Entertaining non-character TS

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Hello!
For years we’ve mainly done character meals because my kids loved them! Last summer we ate at Whispering Canyon, and my kids thought it was the BEST.
What other non-character restaurants offer some sort of entertainment value, like WCC? (I’m thinking something fun/interactive- beyond just nice ambiance.)
I have Hoop Dee Doo, T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe on the list already. Am I missing anywhere?
Thanks in advance!

The first two that pop into my head are The Sci-Fi and 50's Prime Time cafe. There is also Teppan Edo. From the three mentioned here, I would say 50's Prime Time is more like Whisper Canyon than the the other two. It has more staff interaction as well as a fun atmosphere. I think most kids would find any of these places to be entertaining.

Last edited:
Restaurant Marrakesh has belly dancing (scheduled times so plan around that).

The last time I ate there, I slipped into my seat about 10 minutes before she started. The couple next to me was clearly done eating and hanging out, I thought they were waiting for the dancing to start, and then they got up and left 30 seconds before the dancer took the floor. I thought "No, wait! You're about to miss the best part." I wonder how many of us have "missed" a WDW treat by 30 seconds?

Tony's in MK, ate on the balcony and had ring side (and elevated above crowd) seats for the evening parade.

This year we're doing California Grill for fireworks viewing.

I’m no help adding to your list, but only reaffirming that T-Rex is amazing! Our kids adored it.

I agree with SciFi, 50's, and Teppan Edo. All 3 are a lot of fun. :) SciFi has the coolest theme.

My kids didn't like SciFi. They thought the movies were weird. LOL.

They do love places like Biergarten, 50s Primetime, Beaches and Cream, Boma, Teppan Edo, Rainforest Cafe.

T-Rex....Spirit of Aloha....Hoop De Doo.... Via Napoli is fun....San Angel Inn...Be Our Guest (Lunch does not have the Beast)...even Cosmic Rays (QS) is fun.

T-Rex....Spirit of Aloha....Hoop De Doo.... Via Napoli is fun....San Angel Inn...Be Our Guest (Lunch does not have the Beast)...even Cosmic Rays (QS) is fun.
Thanks for the feedback! Just curious- what’s fun about Via Napoli? I’ve never been there but love Italian food:)

I’m no help adding to your list, but only reaffirming that T-Rex is amazing! Our kids adored it.
Our kids too! And they like Rainforest as well, which is essentially the same restaurant with different animals:)

Restaurant Marrakesh has belly dancing (scheduled times so plan around that).

The last time I ate there, I slipped into my seat about 10 minutes before she started. The couple next to me was clearly done eating and hanging out, I thought they were waiting for the dancing to start, and then they got up and left 30 seconds before the dancer took the floor. I thought "No, wait! You're about to miss the best part." I wonder how many of us have "missed" a WDW treat by 30 seconds?

Tony's in MK, ate on the balcony and had ring side (and elevated above crowd) seats for the evening parade.

This year we're doing California Grill for fireworks viewing.
I didn’t realize you could see fireworks from California Grill! Do they pipe in the music/sounds from the show as well?

I agree with SciFi, 50's, and Teppan Edo. All 3 are a lot of fun. :) SciFi has the coolest theme.
So we just tried Sci-Fi for the first time this trip at my 6 year old’s request. We didn’t love it. I think we got it on an off night though. My kids barely touched their food bc they were zoned out at the movies, so we wound up having to buy Mickey pretzels shortly after (that makes me crazy lol!)
Our food took forever, and then they brought out the wrong thing.
Then the bathrooms (all of them) were out of order so to go to the bathroom you had to go outside and walk to the Star Wars ones.
Then to top it off, someone puked all over in front of our car. Idk who because I was out at the SW bathrooms for the second time with the second kid (who insisted he didn’t have to go when I was taking his sister 10 minutes earlier). So as we were eating, there was a maintenance crew cleaning vomit in front of us. Less than appetizing to say the least. The waiter asked if we wanted dessert. That was a big fat NO lol.
To top it off, the 6 year old was apparently scared by some monster movie and wanted to sleep with the lights on all night.

Obviously, I’m sure without all of the above, my experience would’ve played out much differently. A lot of the issues were with my kids and not any fault of the restaurant. And the puking was out of their hands as well. It’ll prob be a while before we give it another shot though lol.

I didn’t realize you could see fireworks from California Grill! Do they pipe in the music/sounds from the show as well?

They do pipe in music. You can watch from inside the restaurant or move outside to an observation area. You can try and time an ADR to your meal or you can eat earlier, then come back to watch the show. Only diners from that same day will be allowed access back to the restaurant observation area.

So we just tried Sci-Fi for the first time this trip at my 6 year old’s request. We didn’t love it...

...It’ll prob be a while before we give it another shot though lol.

I should say so!:rotfl2:

A similar story to why we won't be on a cruise ship anytime soon. Told the kids "hope you enjoyed your cruise, you may not be on another one until you take your own families."

Thanks for the feedback! Just curious- what’s fun about Via Napoli? I’ve never been there but love Italian food:)
It's just a fun Italian atmosphere. The ovens are fun...faces named after volcanos...loud, great food, artistically interesting...I'm Italian, so it is just a great atmosphere in my humble opinion.

My brother hated 50's Prime Time. He was not amused by the interactions. Maybe I should have warned him ahead of time. My niece hated Rainforest Cafe because she was scared of thunderstorms and there were thunderstorms in there every so many minutes. If your family doesn't like fish, check the Coral Reef menu and make sure there are things they will eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter