Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

They should load your points on immediately when you have paid the deposit - I am surprised they'd say it is the day it closed. The documents will arrive with you in the UK in about a week was my experience. Yes it is a pain you cannot just do it by email.

We haven’t been asked for a deposit.....

So much buzz... I had some thoughts. #1- 25 points really doesn't get you much of anything. For some resorts it is barely 1 night for a studio. Some ppl say its really 75pts every other year, but if you bank & borrow wouldn't that put you at every 3rd year once you burn the borrowed year ? (its every other year the 1st time you do it, then your in a 2yr timeout, no?) #2- You get 25 pts so you can buy the AP at a reduced benefit. But you have no points to stay on so I guess it only benefits those who live near Orlando. #3- there is an argument that ppl use, Why buy 25 pts at inflated resale prices when for only a few extra dollars you can buy direct. Thats the problem, there are no points available at many of the resorts direct (VGF, BCV, BWV, BLT) you have to buy resale when they come up on resale (at a premium). What is good for Disney usually trickles own to being good for all of us DVC pleebs. (It is nice to see how many ppl scramble to do nice things for their family)

We haven’t been asked for a deposit.....

That is odd, as soon as they told me they were selling me the points, I paid a deposit there and then, with the rest collected a month later. Maybe they have done this on purpose so they can say they hadn't 'sold' the points yet. Maybe call back and say you are calling about paying the deposit on the points?

That is odd, as soon as they told me they were selling me the points, I paid a deposit there and then, with the rest collected a month later. Maybe they have done this on purpose so they can say they hadn't 'sold' the points yet. Maybe call back and say you are calling about paying the deposit on the points?
Oh right. I’m a bit worried now. We were all ready to pay a deposit or pay in full when they called. We’ll get onto them. Thank you.

We just closed in December and our deed was recorded on Dec 18th. does this mean we are not new owners and we have to buy 75 or can we still get 25-50 pts for already members? I am not sure how this effects me.
If you closed in Dec, your member number is floating around somewhere.

I’d call and ask them to find you in the system (and sell you a 25 pt contract)!

And then I’d call member services tomorrow and get your member number!

Last edited:
It is interesting that this seems to be a one-two punch. First they raised the direct prices on the existing resorts. Then a month later they raise the minimum purchase for the extras.

It is also interesting that direct purchasers who only buy 74 points will get no benefits.

And if you sell in the future, you would want to sell your resale contracts first, else you would lose benefits.

It does seem to be a good business decision. Disney has staked out a business model of a new kind of timeshare with low pressure sales tactics. As their sales people were asked to compete against resale and easy access to market knowledge (such as the DisBoards), we have been getting more reports of high pressure or outright lying by the Guides.

This should help the guides make a living, and overall, it will help the ecosystem. After all, there is no resale market unless those points were sold direct at some point.

Direct is the Golden Goose that brings us the perks we all want, especially Moonlight Magic & the DVC annual passes.

All these add ons / new purchases for CCV might precipitate a new declaration of CCV points. That will clear some waitlists and make a few members happy.

Hmm. I don’t care about the perks but I do worry this could dent resale prices. The last round of restrictions didn’t seem to change pricing, but this one is a little more extreme.

It is interesting that this seems to be a one-two punch. First they raised the direct prices on the existing resorts. Then a month later they raise the minimum purchase for the extras.

It is also interesting that direct purchasers who only buy 74 points will get no benefits.

And if you sell in the future, you would want to sell your resale contracts first, else you would lose benefits.

It does seem to be a good business decision. Disney has staked out a business model of a new kind of timeshare with low pressure sales tactics. As their sales people were asked to compete against resale and easy access to market knowledge (such as the DisBoards), we have been getting more reports of high pressure or outright lying by the Guides.

This should help the guides make a living, and overall, it will help the ecosystem. After all, there is no resale market unless those points were sold direct at some point.

It's a 1,2,3 punch. Don't forget the second punch of a 9% increase on Platinum annual passes. Makes the DVC discount that much more enticing. The fact that this announcement was made the exact same day as the ticket price increase has to be more than a coincidence.

Anyone else find it ironic this came out on the same day ticket prices increased?

Disney: "You better act fast and buy direct points if you want these member benefits... BUT they already will cost you more."

(insert evil laugh)

It’s interesting to me how many dishonest guides I’ve heard about since joining DVC direct in January. We had a great guide experience but I agree this should help everything moving forward.

Anyone else find it ironic this came out on the same day ticket prices increased?

Disney: "You better act fast and buy direct points if you want these member benefits... BUT they already will cost you more."

(insert evil laugh)

In defense of Disney, not only raising prices good for them, but it is actually good for those who are paying them as well. It is undeniable that the parks are very crowded. It will only get much, much worse once Star Wars land opens. As long as Disney does not build a 5th park, they need to artificially reduce crowd size by pricing people out. It's sad to see happen, but it also makes sense.

In defense of Disney, not only raising prices good for them, but it is actually good for those who are paying them as well. It is undeniable that the parks are very crowded. It will only get much, much worse once Star Wars land opens. As long as Disney does not build a 5th park, they need to artificially reduce crowd size by pricing people out. It's sad to see happen, but it also makes sense.
Yes they said the last round of price increases was for that very reason - didn't work, so they bang them higher. Probably won't work again. Only a US recession will hit them. I think the Disney Parks will then have to slash prices (generous offers) as they will be hammered. The buy in (tickets, food etc) is now so much higher than last recession.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter