Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

OK, seriously. I can’t even follow this and it’s not your fault. I’m ready to throw in the towel! 😭
If you focus on the simpler side of it, the modify works well and you probably understand much of it from some of the posts here. There are always complicated exceptions that can come up - but those are so rare, it's not worth worrying about. And keep in mind another recent improvement to the G+ process - the app will show you the time you're eligible to make your next LL reservation. You don't need to calculate anything - the app shows you. The most we get invested in monitoring most of the time is we'll set an alarm on our phone 5 minutes before we can make the next LL - just to remind us in case we want another attraction. It's far from perfect, but it's not something to worry about either.

Would you say it's worth getting a LL for the parade over a ride (once we've secured PPF)? Does it save a lot of time sitting out in the sun to secure a good spot? Or is it worth securing another ride instead?
I have no idea how far in advance is needed to get a good parade spot anymore! So unsure of how this compares to ride wait times.
Just to add, we are going in late August 🥵

I think it is worth getting a LL for the parade only if you can work it out, so you are booking the parade LL close to the parade time, then entering the location, and then immediately booking another lightning lane after it. This sounds kind of complicated but I actually don't find it pretty easy to accomplish because it tends to line up with the booking every two hours and booking return times that are fairly close.

OK, seriously. I can’t even follow this and it’s not your fault. I’m ready to throw in the towel! 😭

Agree. Due to proximity, we always see my mom before we head to WDW, and I had to start explaining to her what I was doing the morning we were heading over. As soon as I started doing that I was like, nope, this is too complicated, just talking about it makes me sound like I've gone 'round the Disney bend.

Okay, we are home from 3 days of Genie+ and here are some of my big takeaways:

The Bad:
- Doesn't work reliably! This is, I think, the worst. I had issues on our check-in day with it simultaneously recognizing my tickets/reservations in some parts of the app while refusing to recognize them in other parts. I had issues on the third day with it recognizing that we were on Park Hoppers. This is a paid product and as such it's particularly egregious that not only does it not work reliably but it's not even working consistently with itself - one screen would tell me I was eligible and the next would say no one in our party had a park reservation.
- Booking a new ride doesn't feel very intuitive, or didn't to me. I kept clicking on the "+" instead of scrolling down the tip board, I don't really get why I'm booking a new attraction on something called a "tip board" but maybe that's just my own mental block.
- The constant refreshing. In line, on slow rides, while talking with my family. I tried not to, but the way the more popular rides go, the only way to get LLs is to refresh, refresh, refresh.
- The changes in time on the second screen. My advice to anyone is to really make sure you look at the time on that second screen if you're about to modify an LL you were excited to get. For rides with low availability I'd book anything remotely in our window and then try to modify to a better time. Refresh, refresh, refresh, ooh a time I like confirm, oh crud what did I just book?! Time windows 4 hours later. Happened twice because I was refreshing while trying to do something else and not paying enough attention to the second screen.
- 7 AM. Every. single. day.

The Good:
- It is easier to get LL for really popular attractions than it was for FP, simply because no one can book in advance. You are nearly guaranteed to get your first pick LL selection, whatever it is, and every day I was able to later grab LLs for rides that were sold out for LL earlier in the day by refreshing.
- Stacking is nice, and that you're allowed to overlap plans makes stacking effective. We did a nice little run of HS on our last night where I was able to, while at the pool in the afternoon, stack TSM, Aliens, Star Tours, and MMRR all between 5:45-7:30 and get to Fantasmic by 7:40. Couldn't have done that with Fastpass, definitely not at the last minute.
-The big bold "Book your next attraction" screen is really helpful, if I wasn't trying to modify anything I knew I could just put my phone away until then.
- The ability to book LL at multiple parks when you have Park Hoppers is nice too, FP was much more restrictive about that. At one point I had LLs at AK, Epcot, and HS simultaneously.

One thought I had on the 7 AM issue is that if the purpose is to be more of an equalizer it would be nice if they'd maybe split the difference between 60 days out and 7 AM day-of, maybe like 1 PM the day before. Something that would eliminate the need to mega advance-plan but also the need to set an alarm for 6:45 every morning of your vacation.

I finished our second day with it today. Still hated it. Not didn’t like it. Not strongly disliked it. HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT

All the things I hated about it:

1) Paying so much more per day for it. Insane for larger families

2) having to start this ridiculous process at 7am

3) not really knowing what you’ll get or what time until that 7am day off hour (or later)

4) not being able to see a range of available times for everything at all times. If I have one booked, it doesn’t show other available times. I have to pretend I’m modifying, then it shows me one alternative time

5) the 2 hour wait. Ridiculous.

6) how complicated the tool/system is

7) the 2 hr reset clock if I make certain modifications or cancels

8) toggling between my day and top board. Not quick or easy

9) how few experiences you can get on with it

10) how nothing new really became available during the day. I had the impression lots would keep appearing or alternate times but in my experience, that happened very infrequently

11) being glued to the screen all day waiting for things to show up, remembering that 2 hr mark and having to book next thing. Horrible

12) lack of reliability of tool

I could go on and on.

Will never buy again. Will reduce trips dramatically down to maybe once a year. It’s that bad!

anyone who thinks this is better than FP+ is smoking something or has drank the Disney KoolAid!!!!!!

If I have to pay, charge me per ride and let me pick them at the beginning of the day or better yet day or two before.

I finished our second day with it today. Still hated it. Not didn’t like it. Not strongly disliked it. HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT

All the things I hated about it:

1) Paying so much more per day for it. Insane for larger families

2) having to start this ridiculous process at 7am

3) not really knowing what you’ll get or what time until that 7am day off hour (or later)

4) not being able to see a range of available times for everything at all times. If I have one booked, it doesn’t show other available times. I have to pretend I’m modifying, then it shows me one alternative time

5) the 2 hour wait. Ridiculous.

6) how complicated the tool/system is

7) the 2 hr reset clock if I make certain modifications or cancels

8) toggling between my day and top board. Not quick or easy

9) how few experiences you can get on with it

10) how nothing new really became available during the day. I had the impression lots would keep appearing or alternate times but in my experience, that happened very infrequently

11) being glued to the screen all day waiting for things to show up, remembering that 2 hr mark and having to book next thing. Horrible

12) lack of reliability of tool

I could go on and on.

Will never buy again. Will reduce trips dramatically down to maybe once a year. It’s that bad!

anyone who thinks this is better than FP+ is smoking something or has drank the Disney KoolAid!!!!!!

If I have to pay, charge me per ride and let me pick them at the beginning of the day or better yet day or two before.

Genie+ is not for everyone. I hope today is a wonderful day for you free from everything Genie.

It’s not for you and that’s fine but please do not be unkind to those who like the new option. Saying they must be smoking or drinking something is not called for. They are welcome to their opinion just as you are to yours.

Last edited:
I’m here now. Getting ready to pay $22 pp for the 3rd day. G+ is worth it to me even for just a couple rides to keep us out of lines. Honestly I don’t want to wait an hour (pretty much ever) and a half hour is pushing it. I still am annoyed with the cost and maybe just the overall park experience.
I’ve been upset about our Wednesday AH experience - so I am harboring some resentment already! I don’t mind G+ itself and I’m decent at using it- it feels good when you modify and get a great time- but on the other hand even with refreshing throughout the day some attraction aren’t available. Especially if you have other plans and can’t try all day. We have been here several times and are ok skipping some attractions.
I also enjoy when you can get something last minute and it works out- my son was so close to getting in FOP (the cast member was so sweet having him take a deep breath, raise his arms, etc but his head just wouldn’t touch the bar). So I grabbed a LL for dinosaur at the last minute.
I’m pretty sure Im spending $160 this morning and will probably only be taking the kids and in-laws on MMRR and maybe one other if there are any morning times. If we can stack anything for Epcot that’ll be great but yesterday I couldn’t find remy or frozen all day. Now I just need to decide if I want to double that to ride rise!
One other point I’d like to make about G+ is that my in-laws went alone to MK on Wednesday. I was managing their G+ from the springs. They had no idea how to do it. Even with explanation it would have been difficult for them to do while in crowds and navigating the park. Something I like about Disney is that it requires research and planning to “figure out” but that really doesn’t make it inclusive for all.

I’m here now. Getting ready to pay $22 pp for the 3rd day. G+ is worth it to me even for just a couple rides to keep us out of lines. Honestly I don’t want to wait an hour (pretty much ever) and a half hour is pushing it. I still am annoyed with the cost and maybe just the overall park experience.
I’ve been upset about our Wednesday AH experience - so I am harboring some resentment already! I don’t mind G+ itself and I’m decent at using it- it feels good when you modify and get a great time- but on the other hand even with refreshing throughout the day some attraction aren’t available. Especially if you have other plans and can’t try all day. We have been here several times and are ok skipping some attractions.
I also enjoy when you can get something last minute and it works out- my son was so close to getting in FOP (the cast member was so sweet having him take a deep breath, raise his arms, etc but his head just wouldn’t touch the bar). So I grabbed a LL for dinosaur at the last minute.
I’m pretty sure Im spending $160 this morning and will probably only be taking the kids and in-laws on MMRR and maybe one other if there are any morning times. If we can stack anything for Epcot that’ll be great but yesterday I couldn’t find remy or frozen all day. Now I just need to decide if I want to double that to ride rise!
One other point I’d like to make about G+ is that my in-laws went alone to MK on Wednesday. I was managing their G+ from the springs. They had no idea how to do it. Even with explanation it would have been difficult for them to do while in crowds and navigating the park. Something I like about Disney is that it requires research and planning to “figure out” but that really doesn’t make it inclusive for all.

This: "G+ is worth it to me even for just a couple rides to keep us out of lines. Honestly I don’t want to wait an hour (pretty much ever) and a half hour is pushing it. I still am annoyed with the cost and maybe just the overall park experience." Is exactly how we feel, too. I told my husband how much G+ cost during our trip and he was like I would rather pay that every day than wait in lines, no-brainer, but the cost adds up quickly for families and during really crowded days you still aren't going to be able to get as much done as you would have with a nicely pre-planned Fastpass day.

I did find that they seemed to drop new LL times throughout the day, but I also refresh a LOT. Like, if we're in a line, I'm refreshing. My son's truest desire was to do Test Track and I had grabbed Remy at 7 AM; by 11 TT was gone. I grabbed an LL for Figment because lines and because I knew we'd tap in sooner so I could try for TT again sooner. While on Figment waiting for the disembarking process I refreshed and lo but Test Track popped up, terrible time but it was Test Track so I grabbed it. Then we went to lunch at Space 220 and I'm refreshing every so often as we're waiting for our food and they dropped what must have been a bunch of Test Track spots for the next hour. They were available for 5-10 minutes then gone. I grabbed one of those and we were able to do standby for green Mission Space before TT. That was our worst G+ day in terms of productivity because the park was just absolutely mobbed and everyone was exhausted. I could have easily also gotten Nemo, Soarin', Living with the Land, but no one wanted to schlep back over to that pavilion and instead we just hit the hotel pool and hung out and watched the Epcot fireworks from our room.

Here's a review of what I managed to get during our trip:

2/20 - check-in day, G+ knows I'm going to Epcot but won't let me VQ for Guardians. Last-minute I switch our day to HS so I can try to Guardians the next day if I need to.
11:30-12:30 - MMRR (booked 7 AM)
Eating lunch at Backlot, mobile order booked during MMRR line
1:35-2:35 - Star Tours (booked 12:45 PM)
Break to watch Indiana Jones Stunt Show and head back to YC to check out our room and eat dinner
5:30-6:30 - MFSR (booked 10:45 AM)
6 PM scored BG for Guardians while headed onto the Skyliner, yes we cut this ride extremely close
7:00-8:00 - Spaceship Earth (booked 2:35 PM)
7:30-8:30 - Soarin (booked 4:35 PM)
Could have gotten more LL for Mission Space, Figment etc but we'd already criss-crossed HS twice and Epcot once so at that point everyone just wanted to hang out and wait for our Guardians BG. This was the only day I saw a Frozen LL in the afternoon and I do sort of regret not snagging it but realistically doubt we would have walked over there.

2/21 - Epcot
11:35-12:35 - Remy (booked 7 AM, these go FAST)
12:15-1:15 - Figment (booked 11 AM)
Had a 2 PM reservation at Space 220
3:45-4:45 PM - TT (booked on Figment after tapping in, was originally like 7 PM but got it modified to this around 2:45 PM)
There will still plenty of LLs available and I even saw another for Remy but our group was DONE it was just really, really crowded.

2/22 - AK
9:05-10:05 AM - Safaris (booked 7 AM)
11:35-12:35 PM - paid for FOP bc the price finally dropped and I have been thwarted at getting on this ride every trip since 2018. Booked at 7:03. Wanted earlier but this was the earliest I could get.
1:20-2:20 PM - Navi (booked 9:15 AM after tap-in at Safaris)
1:00-2:00 PM - EE (booked 11:15 AM)
pool break before heading to HS
5:55-6:55 PM - TSM (booked 5:00 PM)
6:30-7:30 PM - Aliens (booked 3:00 PM)
7:00-8:00 PM - MMRR (booked 1:00 PM)
Didn't see any evening SDDs or I would have grabbed that as well, made for a nice evening up to Fantasmic.

Well sure, it’s better than doing nothing in terms of getting on rides. 10/10 crowd days this week and we would have gotten on nothing without it. That’s not exactly a rousing review though.

And my anger at the fact that “you’d get on nothing without it” is palpable. How is it okay to charge the ticket prices then not be able to really get on anything? How is that okay? I’m really so angry over Genie+ and what we’ve experienced the past two days at the parks that I never want to go again. After going 5-6x a year for 20 years, mind you.

Weren’t there much better solutions? Couldn’t there be 100 better solutions to literally standing in a 2-4 hr line for a ride?
If there is then no other theme park not just Disney has figured it out.

Personally, I like the virtual queue concept but I don't no how good it would work on a grand scale.

If there is then no other theme park not just Disney has figured it out.

Personally, I like the virtual queue concept but I don't no how good it would work on a grand scale.
? They largely figured it out already. The virtual queue works great. Expand it. FP+ essentially worked really well too. Sure could have been a few improvements but why not just tweak that existing platform? Or use the virtual queue platform. Really ANYTHING else. Universals pass is one fee (sure more money) and you just go ride stuff. You don’t need a PhD in understanding the system, you don’t we’d to wake up at 6:45am and watch the clock every 2 hours (or more)

It’s disgusting to sell a product (theme park entry) and think it’s okay for people to literally have to stand in 2-3 hour lines for rides. We really shouldn’t be okay with this.

I’m done now. This week has made me not just frustrated with Genie but disgusted with Disney as a whole. I’ll use some of my DVC points to relax and stay in my favorite hotels (which are largely still pretty magical), I’ll stroll around Disney Springs and I’ll use my AP to casually stroll around parks when not busy (since I already bought it) but if you asked me today am I buying AP next year, I’d say no way.

Last edited:
Ok so I’m planning my g+ strategy for late March. We went last year and purchased it (before refresh was possible) and had some decent success. However, looking at the tip board this week it appears that it’s super hard to get a return time for Frozen and TT (assuming you get Remy first and then try for either of those after either the 2 hrs after open or after tapping in to ride if earlier.) With refresh, is the best strategy to just grab the first thing available after tapping in (for example Figment) and then modifying it until a TT or Frozen becomes available? I assume this is best just to keep that 2 hr clock running. Ideally though I’d find something sooner than the 2hr time frame and be able to keep booking after tapping, yes?

In my experience most things never popped back up. Frozen was gone by early morning and never came back either day. TT was gone by second pick at 11am and also never came back in. So first tier rides, gone mostly at 1 st maybe 2nd pick and never came back. Most of the good rides ( like 2nd tier good) never came back as available after 1pm/2pm or so.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter