Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

For Us, DVC got us into a 2 bedroom unit much cheaper than if we paid cash for 2 value bedrooms, so I think we are already ahead.

Luckly we purchased 50 points direct last August, which was painful, but since we were going in April 2018 and February 2019 we bough PAP's and will be saving $600 on tickets.

I think for large families the new direct purchases will start to look better, but I would still be worried that DVC would end the "perks".

I would bet all grandfathering is gone when the current blue cards expire.

I have not been a fan of any of these changes, and I am a direct owner. Every change devalues all owners potential resale value. Even though I have no intention of ever selling my contract (I'll pass it on to my kids if they want it), it's a nice option should something occur later in life.

I get other timeshares restrict resale buyers. Disney/DVC has always marketed themselves as different - perhaps they should stop doing that if they want to be like other timeshares.

Our 175 point poly contract deed got recorded last monday. Saw this post this morning and immediately started calling disney. Had to get my membership number and club ID. Finally jumped through those hoops and got over to a sales person. She actually had polynesian availability for my use year (april) so I was able to buy a 25 point direct add on right away (i definitely thought i would get waitlisted!). She says they are fedex ing closing documents and I should get them in the next day or two and wont have any problem closing before the feb 24th deadline. I'm still nervous something is gonna fall through along the way, but I really would like to have access to the membership extras even if they don't really make financial sense. 75 direct points is more than i really want to spend.

Our 175 point poly contract deed got recorded last monday. Saw this post this morning and immediately started calling disney. Had to get my membership number and club ID. Finally jumped through those hoops and got over to a sales person. She actually had polynesian availability for my use year (april) so I was able to buy a 25 point direct add on right away (i definitely thought i would get waitlisted!). She says they are fedex ing closing documents and I should get them in the next day or two and wont have any problem closing before the feb 24th deadline. I'm still nervous something is gonna fall through along the way, but I really would like to have access to the membership extras even if they don't really make financial sense. 75 direct points is more than i really want to spend.

Nice!! I'm glad they still had your UY available. Oct UY was completely gone in everything but CCV and AUL when I called yesterday. We had been planning a 25pt Poly add-on (our Poly contract is in ROFR right now). I ended up adding 50pts today at CCV, but only because I was on the fence about adding on there instead of Poly (I LOVE WL!).

Disney/DVC greed is getting to be over the top. Increasing vacation cost while not maintaining the system is a chump move. So sad. :sad2:

:earsboy: Bill
I'm in total agreement here. I get the whole "for-profit company" thing, but at some point it goes too far. I know how to read an annual report. Quite frankly, it's starting to become a little insulting watching Disney rake in BILLIONS in profits while instances of run-down facilities, removal of various "plussing" elements, low quality merchandise at ridiculously high prices, etc. are becoming more and more frequent.

At some point customers are going to be unable to suspend their disbelief and that will lead to a backlash, and potentially lower profits. You can sheer a sheep many times but skin it only once. Disney is walking that fine line between sheering and skinning its customers.

I completely agree. Not a good change. It’s not like my pre-April 2016 contract or someone’s direct contract is more valuable on the resale market now than it was before. The perks don’t transfer with it if I sell it to someone else. It’s a kick in the teeth to the resale market which devalues all ownership, direct and otherwise. How big of a kick? Only time will tell.

I recall all the "chicken littles" who claimed that resale prices would crash through the floor after Disney announced the 4/16 change. Immediately after the change, there were a few contracts that came out $5 or $10 per point cheaper than 4/16. However, within a month, prices were right back where they began. Since then, resale prices have risen about 40%.

I doubt we will see any change in resale prices whatsoever. 75 is the "new normal" for perks. What we will see is that the hybrid approach (buy the bulk of points resale and a 25 add-on to get the perks) will pretty much disappear. The math doesn't really work for most people to justify the premium paid for 75 direct points on the basis of AP discounts, the epcot lounge, and MM. People will still buy small contracts, but only because small contracts in the resale market and small contracts as an add-on direct are close in price factoring in closing costs, and only because they need a small number of additional points.

I'm in total agreement here. I get the whole "for-profit company" thing, but at some point it goes too far. I know how to read an annual report. Quite frankly, it's starting to become a little insulting watching Disney rake in BILLIONS in profits while instances of run-down facilities, removal of various "plussing" elements, low quality merchandise at ridiculously high prices, etc. are becoming more and more frequent.

At some point customers are going to be unable to suspend their disbelief and that will lead to a backlash, and potentially lower profits. You can sheer a sheep many times but skin it only once. Disney is walking that fine line between sheering and skinning its customers.

Once they get there, they will back off, invest where needed, and keep on going. As things stand right now, they are literally trying to keep people out of their parks by pricing them out. Nothing is working to keep people from coming, so why not charge them more? If you made the tastiest cookies ever and sold them out every day for $3 each, why not charge $4.50? As for your opinion that things are falling apart (I personally agree with you in many areas of the parks, especially the monorail), until the majority of people agree, it is not an issue for them.

If I were starting the process this summer, I would go into knowing that I could go one of two routes - all resale or a hybrid route. People looking for smaller contracts could also go all direct. Taking 175 points at BLT as an example, I could either go all resale at about $135 a point for just under $24,000, or buy 100 points at $140 a point at 75 direct at $191 a point. That would come out to about $5000 more.

That works if you’re looking for 200 plus points overall.

If you’re looking for 100 or less, you’re stuck with direct for all of them, if you want perks.

But those in between 100 and 200 (where most people should be starting out)?:

It’s too many points to justify buying all direct for perks.

It’s too few points to split them up and find a reasonable 50-125 point resale to match the 75 direct.

For the average 100-200 point need, the math no longer works for perks. These people are going to have to decide between no perks or no DVC at all.

This is me exactly. I was looking for 125-150 points at BLT. Was going to buy a 100 point resale and add-on 25 direct. Now....I don't know. Whole thing direct from Disney will cost me maybe $4000 more up front. Hybrid will be super hard as 50-75 point resale contracts are rarer and more expensive so if I'm paying 150/pt for the first 50 points and closing twice I may not even be saving much overall.

I really want the perks (attended a Moonlight Magic in January and it was great - and some years I'll buy an AP) - But Disney threw a huge monkey wrench into my buying plans with this announcement.

This is me exactly. I was looking for 125-150 points at BLT. Was going to buy a 100 point resale and add-on 25 direct. Now....I don't know. Whole thing direct from Disney will cost me maybe $4000 more up front. Hybrid will be super hard as 50-75 point resale contracts are rarer and more expensive so if I'm paying 150/pt for the first 50 points and closing twice I may not even be saving much overall.

I really want the perks (attended a Moonlight Magic in January and it was great - and some years I'll buy an AP) - But Disney threw a huge monkey wrench into my buying plans with this announcement.

I see what you are saying. After looking myself there aren't even many 50-75 point resale contracts available right now. Those that are available are very pricy. Even the 125 point contracts are pricy in my mind.
If the perks are very important to you, I would just try to buy 50 points direct now, and then find a 100 point contract that best suits your needs. Even if they are 2 separate UYs, you are making the most out of a bad situation.
For future buyers in your position, we will have to see how this affects the resale market before coming up with any best plan of action. I am sure Disney is hoping that enough people will just throw their hands up in the air and commit to buy all direct.

Yeah they put a major wrench in my plan twice now! In December I was waiting for my resale contract to close to add 25 pts at Poly. Which seemed like it wouldn't be a problem... until they announced the price increase! Then Poly sold out by the time my contract closed in mid/late January. Then I was like fine, I'll spend the extra $1,000+ to buy the 25pt add-on post-price increase, and now this announcement! Before all this, I was contemplating a 50pt CCV add-on instead, so it's fine for us, but it's crazy they had these two changes so close together!

I agree with you, hybrid for 150-175pts total probably won't save you enough to make the hassle worth it. 50pt resales are expensive per point and have high closing costs. I agree than buying 50pts direct now and adding 100pts resale is the best hybrid scenario. But I don't think if 50pts BLT will be available right now.

We were looking into buying a resale, but may wait now. But quick question - are the membership extra's that good or just ok?

We were looking into buying a resale, but may wait now. But quick question - are the membership extra's that good or just ok?
other people will chime in as I am still learning.. but from what I gather, you get 10% discounts on food, 20% retail and discounted Annual passes which I think is the biggest savings.... I am on the fence about if it is worth it for me.. I think its probably not but its the fear of regret that made me call and at lease try to see if they had 25 points in my uy and resort available.... I am still waiting to hear back....

Depends on who you are. I would lean towards "just ok", but if you are a large, young family who plan to use many APs, the savings can build up. Moonlight Magic looks pretty cool, but you have to plan a whole trip around it or just get lucky and its only a few nights a year.
The AP savings this year is $260 per ticket though. That's where things can really add up over 20 years with multiple tickets per year. That is, of course, assuming they continue that discount.

The MM events seem to be a nice perk where you would get exclusive access to a park after regular closing hours, but there's no guarantee one will be offered during the time you're at the World. AP discounts may or may not be beneficial to you depending on how often you visit. And discounts are nice but how nice again depends on how much you typically spend.

If it were me and I had to buy 75 points to get a few discounts and possibly access to MM, I probably wouldn't find it worthwhile. Others may find it to be a wonderful value based on their travel and spending habits.

Depends on who you are. I would lean towards "just ok", but if you are a large, young family who plan to use many APs, the savings can build up. Moonlight Magic looks pretty cool, but you have to plan a whole trip around it or just get lucky and its only a few nights a year.
The AP savings this year is $260 per ticket though. That's where things can really add up over 20 years with multiple tickets per year. That is, of course, assuming they continue that discount.
I am so confused about the AP savings. when I look it only seems like 100 bucks or so, what am i missing?

other people will chime in as I am still learning.. but from what I gather, you get 10% discounts on food, 20% retail and discounted Annual passes which I think is the biggest savings.... I am on the fence about if it is worth it for me.. I think its probably not but its the fear of regret that made me call and at lease try to see if they had 25 points in my uy and resort available.... I am still waiting to hear back....

I think the biggest "perk" is that you can get the Gold Annual Pass, which without a DVC or Florida residence you have to buy the Platinum AP. The price difference is $260 savings versus the general public price for a Platinum pass (Platinum Pass just went up quite a bit) but if you are traveling during holidays, the Gold Pass doesn't cover that anyways. And of course this only helps if you take 2 trips in a single year, as once a year trips getting an AP doesn't make sense. For a family of 4 say that could add up at almost $1000 a year. We've started planning our trips so we take 2 (or more) in a single 12 month period to take advantage of this.

Beyond that, you get 20% retail, 10% discount on some food locations as well. However, if you get an AP you get these same discounts, so to me the AP discount is the big one. You can also get 10% discounts using Disney Visa. I don't think a 10% savings off some food really would be enough to make the difference worth it.

For the cost of a 25 pt contract, IF you get APs regularly I could see that as worth it. For 75 points, now you are talking say $100 at SSR from $184 from Disney for CCV - that's $6400 difference for the points - would need to decide if it's worth it. And of course, there's always the risk they could end the discounted APs next year, and then you really never will get the return.

I am so confused about the AP savings. when I look it only seems like 100 bucks or so, what am i missing?

Comparing the price of a Platinum Pass vs DVC cost is only $100. However, as a DVC member you can get a gold pass - which is $260 less than the general public Platinum Pass. (See my last post.)

For me, they are good. I have older teens and one is already on the contract. I intend to add the other when she turns 18. We have already purchased 4 APs and I'm guessing my D and her BF will share an address soon enough, making that 5. By the end of the contract, who knows how many APs we'll be getting off of it.

I just attended a Moonlight Magic and it was way beyond "good".

We have been coming to WDW since the kids were little and are now starting to want to take advantage of some "different" things. Special events and tours and dining that we've not done before. Many of which will come with a discount now.

We took a quick trip and our DVC discount really added up. I did not plan around it, I guess we just got lucky. For example, we ate at Paradiso 37 and the discount there was 20%. I asked everywhere I went and there were discounts at places I wouldn't have expected. We have a Disney Visa, so there are some discounts with that, too, but like for some shopping, you have to spend I think $50 or more to get the discount. So, previously it was a pain in the butt, we'd all plan to buy our stuff on the last day of the trip as opposed to just buying things as we saw them. We have not activated our APs yet, so I don't really even know what the discounts on that are or how they compare.

The people I feel bad for is those who were planning to do a 25 point add on with their current resale contracts and are now suddenly having the rules changed on them. I get why Disney is doing it, but it must be very frustrating for them. I am glad to hear that same guides are doing their best to help some of these people out.
As for those who have not yet started the resale process, all that this does is change the equation in Disney's favor a bit more. I personally think it is a more fair than not change once all the dust settles.

I agree - those of us lucky enough to buy the 25 point add-on are grandfathered for the perks that I really care about - AP discounts and access to the even-more-expensive-than-usual member cruise (for which we would pay cash). And for buyers going forward who haven't bought in yet, it may tip the scales more in favor of buying direct. But for the people who were in the process of executing the +25 plan, it TRIPLES cost the direct add on part of the plan.

That works if you’re looking for 200 plus points overall.

If you’re looking for 100 or less, you’re stuck with direct for all of them, if you want perks.

But those in between 100 and 200 (where most people should be starting out)?:

It’s too many points to justify buying all direct for perks.

It’s too few points to split them up and find a reasonable 50-125 point resale to match the 75 direct.

For the average 100-200 point need, the math no longer works for perks. These people are going to have to decide between no perks or no DVC at all.

I could see someone who is in the 100-200 point range thinking that they can make DVC work for them, for now, by buying 75 points direct and then adding more later if they need. Also remember that while we here on the DIS tout paying cash for DVC, there are many, many who don't. The difference in monthly payments may not seem as painful to someone who was planning to finance the purchase anyway. (I haven't run the numbers).

I agree with this statement. It's easy to forget that you are not buying this for the perks - you are buying for the cheap hotel rates.

... But still, the cost combined with the quality of the resorts and the quality of my vacation is the reason to buy DVC and specifically DVC resale. NOT because you can go to a 3 hour after hours event once every 5 years that you happen to be there, or because you get $100 off an AP. It's important to remember these things when changes like this come along.

Totally agree with you here. (We started contemplating DVC as early as 2015 and I spent much of last year thinking, why didn't we just buy resale before 4/4/16?? ARGHH!!) It'll be an interesting few months to see how resale prices are affected (or not) - also interesting to see what (if anything) happens with the recent market "correction" and what happens with our economy. No doubt DVC has caused us to vacation differently already, and we haven't even stayed on our point yet!

I suspect (warning: armchair economics with no economics background here) Disney will probably not be inclined to ROFR small contracts because the profit potential just isn't there. So those prices will likely stay stable or go down *a little.* By raising the direct perks to 75 (while getting ready to open Riviera in a year), I think is also a message that they don't really wanna be in the business of selling their older resorts direct - it distracts from selling the new resorts in larger chunks and changing MORE people's Disney vacation habits. So I don't expect to see much change in ROFR patterns. Potentially resale prices may drop, but with new direct pricing so much higher, there should be room for sellers to make some $ if they decide to resell their contracts, and for Disney to maintain a floor by ROFR and still make some money selling those direct. They have nothing to gain by killing the resale market; they just want new-to-DVC buyers to be incentivized to buy direct. I have no doubt that there were many bean counters and models who were contemplating whether the minimum should be 50, 75 or 100 points.

As for us: we bought 160+25 BLT and 200 VGF in the last 11 months, at a total cost of about $50,000. (OMG don't let DH see this total...!! lol). We haven't even stayed on our points yet. Disney got almost $5000 in our direct purchase. We bought 2x3 PAPs for about $3600 that will cover us for 4 trips from August 2017-sometime in 2019. In those 4 trips, we will spend/have spent several thousand $ in meals, souvenirs, incidentals. It's crazy seeing how much we have spent on Disney already in the last 12 months. We likely only would have gone once a year (if that) if we hadn't bought DVC. We are already close to "making up" the $5000 spent on the direct 25 points, because of the 6 PAPs - that's about $1500 and next time we'll "save" $1000 once DD2 is 3. But if we were in the position now of having to decide whether 75 points direct is worth it, we would hold off and see if "Riviera is awesome" enough to make it worth getting 75-100 points direct there - in 2019 or 2020 or later, and if our current points are enough for our now-changed vacation styles.

But even with that first resale purchase, Disney was getting a family of 4 that was going to be visiting the parks at least annually for the long term - our girls are young and into princesses so ... we might as well upgrade/maintain our vacation experience. Direct points and the membership extras were worth it for the small buy in.

@Bing Showei, your post cracked me up! I do think tiered member levels are coming, and this is a way to ease people into it. Maybe the first level starts at 100 points so the recent slew of 75-pointers (and 25-pointers like me) add on 25-75 points direct to "keep" the benefits we have come to depend on (like AP discounts). Under-100-pointers get 10% discounts and that is all. When that happens, we'll take another look at how we use DVC and see if it's worth it for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter