ECV use on Family Magic Tour?

postalone

Earning My Ears
Can someone in an ECV do the Family Magic Tour? They are able to walk a few steps to get on and off rides.... I have never done this tour and didn't know what was involved as far as mobility goes!

Nancy

They should be able to. I've done the Keys to the Kingdom tour and the UnDiscovered Future World tours in an ECV, and except for one flight of stairs in the latter, everything was accessible. And, well, okay, we might have missed one ride on the KttK tour, but because I didn't realize it and the guide didn't know I could transfer.

For any of the tours, let the CMs know when you make your reservation. That way, they can plan for your needs ahead of time.

I have taken almost every tour at one time or another. Generally they are fully accessible. If you are having an ECV with you make sure they know in advance. One time I was on a tour where four people had ECVs, and they had a van travel with us in addition to the bus.

On a few of the tours, to speed things up they will ask if you can do bus stairs. In that instance usually the drive and one of the guide will put the ECV in the bus' luggage compartment which is much faster than using the lift.

Thanks for this post. We are visiting Disneyland next month and plan to do the "Discover the Magic" tour. Our daughter has moderate cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. She is young enough(7 years old, but small for her age) that we can carry her when needed, but I still was wondering how it would work out with her wheelchair. I'll talk to the CM when I call to make our reservations next week.

Thanks!

Amy

Please let us know how it worked.
The more people post things, the more (and better) answers we have.

We did the Family Magic Tour the week of Thanksgiving 2003 and one of the participants was using her ECV or scooter...not sure which is which, but hers was the sit down type with a small basket in front...two wheels in the back. As we chatted while waiting for the start of the tour, she mentioned she could walk for short periods, but the scooter made it easier. We had a great CM that modified as we went so that everyone was included in the fun...and from the looks of this Grandma's face (I know she was a grandma cause she was with her granddaughters) I'd say she had a blast! :cool1:

How did the CM modify the tour you might ask? Well, for instance, when we were trekking through the park, she made sure to find the ramps and easy access for the woman...no curbs or bumps. Also, when it came time for the woman to lead the group, she remained in her seat and danced in the chair like a ballerina...it was so much fun for her granddaughters and everyone. :cheer2:

I agree with a previous poster that a heads up to WDW when making the ressie might be helpful. You also might want to give a call the day before your tour to confirm that information and again upon check-in...it can never hurt.

If the CM or whomever you speak to says it can't be done, tell them phooey because it has been done!

Have a great time on the Family Magic Tour! It was one of our greatest memories from WDW...DS had his "first date" with Wendy on Peter Pan's Flight... :blush:

momsgoofy said:
We did the Family Magic Tour the week of Thanksgiving 2003 and one of the participants was using her ECV or scooter...not sure which is which, but hers was the sit down type with a small basket in front...two wheels in the back.
scooter and ECV are both names for the same device - what you deccribed. Some have 2 wheels in the bacck and one in the front. Some have 2 wheels in the front and 2 in the back.

Thanks for the really complete explanation of the tour.

We did the family tour in June and there was one of the other guests in an ECV. The only time she got out of it was at one point when the kids (don't want to give too much away!!!! so I'll be vague) went into a building to do.... something.
;)
She didn't have to get out then, but chose to- so she could see!
I think anyone in an ECV can easily do this tour and still have just as much fun as everyone else!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter