• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

E-pass transponder not working

emilymad

DIS Veteran
Is there anyway to check that your E-pass transponder is working? We had purchased one for our trip last year. Worked completely fine the entire trip. We traveled in November and it wouldn't pick up the transponder. I ended up not using it for the rest of the trip and paid the extra fee through the rental company for that one toll. We have a trip in March and I would love to be able to check to see if there is something wrong with my transponder.

I have tried to reach out to E-pass customer service but I am not having much luck so far.

Is there anyway to check that your E-pass transponder is working? We had purchased one for our trip last year. Worked completely fine the entire trip. We traveled in November and it wouldn't pick up the transponder. I ended up not using it for the rest of the trip and paid the extra fee through the rental company for that one toll. We have a trip in March and I would love to be able to check to see if there is something wrong with my transponder.

I have tried to reach out to E-pass customer service but I am not having much luck so far.
I don’t have E-pass but have sun pass. I’m not sure if they can tell it’s working other than going onto your account and see if it hits at the readers.
If it’s not hitting and it is in the proper position, I would say it’s not working.
I wouldn’t trust a car rental company as far as I could throw the car. If you haven’t done already, make sure it’s not on your account and the rental company charging you. I was charged one time for a toll and wasn’t even near that area. They wanted me to prove it, no problem, i Have a gas receipt from 200 miles away about a half hour when you claim I was running a toll. Send me the picture of the car with my bald head driving and I’ll pay it.
They gave me my money back and I will never use them again.

Could you use the Visitor Toll Pass for your trip next month?
If the transponder isn't reading properly, the issuing agency should replace it at no cost to you. That is what Illinois does if there is an issue with one of their I-Passes.

Almost every lane including those with attendants(in FL) you can use your transponder. What I usually do is go to one of those lanes and see if my transponder is recognized if not then just pay the person or deposit your change. Then go can just go get another battery or transponder at a e-pass center.

Almost every lane including those with attendants(in FL) you can use your transponder. What I usually do is go to one of those lanes and see if my transponder is recognized if not then just pay the person or deposit your change. Then go can just go get another battery or transponder at a e-pass center.

I didn't realize this is possible. Great suggestion! My transponder is only maybe a year old so I don't think it should be dead yet but I guess you never know.

How do you know it doesn't work? Our transponder is 4(?) years old and still working fine. We drive through the transponder lanes and a couple days later, the charge appears on our account.

There is no immediate indication that the transponder worked.

We also put the license plate/description into the ePass system as a fallback

How do you know it doesn't work? Our transponder is 4(?) years old and still working fine. We drive through the transponder lanes and a couple days later, the charge appears on our account.

There is no immediate indication that the transponder worked.

We also put the license plate/description into the ePass system as a fallback

We knew because the charge never appeared on our account but we knew we went through the E-pass lane. We went back to just paying tolls in cash after that.

Sometimes the tolls take a day or two to hit my SunPass account. Certain tolls go through right away, but others definitely take a day or two.

Sometimes the tolls take a day or two to hit my SunPass account. Certain tolls go through right away, but others definitely take a day or two.

I can't say for sure, but it's probably similar to the situation when I had EZ-Pass in New Jersey. NJ tolls (NJ Turnpike, GS Parkway) showed up on my account by the end of the day. Tolls from other authorities (PANYNJ for the Hudson river bridges/tunnels, NY thruway authority, etc.) usually took a day or two extra to show up from the other systems. In the Orlando area, there are tolls operated by FDOT (SunPass) and tolls operated by CFXWay (EPass). (Sometimes both authorities on the same road, I'm given to understand.) The systems interoperate, but it takes time.

I can't say for sure, but it's probably similar to the situation when I had EZ-Pass in New Jersey. NJ tolls (NJ Turnpike, GS Parkway) showed up on my account by the end of the day. Tolls from other authorities (PANYNJ for the Hudson river bridges/tunnels, NY thruway authority, etc.) usually took a day or two extra to show up from the other systems. In the Orlando area, there are tolls operated by FDOT (SunPass) and tolls operated by CFXWay (EPass). (Sometimes both authorities on the same road, I'm given to understand.) The systems interoperate, but it takes time.
Exactly. The CFXWay tolls usually take a day or two to post, as I have a SunPass, whereas the FDOT ones usually post immediately.

I had to exchange them all at one point (through the mail) at their request. I believe it was a battery replacement thing, but don’t recall for sure.

I also think that looking at your statement might give a clue as to whether they are working. Some lines show the transponder number while others have the vehicle license plate instead. I assume the license plate ones mean it was not successfully read and they had to use the license to match the charge to my account. But was it my transponder or the reader? Since it only happens occasionally I assume it is their reader!

Sunpass allows you to register your rental car in their system so if you go through a toll it will charge it to your account before it hits the car rental agency. Does E-Pass do something similar?

We knew because the charge never appeared on our account but we knew we went through the E-pass lane. We went back to just paying tolls in cash after that.
Just one time? I could have been any number of things, not just a non-working transponder.

How does expass do something similar? They only sell stickers don't they?

ETA - Nevermind, I realized it's Peachpass that only has a sticker. GA accepts the EZPass system but they don't offer a transponder through their system. I got it confused

How does expass do something similar? They only sell stickers don't they?
Sunpass sells stickers (Sunpass Mini) or the actual transponder (Sunpass Portable). The transponder has suction cups and can be moved from car to car. Portable can only be used on one car and I beleive is destroyed if it gets removed.

Sunpass sells stickers (Sunpass Mini) or the actual transponder (Sunpass Portable). The transponder has suction cups and can be moved from car to car. Portable can only be used on one car and I beleive is destroyed if it gets removed.
That wasn't my question though. I know Sunpass has the transponder, that's what I have.
I was asking about EZPass. But got it confused with PeachPass, which does not have a transponder. GA accepts the EZPass and I got mixed up with their product names

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter