Eating Meals In Your Villa--The VGF Deluxe vs. Resort Studio Controversy

How much fixing meals and eating in does your family do?

• All or nearly all meals

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Most but not all meals

Votes: 37 16.8%
  • Some but more eaten out

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Few to none, though we want a microwave for leftovers or snacks

Votes: 65 29.5%
  • No in-villa eating considered a meal

Votes: 27 12.3%
  • Few to none

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters

Her Dotness

DIS Veteran
I'd like to get a better sense of how much "must have kitchenette" actually governs the choice of the VGF deluxe studio over the resort one.

For instance, it's just me and DH. We've never fixed meals in our studio except once when we had Cali Grill leftovers and couldn't think of anywhere we wanted to eat out.

That's largely because we'll glom onto the Deluxe dining plan again once it's offered and thus could easily stay in a resort studio, fixing and eating nothing in our villa.

With no dining plan, we might do more eating in, particularly since we'll be staying in 1 bedrooms henceforth.

What are your eating-in habits? Your family makeup? How important is a kitchenette to you?

ETA: A 6/20/22 guest in a RS reported that the BPK manager said there ARE to be microwaves in each studio. They're on backorder, though.

Thread here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...day-at-the-vgf-dvc-that-opened-today.3887226/

Last edited:
We have only had one DVC visit so far and we did TONS of character meals so the girls could see them. Going forward the plan is to cook a lot of meals while they are young (6 and 2). Easier than trying to get DD2 to eat and sit still.

As they get older I imagine it will change to more sit down meals. But we almost always will do breakfast in the room.

We have stayed DVC numerous times and have never "cooked" anything in the room. We usually buy simple breakfast foods - muffins, bagels - and eat something quick before we head out. But that's about it. We buy water and snacks for other times during the day. No real food for cooking.

We need a real refrigerator (not this “beverage cooler” garbage) and a microwave for leftovers.

That means the Resort Studios are not for us!

And, as predicted, it’s already harder to book a Deluxe Studio than a Resort Studio at 7+ months despite the Resort Studio being the shinny new toy.

I don’t think we have ever used the Disney stove, but we will make toast and use the microwave to reheat leftovers. I also like having simple things like yogurt or fruit onhand to go along with our anytime snacks. So while for us a full blown kitchen probably isn’t needed we definitely use our kitchen.

We also like the extra space of having a 1-2 bedroom instead of just the studio. It makes a huge difference.

We visit three weeks per year as DVC members. For us the kitchenette is important as we mostly eat breakfasts in the room and sometimes lunch sandwiches. For us, it's not so much the full kitchen that we will miss in the Resort Studios, it's the proper mini-fridge (we have full mini fridge worth of groceries to keep cool) plus the toaster and microwave. So it is a factor for us. We may request/buy a $10 toaster if we ever stay in the new studios. But the beverage cooler is not equal to a mini fridge, so that is a pain point for us. Sometimes we do a split stay with Disney Vero Beach (three nights DVB and four nights GFV). We may try the Resort Studios on one of those because we won't have a full week's worth of groceries requiring a kitchenette. We'll still buy a WalMart toaster for that stay though (if they don't offer them on request).

When we're in one and two bedrooms we occasionally use the stove top and oven for grilled cheese, chicken wings etc. Sometimes we'll use the resort grills for steak and lobster or burgers if we have a family visit with a few rooms. So we do use the appliances, but not as much as the countertop micro, toaster, kettle etc.

We never do any cooking. We never save any leftovers. So no kitchenette doesn't matter to us.

HOWEVER!!!!!

The beverage cooler is a joke. Can't keep milk, yogurt, cream for coffee, nothing. And there is no justifiable reason for it. Not cost, or size or anything. It makes literally no sense.

If I eat in my room it's because I brought food back with me. I actually think I've only used the microwave to re-heat my coffee! We are new to DVC, but even when I suggested we could stay in a 1-bedroom in Aulani to cut down on food costs, my DH responded that he's not cooking on vacation. I'm sure we would feel different if we stayed longer than 4-6 nights per trip or we had children or a larger party with us. I love the idea a few posts up of using the resort grills with a larger party!

I like the idea of resort studios because of the additional suitable sleeping surfaces, but I wish they were point-priced more in-line with BLT as opposed to the deluxe studios at VGF because of the loss of the kitchenette.

I'd like to get a better sense of how much "must have kitchenette" actually governs the choice of the VGF deluxe studio over the resort one.

For instance, it's just me and DH. We've never fixed meals in our studio except once when we had Cali Grill leftovers and couldn't think of anywhere we wanted to eat out.

That's largely because we'll glom onto the Deluxe dining plan again once it's offered and thus could easily stay in a resort studio, fixing and eating nothing in our villa.

With no dining plan, we might do more eating in, particularly since we'll be staying in 1 bedrooms henceforth.

What are your eating-in habits? Your family makeup? How important is a kitchenette to you?
I always book a 1 bedroom even if it's just DH and I. I make breakfast and sometimes easy lunch in the villa. We utilize the stove and oven. I'll even pop easy lunch/dinner in the oven, have salads, steamed veggies etc. We will even cut up fruits and make fruit bowls.

We do have sit down meal daily at the parks, sometimes QS depending on our day. Having the opportunity to make meals in the villa, I have more control in trying to eat healthier. Sometimes our body craves the veggies/salads and fruits. It works for us, even our adult boys doesn't complain. Plus they love knowing they can pop pizza in the oven for their late night meals.

We usually eat breakfast in our room in the morning, and an occasional lunch. Nice to have the option, especially since DME is gone and we are renting a car to get to WDW now.

But the laundry access in a 1 & 2 bedroom is more important for use with 3 kids.

We need a real refrigerator (not this “beverage cooler” garbage) and a microwave for leftovers.

That means the Resort Studios are not for us!

And, as predicted, it’s already harder to book a Deluxe Studio than a Resort Studio at 7+ months despite the Resort Studio being the shinny new toy.
Well there are a lot more like a lot more resort studios than deluxe studios. So that is easily expected. Right now there isn’t too much demand at 11 months. Unlike CCV and RIV standard studio and closet studios.

I have never used the kitchen other than to make a bagel or toast and reheat leftovers. We use the fridge for drinks and leftovers. It’s my vacation and I’m not cooking or doing dishes. Our longest trip has been 9 nights and only once in a studio. We make one, sometimes 2, Disney trips per year using mostly 2 bedrooms. When we travel it’s me, husband, son (17) and daughter (7). Many times one or both of my parents tag along (75). They definitely aren’t cooking. A friend of mine has a relative who travels with a hot plate and a suitcase of frozen food...so I think it can swing either way.

We cook in room a lot due to food allergies. We need the microwave and mini fridge at the least, but usually book a 1 bedroom or larger for the kitchen. Disney is good with food allergies, but we are more comfortable cooking ourselves.

We always do breakfast in the room. And as breakfast is often eggs/pancakes/french toast - actually a cooked breakfast - and not a bagel in a toaster or a bowl of cereal, we want a full kitchen. It was one of the surprises for me with DVC - I thought I'd see the kitchen as a prop and never use it - turns out, at Disney I'm up early enough and the kids moved somewhat later so that I could get eggs or pancakes into them - and we could still all hit rope drop. And that full breakfast keeps us going to lunch.

We seldom use it for leftovers or other meals.

I also make far more use of the washer dryer than I thought I would when we bought.

And the exception to no dinners is Aulani (but not Hilton Head). We were at Aulani in January when parts were still Covid impacted. There really aren't sufficient restaurants on site for the occupancy - or even enough restaurants a close walk away (there are some, just not a lot) - and food is really expensive on the island - stacking Disney prices on top of already high Hawaii costs can give you sticker shock. Cooking is necessary for variety - or being able to drive closer to Honolulu. Hilton Head we always have dinner out - there are a lot of great places on the island - but usually do lunch in the room.

Not DVC, but we always book a 1 or 2BR as a cash reservation (for what we end up paying we should buy DVC but I don't want to deal with the booking hassle as we normally stay 10 - 14 nights at a time). We rarely use the full kitchen for meals, though with two teenage boys, they are always hungry so they will sometimes cook mac and cheese at 1am! What I like best is the washer/dryer in unit and the space that is not a bedroom for when family in the area stops by. The full refrigerator is nice, we will buy fruits and some breakfast items. And Publix subs!!!

We use the kitchenette a lot. We make eggs, bagels, English muffin in the morning and for lunch (or late night snacks) the kids will make Mac n cheese cups. We also have a small waffle maker in our owner locker that the kids use to make quesadillas (haven't got around to making waffles in it yet) . We never make dinner, but definitely use it for breakfast and lunch.

We don’t ever cook, but we do breakfast and snacks all the time.

So having the full compliments of the deluxe studio is big deal.

For me, to be honest: the loss is the full coffee maker and toaster are probably a bigger deal than the microwave.

In terms of dining plan, we didn’t do them except occasionally with friends when it was just easier for them to budget. But even the , it was QS plan which invoked a lot of leftovers for the 3rd meal which used the fridge and microwave.

Last edited:

Like you. it's just me and DH. We've always had a 1 BR, use the microwave only to reheat mobile orders (if they're not warm enough by the time we get back up to the room), reheat leftovers, or make tea. I stay in studios on my solo trips, and like others, hate the idea a beverage cooler. I love yogurt parfaits for breakfast, and frequently buy one the night beforehand (either at the resort QS or Les Halles Bakery). Also, like when I'm with DH, I'm reheating left overs or making tea.

Well there are a lot more like a lot more resort studios than deluxe studios. So that is easily expected. Right now there isn’t too much demand at 11 months. Unlike CCV and RIV standard studio and closet studios.
That is true but what they didn’t go like hotcakes and so those that want deluxe are going to need to book asap like before.

But I’d did get shut out of them for February when I decided to change things around 9 months…and I only needed the one night. Could get resort studios if needed.

I think it’s good news though who want the location but don’t own there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter