• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV and Valet parking at Resorts?

TurnR@TheMouseHouse

Mouseketeer
We plan to use valet parking at Resorts we will be dining at. Do the Valet parkers help with ECV in the trunk? Do they help put it back together or sit it off to the side?

We stayed Consierier at the BC last Nov we had an ECV for my husband he had just had foot surgery 1 1/2 months earlier and was told by dr. not to walk long distances - We used Randys...and all the time the Valet helped us remove or put it in if I was having trouble helping they would always try and help best they could. :goodvibes We also tipped extra for the help.

If they are not busy they will try to help, but they are not obligated to. If they are busy they will slide it off to the side and you'll have to deal with it.

Perhaps you could rent a manual wheelchair as well as the ECV to use when you are going to dinner to avoid the possibility that you'll run into a problem.

Anne

When we have valet parked, we've almost always been offerd help to get DD's wheelchair in and out of the back of our van (even though we can easily handle it). The CMs actually usually look disappointed if we refuse.
So, I'd expect that most of the time, it won't be a problem. They may be busy, as ducklite mentioned, but if you smile and let them know you need help, it should work out most of the time.

My policy with the valet parking is I will normally tip either $1 or $2, both coming in and going out (depending on the weather) if I am not using my ECV. Usually if I am just going into one of the Deluxe's for a meal or shopping I will not use the ECV. If staying, or then continuing to a park, I will need the ECV.

If I am using the ECV and one of the valets removes it from the trunk and puts it together, or disassembles it and puts it in the trunk I will then tip $5. However, if I have the ECV and get no assistance I then will not tip and usually will find a supervisor to discuss the matter with.

SueM in MN said:
When we have valet parked, we've almost always been offerd help to get DD's wheelchair in and out of the back of our van (even though we can easily handle it). The CMs actually usually look disappointed if we refuse.
So, I'd expect that most of the time, it won't be a problem. They may be busy, as ducklite mentioned, but if you smile and let them know you need help, it should work out most of the time.

SueM--I'm sure they'll help get the ECV out--but the OP asked about reassembling it as well, and that's where they might draw the line, even if they aren't busy.

Anne

Cheshire Figment said:
My policy with the valet parking is I will normally tip either $1 or $2, both coming in and going out (depending on the weather) if I am not using my ECV. Usually if I am just going into one of the Deluxe's for a meal or shopping I will not use the ECV. If staying, or then continuing to a park, I will need the ECV.

If I am using the ECV and one of the valets removes it from the trunk and puts it together, or disassembles it and puts it in the trunk I will then tip $5. However, if I have the ECV and get no assistance I then will not tip and usually will find a supervisor to discuss the matter with.

I'm not sure I understand your comments. While I can see that they should help remove it from the trunk, I'm not sure that it is their responsibility to assemble it for you. It's possible that some might not even know how to do so, and in trying could damage it.

Anne

ducklite said:
SueM--I'm sure they'll help get the ECV out--but the OP asked about reassembling it as well, and that's where they might draw the line, even if they aren't busy.

Anne
You're right. I missed the assembly part and was thinking they were asking about just geeting it in and out.

Thanks for the replies.

I am not really concerned about them doing the assembly part, my brother and I can handle that. I was just curious about other's experiences. My father handles things better when I can tell him what to expect. This is first time using an ECV and he feels a little apprehensive. So just trying to reassure him where I can. Tipping is just a given for us.

:wave:

Cheshire Figment said:

Why would a valet get 'tattled on' for not hauling out an ECV? I could be a valet, since I have a driver's license, but I'm not physically strong enough to haul out an ECV from a trunk, nor do I have the mechanical skill to assemble it. Unless valets are only hired if they can lift a certain amount of weight, etc, and are tested on the assembly of an ECV, I'd say it would be a kindness from them to help, and most would be willing to do it. On the other hand, one could have a bad back, etc, and not be able to help you.

Possibly I should have clarified that if I am not offered assistance is when I will complain. It is just the same as when arriving to check in I would expect to have the valet offer to remove my luggage from the trunk.

Cheshire Figment said:
Possibly I should have clarified that if I am not offered assistance is when I will complain. It is just the same as when arriving to check in I would expect to have the valet offer to remove my luggage from the trunk.

Here's where you are mistaken--the valet is not the one removing luggage--that is someone from bell services. So to complain that a valet isn't doing something that simply isn't their job, and refusing to tip them for something that they aren't supposed to be doing to begin with is ridiculous.

Valet's drive cars. Bell services empty trunks. Both should be tipped accordingly.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter