ECV in a regular room

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
Hey all,
my mom had hip surgery a little while ago and the healing is not going as well as she'd like, so she is going to get an ECV for our cruise.

It's in february and paid off, rooms carefully selected a year in advance etc. Will she be able to fit this thing in a standard verandah room? We have connecting rooms and it's just my parents in their room, not trying to fit 4 people into it.

is this going to be a "thing" where I have to try to deal with disney on an accessible room maybe connecting to our room or can they just fit it in the regular room, even if it's a bit cramped.

Thanks

I don't think the ECV will fit in the room (it may be too wide for the doorway), but there should be an area for ECV parking somewhere on your deck. It's not wise to leave it directly outside your door since it will block the already narrow hallways.

I don't think the ECV will fit in the room (it may be too wide for the doorway), but there should be an area for ECV parking somewhere on your deck. It's not wise to leave it directly outside your door since it will block the already narrow hallways.
there is apparently a place to park it on deck 2 but that's not very convenient if we're up on deck 8 and my mom can't walk very far!

The parking/charging areas for ECV''s is deck 2 on the Fantasy and Dream and deck 6 for the Wonder and Magic if you
don't have a hc cabin. As stated above the ECV will not fit in a regular cabin ...
I've seen manual DCL wheelchairs in the parking area but there is no guarantee that there will be one when you go to
park moms ecv. Some families bring the ecv user to the cabin, then take the ECV to the parking area overnight.

Sorry your mom isn't healing well.

Some personal ECVs are narrow and may fit through a standard stateroom door. A rental may fit if it doesn't have arm rests, but I believe most rentals are too wide at the base. Standard stateroom doors are 27" and I believe you lose a bit of that to the framing so it's more like 25.5" wide; HA rooms are at least 32" wide. Will your mom be able to handle the bathroom and shower in a regular stateroom? You can request a shower bench if needed.

You could check with DCL if they have a comparable (category) HA stateroom available. Consider it a bonus if it connects; I'm not sure if there are connecting HA rooms -- possibly, I haven't perused the deck plans that well.

If you stick with the regular stateroom, you and/or dad can help by taking the ECV to park after mom returns to the room, and running to get it when she's ready to leave the room.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just off the Dream. Folks on our floor kept their ECV in the hallway in spite of notices placed on it saying not to leave it in the hall.

I can see that it is a tripping hazard and was surprised that it stayed there.

if anyone is curious about this, I did find a compact rental that can also be disassembled from scootaround. It's 20"W in the base and the seat comes off if necessary (i think it completely disassembles). It is said to be good for cruises because it is more maneuverable. They say the doors on the dream are 23"W so a 20"W base should fit through even with the framing and door and hopefully can maneuver around the bed to the part of the stateroom with more room. Typical scooters are over 22"W which would not fit through a 23" door.

We are staying on deck 8 forward so scooter parking is about as far from where we are as you can get (deck 2 aft). The other option is we'll get her a wheelchair and just have to push her since it will fold and can be more easily tucked somewhere. she won't be going anywhere alone anyway most likely. She can walk some just not very far or for very long.

there is nothing HA accessible. Some on the Dream do connect but nothing available on our sailing period, let alone connecting.

Can you get the scooter to park on deck 2 and use on excursions and when you know you'll be out and about, then a wheelchair for shorter treks that will get you from deck 2 to your room? Or is that too much of a hassle?

Can you get the scooter to park on deck 2 and use on excursions and when you know you'll be out and about, then a wheelchair for shorter treks that will get you from deck 2 to your room? Or is that too much of a hassle?
I suggested that but if we go with wheelchair she'll probably just do wheelchair. we (son and I) are snorkeling off a small boat in Nassau but they won't be able to go, my dad might just push her around the straw market while we snorkel.

Last edited:
My dad uses an ECV and we have to book a HA cabin when we cruise for it to fit. A few years ago when we took my grandfather on the Dream, there was no HA cabin available. We parked it in the elevator lobby and weren’t discouraged from doing so. Not really best to do that, though. Kids crawled all over it and some CMs tried to encourage us to park it at guest services. But that really defeats the purpose of an ECV for mobility problems and really inconvenient for the family. Frankly, to make it easier on you and your mother, I would call DCL and arrange for a HA cabin.

HC cabins sell out a year in advance for popular sailings. We have to have a HC bathroom for DH so I always book on close to opening day. I tried to get a HC
cabin for Feb 2019 WBPC and HC cabins were already sold out on day 1.
We are experienced DCL cruisers and you used to have to fill out a request for HC cabins but now they just allow anyone to book them and they go fast.

HC cabins sell out a year in advance for popular sailings. We have to have a HC bathroom for DH so I always book on close to opening day. I tried to get a HC
cabin for Feb 2019 WBPC and HC cabins were already sold out on day 1.
We are experienced DCL cruisers and you used to have to fill out a request for HC cabins but now they just allow anyone to book them and they go fast.

That's kind of sucky for those who need them! We'll make do one way or another because we don't really need it, my mom can walk short distances (but not from one end of the ship to the other). It would be bad if she needed to get the ECV in the room... but we can live without doing that.

we stored it on deck 2 in the restaraunt every night on our last fantasy trip. then in the morning someone from the cabin went down and got it. that was the storage area. on the magic and wonder it's on deck 6 near the elevator. they didn't let us keep it in the lobby we had to store it. we are going next year on the fantasy in december and they didn't have a HC concierge so i guess we will have to store it again. they take up too much space in the hallways and people can't get through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter