid-January 2009 that the BLT price per point was raised and that the minimum add-on was raised to 100 points, and a week thereafter they learned the points had been reallocated, raising the need for many to do small add-ons that they obviously could no longer do. That combination of events was either incredibly stupid or extremely malicious and DVD refuses to admit it was incredibly stupid.

BLT was definately the worst for impact, but AKV Kidani wasn't much further behind. We bought in at AKV and our resort didn't open until after the reallocation announcement. So although we could have booked our resort for the few months left of 2009 after it opened, it left a sour taste in our mouth. We would have bought more points at the time (lesson learned) if we had any idea that the reallocation would have happened so soon. You'd think they would have built in the current 2010 allocation into both Kidani and BLT when they went on sale.

BLT was definately the worst for impact, but AKV Kidani wasn't much further behind. We bought in at AKV and our resort didn't open until after the reallocation announcement. So although we could have booked our resort for the few months left of 2009 after it opened, it left a sour taste in our mouth. We would have bought more points at the time (lesson learned) if we had any idea that the reallocation would have happened so soon. You'd think they would have built in the current 2010 allocation into both Kidani and BLT when they went on sale.

AKV was open prior to the points reallocation. It opened in 2007 with the Jambo House units.

AKV was open prior to the points reallocation. It opened in 2007 with the Jambo House units.

Yes, Jambo was, but Kidani was not, although they share the same point chart, they are different resorts and booking categories.

Again, I do believe BLT was the worst of the two, but considering Kidani was a seperate resort and it was a new sale for a resort that wasn't open (no dues were payable until it opened, etc.) it is also very similar in experience.

Any news on the 2011 charts?

Historically, when do they usually come out? I was thinking it was before now but sometimes others memories are better then mine.

Any news on the 2011 charts?

Historically, when do they usually come out? I was thinking it was before now but sometimes others memories are better then mine.

Historically, yes the points charts would be issued by now. However, last year 's issue of the 2010 point charts were delayed until late January. Those charts had major reallocations of points. There is lots of speculation that since the 2011 charts are delayed that another point reallocation will occur. Nothing to base this opinion on just a lot of worry. If you search the Mousecellaneous board you'll probably find some threads about the 2011 charts.

Historically, yes the points charts would be issued by now. However, last year 's issue of the 2010 point charts were delayed until late January. Those charts had major reallocations of points. There is lots of speculation that since the 2011 charts are delayed that another point reallocation will occur. Nothing to base this opinion on just a lot of worry. If you search the Mousecellaneous board you'll probably find some threads about the 2011 charts.

I think your worry may be well founded. One thing that has always bothered me about the 2010 charts since they were released is the same point requirements for a week in a studio during both Adventure and Choice seasons.

Not all have it, but if you look at AKV, BLT, BCV, BWV & VWL they all have some weekly studio point totals that are identical for both seasons. In my mind, I find it hard to believe that is truly reflective of demand and think that it may be caused by the reallocation hitting the 20% max for those studios and that further reallocation is coming sooner rather than later.

But maybe it's just my suspicions getting the better of me.:rolleyes:

From DVC's perspective, I can see why they would want to wait as long as possible. They currently have at least some reservation data up through November 24, 2010. Every day that goes by is another day of information about 2010. By delaying until January, they can get data through most of 2010. Plus, every day they wait is another day to get more purchasing data on the resorts. I would think that points allocation is considerably more complicated in an environment where there are several million points in developer inventory to be sold as there are right now -- BLT, VGC, AKV, SSR -- than in prior years where there was less sales activity. Not to mention that the logorhytms they likely use for calculating optimal point spreading for partially declared resorts are surely complicated.

It's incredibly frustrating for us, but my guess is that there is someone in DVC whose basic attitude that so long as the charts come out before the first 11 month window opens (February 1, 2010), it's no big deal. I think that's a fairly unsophisticated view of how some of us manage our points into the future, but, nevertheless, I bet that's their view.

From DVC's perspective, I can see why they would want to wait as long as possible. They currently have at least some reservation data up through November 24, 2010. Every day that goes by is another day of information about 2010. By delaying until January, they can get data through most of 2010. Plus, every day they wait is another day to get more purchasing data on the resorts. I would think that points allocation is considerably more complicated in an environment where there are several million points in developer inventory to be sold as there are right now -- BLT, VGC, AKV, SSR -- than in prior years where there was less sales activity. Not to mention that the logorhytms they likely use for calculating optimal point spreading for partially declared resorts are surely complicated.

It's incredibly frustrating for us, but my guess is that there is someone in DVC whose basic attitude that so long as the charts come out before the first 11 month window opens (February 1, 2010), it's no big deal. I think that's a fairly unsophisticated view of how some of us manage our points into the future, but, nevertheless, I bet that's their view.

Doesn't the window actually open January 26th, for January 1st, 2011, given that we can reserve up to 7 nights? You could call January 26 and reserve December 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 and January 1.

Doesn't the window actually open January 26th, for January 1st, 2011, given that we can reserve up to 7 nights? You could call January 26 and reserve December 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 and January 1.

Yup -- right. Good point. I would think that needs to be the absolute latest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter