• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV but able to do wild rides?

OCDPlanner

Earning My Ears
I feel kind of bad even asking this question but would rather know what to expect in advance.

I have fibromyalgia which is a musclar condition. I am planning to try and walk while in the parks but I'm afraid that after a few days I may get too cramped up and have to rent an ECV to move from ride to ride (and avoid having to "STAND" in line. Standing for long periods can be very painful.)

Can I stay in my ECV in the regular lines (not intending to use it to skip people)? And...will I be allowed to go on the roller coasters and other "wild" rides if I enter the boarding areas in an ECV? Would I need a special note from my doctor or anything?

Thanks so much!
Kassie

You will be able to stay in your ECV in almost every line until you reach the attaction itself. Some of the rides they will move the ECV to the exit area (take your key, they can put it in "freewheel"),

There are some attractions where you must use a special route. Some you have to transfer to a wheelchair (which they will provide) because an ECV cannot manage (due to size) but a wheelchair can.

There are no restrictions placed BY THE PARK on an individual's choice whether or not to ride an attraction. Just be aware that some have warnings posted, and you are aware that it is at your own risk. Under ADA they cannot stop you from any attraction; however if it is not possible for you to board unassisted the CMs are not permitted to give you any assistance. Most continuous load attractions (such as Spaceship Earth) cqan even be stopped to allow a disabled person to board or exit; there are others (such as Peter Pan) which cannot be stopped.

Originally posted by OCDPlanner
Can I stay in my ECV in the regular lines (not intending to use it to skip people)? And...will I be allowed to go on the roller coasters and other "wild" rides if I enter the boarding areas in an ECV? Would I need a special note from my doctor or anything?

Thanks so much!
Kassie

Wherever possible ECVs go through the regular lines just like everyone else.

If the regular line is too narrow or too twisty for ECVs, you can still ride your ECV right up to the ride, but will enter a different way. Depending on the ride this might be the ride exit door or the fastpass line. On one ride I was told to enter the regular line in my powerchair, then enter a 'holding' area at the first bend in the line. I was then put back into the line at the last bend (on the other side of the 'holding pen') when my place in the line caught up with me.

You will have no problem getting to the ride or the show, though you might miss the pre-show occasionally.

I have never used a 'General Assistance Pass' nor have I been asked for a doctor's note.

Andrew

Just wanted to add, my DD is multiply disabled, can't walk or stand by herself. She is also a daredevil and has been on everything except Space Mountain, BTMRR and Rock N Roller Coaster. As the others said, it's up to you to decide which rides are not appropriate for you to go on. It is important though, to keep the warning signs in mind and some people will need to get more information than is on the warning signs before going on.

Forgot to add,
there is a little icon on the park maps that let you know whether or not you cans tay in the ecv for the whole wait in line. One icon is a wheelchair symbol, which means the whole line and attraction are wheelchair (and ecv0 accessible). Another icon shows a person getting up from an ecv and getting into a wheelchair. These are the rides that the other posters mentioned might have twisty lines or some other reason an ecv won't work. If you need to switch to a manual wheelchair at the entrance, they will usually have several on hand. The last icon shows a person standing up from a wheelchair. That one means that a transfer into a ride car is necessary to experience the attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter