Emetophobia (fear of vomiting) Support

kacaju - did I know your DD had Trich? I also have Trich...I don't know if we discussed this before or not. Gotta love OCD & anxiety!!!!

I don't think we did talk about it because it is my dd19 that has trich
dd12 is the reason I am here LOL!!

I've talked about Trich on a few threads, couldn't remember if it was here or not. Mine is with my eyelashes only. I've done therapy, I've done hypno-therapy and meds. Nothing seems to work but it has subsided greatly over time.

I'm just a hot mess! OCD runs in my family. My mom suffers from it, I'm told her mother did too. DS14 has Tourettes which is anxiety-induced. Thankfully its very mild & he needs no OT or meds for it. We just let it run its course.

OMG DS is 15 not 14. See now I have Altzheimers too!

I have started a new program. So far, so good. It's called Anxiety Revolution-
http://anxietyrevolution.com/foundation

It's completely free and all online, and you learn a good amount about anxiety and what causes it... and how to make it better. I have gotten through video #2- ready for video #3, but it hasn't been sent to me yet (they're sent intermittantly). There are a lot of emet's over there that have been getting some relief. I'm working with DH on his anxiety too. Thus far, we have had a MUCH happier couple of weeks- meditation, essential oils, rescue remedy, a supportive diet... all good things. :goodvibes

Hugs to you all! :grouphug:

Cool- yes, it sounds to me that it's totally anxiety induced. I had a friend in college that would do the same exact thing (she would get sick every morning before class). I asked her how she was doing about a year or so ago (when the SAME thing happened to me out of panic) and she said after talking to a counselor she is doing so much better. So, I'm sure the doctor will help you! It helps me to talk it out to people I trust (even though it makes me :sad1: to actually FACE my anxiety), and once I start looking at it from the outside in, it totally changes my perspective. I love "Anxiety Slayer"- they have a podcast on iTunes, and Shann and Ananga are AWESOME. They give lots of tips regarding anxiety, relaxation, and how to support yourself. Once you figure out how to support yourself, your whole world changes. BTW, I'm a music teacher (private instruction), so I totally understand the color guard thing. I was in marching band- I get you chica! :thumbsup2 Anxiety was SKY HIGH from before elementary school THROUGH college (omg :eek:) and believe it or not, recognizing that there is a problem and admitting it to yourself and someone else (anyone else) is the first step to recovery. So, great job for coming here for support! I used to live on antacids and tums... don't do that- that'll cause more damage in the long run. Try to find other things that support you- hot herbal tea, cool water, foods that are unprocessed and easy to digest (soups, cooked veggies, eggs, oatmeal, etc.). Good luck- keep us posted!!!! :cheer2:

The worse thing just happened....

Last night I felt really sick to my stomach, but not like I usually do. This felt like REALLY being sick (usually the nausea is in my throat)

About two hours ago it came back and I swear I was gonna vomit and I went to stand by the toilet and I got really dizzy and I heard a ringing in my ears and my hands began to tingle and I had to collapse to the ground... ***? Is my phobia getting worse. I truly felt like I was going to throw up because I actually felt SICK.,, I'm so scared. I don't want to go through another night with this... And I am NOT leaving my house for the appointment Friday... There's no way, not if actually vomiting is a real possibility... Help )':

P.S. a bug is going around here. I have heard of 2 of my friends getting sick

The worse thing just happened....

Last night I felt really sick to my stomach, but not like I usually do. This felt like REALLY being sick (usually the nausea is in my throat)

About two hours ago it came back and I swear I was gonna vomit and I went to stand by the toilet and I got really dizzy and I heard a ringing in my ears and my hands began to tingle and I had to collapse to the ground... ***? Is my phobia getting worse. I truly felt like I was going to throw up because I actually felt SICK.,, I'm so scared. I don't want to go through another night with this... And I am NOT leaving my house for the appointment Friday... There's no way, not if actually vomiting is a real possibility... Help )':

P.S. a bug is going around here. I have heard of 2 of my friends getting sick

Ugh.....I'm sorry you are going through this and believe me when I say I know what it's like. I am the person who started this whole thread. Lived with this my whole life and I am now 40. The only advice I can give you right now is to NEVER put your hands in your mouth EVER! I would go to your appointment still, you really need this! Trust me chances are you will NOT get sick. At least go so you can get a prescription for Phenergan. It's a GREAT anti vomiting pill that I rely on heavily. Don't leave home without it. The only negative is it wil make you very sleepy but it's a great way to deeal knowing you have a "back-up". I only take it when I am feeling VERY sick. I think just knowing i have it available help me from letting the anxiety escalate. Good luck and :hug:

Does it ever end? I read all these post and people say they have had it for years... I want this to end NOW ):
I don't even leave the house so idk how I'd get it but I won't put my hands (or anything!) in my mouth.
Does what just happen sound like apart of my panic and anxiety to emetophobia? Or could I actually have ate something bad? (We had fish last night and the batter we use on it says to refrigerate after opening and we didn't...)
I just haven't eaten much today.. I don't like eat anymore I always feel sick afterwards ):
Right now, after I've calmed down I feel like I could handle the appointment, but after an "episode" I can't bear even the thought of living.
We first diagnose this as anxiety and I've come to realize its definitely the fear of vomiting. I have always been anxious about it but it was rational. My last and earliest memory of vomiting was me standing by the toilet with my mom and shaking so badly she asked if I was cold and I said that I was scared.. ):
I'm hoping the psychiatrist realizes its emetophobia that has turned into some pretty bad social anxiety we think. I'm just so scared and want this to end ),: ::hugs::

Coolcait1996 said:
Hello, my name is Caitlin and I'm 17 and a senior in high school. I really need your help! This is a bit long so bear with me!

I have been in Colorguard for two season, and this year was my third. (Colorguard is part of marching band and we spin flags and weapons at half time for football games) during a performance, I dry heaved half way through first movement, I tried to push through it but it got worse and worse. I went to the ambulance and we thought I had overheated (temp of 100.9 and our uniform was a windbreaker that night). Or I assumed I had a bug and it decided to act up. I had a competition the next day and it happened again sooner. Mind you the first time I ran off the field but this time I hide behind the wall barriers out of sight ) in reaction to my dry heaving I began shaking and crying because I've always been scared of throwing up, but the fear was rational. After the second time we began the think it was anxiety.
I had alot going on, I just moved out of my dads house because I was unhappy, my dad had pushed me away, I enrolled in two AP classes never taken an AP before, senior year and college to worry about. I've always had incredibly low self esteem and low self worth and always been extremely hard on myself and my father always pushed me and never seemed proud. Seemed like external anxiety was effecting my Colorguard
It began to effect my everyday life. Cut the progression, as of now I have missed two weeks of school. I can't leave the house not even to hang out with friends and do things I enjoy. It's a vicious cycle, my anxiety causes nausea and that causes me to panic about throwing up. I have always been scared of throwing up, I would feel uncomfortable in packed room or some place without an escape and I would always scheme plans to what id do if I needed to leave. Feeling like I'm gonna get sick and getting sick is the end of the world in my mind.
I have been taking pepto bismol and anti-nausea meds and natural remedies to stay calm but I hate going to bed which is when I have my worst attacks of trying not to throw up. I just don't see it getting better if its all in my head, feeling nausea and throwing up is always a possibility because its a human function, and I will always be scared of it.
Is there any escape!? Even through professionals and prescribed medication?

Oh honey, I've been there when I was in middle school. I didn't go to school for 2 years because I was bullied. And I was terrified of throwing up so I wouldn't eat, slept sitting up with a puke bucket, and lived on mylanta. They tried to diagnose me as anorexic, but my mom said no, I was afraid of getting sick, not making myself get sick. Medicine and therapy got me through it. The medicine took a few weeks to build up and start working, but I noticed myself eating more and more. I got back to school and graduated on time. Now I no longer think I'm dying when I feel nauseous and it doesn't control my life. I can help others when they are sick and not worry that I will get sick. It can get better, I promise. Get professional help and try medications and relaxation techniques till you find the combo that works for you!

Coolcait1996 said:
Does it ever end? I read all these post and people say they have had it for years... I want this to end NOW ):
I don't even leave the house so idk how I'd get it but I won't put my hands (or anything!) in my mouth.
Does what just happen sound like apart of my panic and anxiety to emetophobia? Or could I actually have ate something bad? (We had fish last night and the batter we use on it says to refrigerate after opening and we didn't...)
I just haven't eaten much today.. I don't like eat anymore I always feel sick afterwards ):
Right now, after I've calmed down I feel like I could handle the appointment, but after an "episode" I can't bear even the thought of living.
We first diagnose this as anxiety and I've come to realize its definitely the fear of vomiting. I have always been anxious about it but it was rational. My last and earliest memory of vomiting was me standing by the toilet with my mom and shaking so badly she asked if I was cold and I said that I was scared.. ):
I'm hoping the psychiatrist realizes its emetophobia that has turned into some pretty bad social anxiety we think. I'm just so scared and want this to end ),: ::hugs::

Force yourself to go to your appointment tomorrow. If your anxiety gets bad while you ate there, all the better. Then the dr can SEE what is going on. And people throw up in public all the time. You won't die, even though it feels like you will. You need help before you get to the point that you won't eat. My body stated shutting down and I would have died if I didn't get help.

StitchesGr8Fan said:
Oh honey, I've been there when I was in middle school. I didn't go to school for 2 years because I was bullied. And I was terrified of throwing up so I wouldn't eat, slept sitting up with a puke bucket, and lived on mylanta. They tried to diagnose me as anorexic, but my mom said no, I was afraid of getting sick, not making myself get sick. Medicine and therapy got me through it. The medicine took a few weeks to build up and start working, but I noticed myself eating more and more. I got back to school and graduated on time. Now I no longer think I'm dying when I feel nauseous and it doesn't control my life. I can help others when they are sick and not worry that I will get sick. It can get better, I promise. Get professional help and try medications and relaxation techniques till you find the combo that works for you!

I literally worry myself sick though! It's not like I get nauseous and panic... I just am scared by it In general! I just really hope the doctor understands and can put me on medication that'll help for my case.. I just hate leaving the house and talking to people.. I've always had issues of feeling nauseous if I talked to long, but it never was irrational! I'm hoping I feel okay on Friday when I see her and can make it through ): thanks so much for the understanding everyone.

((HUGS)) you CAN do this.... You will do it!! I have faith in you. I see just how bad this is for my daughter and she is only 12. She was getting to the point like you...not wanting to leave the house...her therapist was great at helping her

I've been out of school for over two weeks and it has taken this long to get an appointment! Only problem is getting me out of the house to see the psychiatrist. I can't even be with my mom anymore cause I start to feel sick..

I've been out of school for over two weeks and it has taken this long to get an appointment! Only problem is getting me out of the house to see the psychiatrist. I can't even be with my mom anymore cause I start to feel sick..

http://www.stressandanxiety.com/about/staff/allen-weg/fighting-ocd

take a look at this site..This happens to be our therapists office..If you can find the Primetime Show where they show a few different families struggling with similar things..I hoep it will help you realize you are not alone.

Cool- here are some suggestions.

If you're worried you got food poisoning (though... you would have probably have gotten sick by now, and since you haven't, I bet you're fine), check out "Oregano Oil" capsules. Oregano Oil has been proven to kill e-coli and even SARS- a natural anti-biotic of sorts! Take a couple of capsules (available from the health food store). I always take a capsule or two if I eat out anywhere, as well as digestive enzymes (Digest Spectrum).

Also, look into probiotics. Good gut health = better immune system = no sicky! I use PB8 14 billion, and eat a lot of Bubbies sauerkraut, yogurt, and kombucha tea- all good little bacteria to keep the belly happy and doing what it's supposed to.

Since you said whenever you eat you feel ill.... is there a possibility that you might need to go gluten or dairy free? I have a friend that gets SICK (very sick) when she has gluten. She also suffers from anxiety, too, but her sickness is definitely gluten induced. You may notice from my siggie that I'm gluten free too. It doesn't make me SICK, just very bloated and uncomfortable for a few hours (I look preggo if I get glutened)- a simple blood test will be able to tell you for sure if you're gluten sensitive.

I hope you can get to the doc tomorrow! One visit will work wonders I'm sure! You can do it! :cheer2:

Yeah I'm lactose intolerant. And I'm just scared to eat because that means food in my tummy that I can throw up ):
And I'm slightly lactose intolerant.
And I don't know how I'm gonna make it to my appointment... I don't wanna think about it, that'll be the death of me... Tips on how to make it through safely??

Yeah I'm lactose intolerant. And I'm just scared to eat because that means food in my tummy that I can throw up ):
And I'm slightly lactose intolerant.
And I don't know how I'm gonna make it to my appointment... I don't wanna think about it, that'll be the death of me... Tips on how to make it through safely??

Yep, I feel you on this one. This is something that plagued me when I was little, and now only sometimes. If you're interested, click the top link in my signature (it's my blog)- I talk about eating meat again (we were vegetarian for 2 years), and talk a little about my emetophobia, with a link in the blog to my other posts about it as well. Your body needs nutrients to be healthy. Eating wholesome, nutrient dense foods won't make you sick. Sometimes when I get worked up, but I know that I have to eat something, I will make a small smoothie and sip it over a period of time. I normally do things like fruits and veggies with a little bit of coconut milk (for calories). Sometimes I need to take a sip, walk away, come back, take a sip, walk away.... you get the idea. But at least that gives me energy, which is one thing that helps with my anxiety.

As far as being able to leave the house to go to the doctor, whenever I'm nervous or anxious, I put in my earbuds and blast Dave Matthews music. Find music that makes you feel good. Then, go outside, walk around a bit, then stand in the grass in bare feet, close your eyes and drop your shoulders. Be PRESENT- listen to your music, feel the grass between your toes and the wind in your face, slow your breathing. Stay like that for as long as you need, and when you're ready, carry on with your day. Get out of your head, and get into the present moment. This is the hardest thing to do when you're anxious (for all of us), and it will take a few moments to come out of panic to allow you to do this, but seriously, it really DOES help. Do I sound like a total hippie? :goodvibes I don't hide it very well.

Also, check out these videos by Brad Yates - EFT.

If you're not familiar with what EFT is, here's a good intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjKZOV9pzs&feature=plcp

Kind of kid centered, but I still like it. Feeling yucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGmalKuatEY&feature=plcp

Being afraid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzAMxiiVWBw&feature=plcp

Fear and panic right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajW1b-6jgJY&feature=plcp

You'll be ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP70Et2d3Lw&feature=plcp

Clearing fear and worry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heQvpti4uvo&feature=plcp

I hope this helps!

UPDATE!!:

My psychiatrist called my mom at work and CANCELED our appointment. One day ahead??? I suffered for who knows how long waiting for this much needed appointment and they cancelled it the moment I couldn't take another freakin day! They put active military people as top priority. my dad is retired. My mom came home early crying because she was so pissed and upset. She said she couldn't stand seeing me another night
By that she means last night. I felt sick and she has been trying really hard to help me, and asked if I wanted to go on a walk and I said I didn't feel good and she suggested that I throw up a few times until it becomes not a big deal and that broke me down because to me throwing up is the end of the world and I was BAWLING and she came over to comfort me and I shoved her away firmly and said noooo leave me aloneeeee and she was SOOO hurt when she responded "okayyyy D:" and I left the house and was out from 7-9 crying hysterically. I couldn't take it anymore I didn't want a day to begin or end because every night I suffer and I hate waking up not knowing when ill have an episode and I just hated living...
So she took me to the ER today. She had to give me some of her medicine to keep me calm enough to get there. They prescribed me Ativan . I have only 20 tablets and that's a temporary prescription until I can see a psychiatrist. They got us an appointment October 31st. But they could put an active duty people before me again so the ER doctor gave us a list of some psychiatrist so if we can see them sooner then my scheduled appointment we will take them. Because we can't risk them pushing my appointment away.
The medicine totally helps. I'm a whole different person already !!!

The medicine totally helps. I'm a whole different person already !!!

I'm glad the medicine is helping you so far! I hope you have a great day today and a relaxing weekend! This is your very first step! One step at a time- you can do this!!!! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter