• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Exchanging Money in Italy

SLK1

DIS Veteran
I am doing Viva Italia and I was wondering a few things: first, where is the best place to exchange money? I think I read the airport is NOT the place to do it. I've never traveled outside the U.S., so please be very basic with me here! Also, when eating on our own, do most places take American Express?

Second, I know this is subjective, but about how much money do people typically spend on souvenirs? Or maybe a better question is, what are the "Must Haves" when shopping? Is there a thing that every tourist must go home with? And, where was the best place to purchase things?

Third, does anyone use AT&T for their wireless service? I have an iPhone and would love to take it with me so I can still communicate with my family (and play games, check my stocks, and all that other fun stuff!). I will be leaving a two-year-old at home and it will kill me to not know how she's doing. Do they have an international plan that I could use temporarily?

Any other important information anyone wants to share? Please chime in! Thank you!:love:

I'll try to answer some of the questions ...

first, where is the best place to exchange money?

I used my Debit Card (Checking Account) and withdrew money as needed so had no need to exchange money. I was told that going to exchange houses was the expensive way to get Euros.

Also, when eating on our own, do most places take American Express?
Most of the little places much prefer cash. edit: And to save yourself grief always ask first if they even take credit cards before you order. We did use Visa several times but never American Express since we don't have one. Sorry can't help you there.

Second, I know this is subjective, but about how much money do people typically spend on souvenirs? Or maybe a better question is, what are the "Must Haves" when shopping? Is there a thing that every tourist must go home with? And, where was the best place to purchase things?
When you consider the exchange rate souvenirs are pretty expensive so we didn't purchase many.
In Rome the Vatican had a great shop that the guides direct you too. In Orvieto plenty of Italian Tuscany style ceramics and wine.
Florence, plenty of gold and jewlery shops and street stalls with leather, etc. and then Venice ... Murano glass shops everywhere.

Third, does anyone use AT&T for their wireless service? I have an iPhone and would love to take it with me so I can still communicate with my family (and play games, check my stocks, and all that other fun stuff!). I will be leaving a two-year-old at home and it will kill me to not know how she's doing. Do they have an international plan that I could use temporarily?

I am with AT&T wireless. The plan I used is the World Traveler :

$5.99/month

Take your service with you as you travel the world to over 200 countries. With AT&T World Traveler, get OUR BEST roaming rates in over 85 of those countries.

* Allows you to make calls from International locations to anywhere in the world at discounted rates.
* Allows you to make calls to International locations from the U.S. at pay-per-use rates.
Once you log on to their site just go to Manage Features and you can sign up. A month after you get back take yourself off the plan. Wait a good month though so you get the rate of $0.99 per call ( additional to the $5.99 per month). If you don't wait and calls get registered with out the plan in effect you'll pay a lot more per call.

If you own an unlocked cellphone, you could purchase a simcard from onesimcard.com. This is what I use when I travel out of the US since it could get very expensive when you use your cell phone from a US cell provider (AT&T, Verizon, etc.). If your family calls you from anywhere, you don't get charged but of course, they will. If you call them, depending from which country you're at, it may only cost you only .35 cents per minute. You may also get a US number so that your family could dial that number and it will not cost them much to call you but you will end up paying the .35 cents per minute. One thing I like about them, the simcard never expires and you could use it over and over again, but you have to use the minutes before a certain period or you will lose it. So only buy enough and you could always purchase more. I hope this helps.

I use my cash card to get money at an atm. Make sure your bank knows what country you will be in and the dates. It's a good idea to contact your credit card company too. Your bank and credit cards will give you the best exchange rate, but be aware there is usually a 3%(I think) charge for the exchange service that will be applied directly to your account. This is still the best way to go. Ask your bank if they have a sister bank in Italy. It is possible the fees would be less. Also, just look at the back of your card and make sure you find one of the same symbols on it as the atm you are using.
You need money for tips for the guides. They have all that info in the pre trip package you will receive. I brought it in dollars. Have a great trip.

Be careful with your iphone. Set your email to check for new mail on demand or your data charges will be outrageous. AT&T's web site has the international information and lets you know how much it is per minute for each country. A word of warning - text messages are 50 cents each going out and coming in regardless of the plan you have at home. You really should talk to AT&T to understand all the international charges. I have an iphone and after spending 5 days in Spain my data charges were approximately $30.

you can ask your local bank to "order" money for you so you have it when you travel

i have used AT&T in Italy and many other countries....just get their international plan for the month and disable the automatic "fetch new data" etc....check out at&t website and they will tell you which settings to change

Last year, using debit cards at the ATM worked the best, it had the best exchange rate aside from ordering LARGE sums of money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter