Electric Bill & Delivery Charges

Just looked at our current bill. 60% of the electricity charges are delivery, taxes, and surcharges.

Our gas and electric utility is NYSEG, who is proposing a 62% rate hike for electricity over the next 3 years. Right now it seems like the Public Service Commission is going to approve this.

Just looked at our current bill. 60% of the electricity charges are delivery, taxes, and surcharges.

Our gas and electric utility is NYSEG, who is proposing a 62% rate hike for electricity over the next 3 years. Right now it seems like the Public Service Commission is going to approve this.
Our electric provider is a Municipally owned, not for profit operation. That probably is why our rates are lower and no transmission fee.

Last edited:
Just got an email today saying that my electric bill was increasing to $614 / month immediately. We have budget billing where they charge the same amount each month and then we pay any difference at the 6 month mark.
I stopped doing the budget during Covid because the jump then was absurd and unjustified and instead I just pay according to my own estimate broken into 12. I changed from budget because it became clear my local system was using this as an exploit to grab more money than needed with the 6 month thing instead of 12 months and would just drop the amount due at the end to cover themselves, I wasn't digging it. How I managed it was I called them and got the charges for 12 months back. I did the same thing for electric. This prevented the wide swings for the budget that come with the rolling 6 months.

Northeast FL
we have Clay Electric co-op. 1500ish sq ft, 3 bdrm, 2 bath. 3 computers on most of the time, a/c runs constantly from May until October; ceiling fans in master bedroom/dining area, and we put up wall fans in the other two bedrooms and living room area.

I don't have August bill yet; it gets read on the 16th, but July's was:

6/16-7/16
Access charge 32.00
Energy charge 1000kwh @ .0725 72.50
Energy charge 979 kwh @ .0913 89.38
Power cost adjustment 1979 kwh @ .0185 36.61
Subdivision lighting small 1.40
Light PCA .07
FLA gross receipts tax 5.94
FL state sales tax .10
Clay Cty Salex tax .02
Clay Co public ser utility tax 5.56

Avg kwh 66 (1979, 30 days)
last month (june) avg 57 (1772, 31 days)
Last year avg 70 (2306, 33 days)
avg daily high 92

And a note: Lower power cost this month. Members are being billed less for power in July thansk to a reduction in the power cost adjustment. Members using the industry household average of 1000 kwh will pay $123, a $7 savings.
-----------------------

I expect the August bill to be about $275-300; I've budgeted $300 but I still have a credit of $232.56 from paying extra in January from DH's end of year bonus (and continuing to pay the amount due each month), to help with the higher costs during the summer. We used to do budget billing with them (we've had them since 2011 at the various houses), but you have to be in your place for a year so they can calculate the amount correctly, then they adjust it every 6 months, and I didn't even bother with it at the year mark. /shrug

we belong to a co-op as well-do you also receive periodic payments from them (aka 'capital credits')?

I stopped doing the budget during Covid because the jump then was absurd and unjustified and instead I just pay according to my own estimate broken into 12. I changed from budget because it became clear my local system was using this as an exploit to grab more money than needed with the 6 month thing instead of 12 months and would just drop the amount due at the end to cover themselves, I wasn't digging it. How I managed it was I called them and got the charges for 12 months back. I did the same thing for electric. This prevented the wide swings for the budget that come with the rolling 6 months.
We also got off so-called budget billing when we realized that if we kept it up we'd have an enormous bill in a few months. I read the meters myself and send in the readings. We recently got smart meters but I don't think they're fully functional yet--or if they ever will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter