Explain Passenger Rules re B2B?

I’m sure my B2B2B is fine since they let me book it.
That's not necessarily true. Many cruise lines (DCL included) will allow what is actually an illegal booking to happen, and then notify the passengers that such a cruise will violate the law. Often this happens 30-60 days out, causing all sort of problems with cancelling/rescheduling for the parties involved.

I'd suggest you take this up the line of authority at DCL to confirm NOW that your cruise is OK. If they say it is, GET IT IN WRITING.

That's not necessarily true. Many cruise lines (DCL included) will allow what is actually an illegal booking to happen, and then notify the passengers that such a cruise will violate the law. Often this happens 30-60 days out, causing all sort of problems with cancelling/rescheduling for the parties involved.

I'd suggest you take this up the line of authority at DCL to confirm NOW that your cruise is OK. If they say it is, GET IT IN WRITING.
Yes, I tried to do a search to dig up the old threads when people found out far too close to their cruises. I think it was the first Hawaiian cruises and/or when they did Alaska from Seattle one or two seasons. But while I found a few posts, it wasn't really that big thread that I could point anyone towards to.

Yes, I tried to do a search to dig up the old threads when people found out far too close to their cruises. I think it was the first Hawaiian cruises and/or when they did Alaska from Seattle one or two seasons. But while I found a few posts, it wasn't really that big thread that I could point anyone towards to.
Well, here's the thread I started regarding the first Seattle/Alaska cruises that turned out to be illegal. There's some discussion about halfway through from those people who were contacted to cancel one leg of any Seattle/Vancouver, Vancouver/LA B2Bs that had been booked.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/psa-b2b-alaska-cruisers.2905608/

I had DCL proclaim my B2B2B invalid after a few weeks of my booking it. so I had to cancel my first cruise of the B2B. I’d strongly recommend you contact them, although I guess they’ll eventually contact you.

To understand the "distant foreign port" I always think about the Panama Canal cruises which have a stop in Cartagena, Colombia - this is a distant foreign port as it is not part of North America, Central America, Bahamas, etc.

Could someone explain the passenger rule (I can’t remember what the CM called it - had a 3 letter acronym I believe) that makes B2B possible/not possible?

I tried to book a B2B this morning for the new 2025 itineraries. I was going to do the Galveston to San Juan then San Juan to Ft Lauderdale, but couldn’t because of a passenger rule (can’t remember the exact name). I know it has something to do with a closed loop and/or a foreign port.

I was hoping someone could just explain the rule and why it didn’t work out in this scenario.

I’m not trying to argue they should allow it, I’m just wanting to understand it so that I don’t get my hopes up again.

I have a B2B2B booked for 2024 that is Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan, San Juan to San Juan, San Juan to Galveston that to my understanding is legal due to the middle segment being a closed loop.

Does it have to do with the US government not being able to track my leaving and re-entering the country?

Just trying to understand!
Not sure about the closed loop, but I’ve read that PR is exempt from this rule.

Not sure about the closed loop, but I’ve read that PR is exempt from this rule.
Sure, a cruise from a mainland US port to PR or from PR to a mainland US port wouldn't violate the rule because of the exception. However, a cruise from a mainland US port to PR follow by a cruise from PR to a different mainland US port absolutely does violate the rule.

So, unless the closed loop in the middle somehow breaks the chain (and I don't know why it would, but I'm not a lawyer), the B2B2B described previously seems to be in violation of the rules.

Sure, a cruise from a mainland US port to PR or from PR to a mainland US port wouldn't violate the rule because of the exception. However, a cruise from a mainland US port to PR follow by a cruise from PR to a different mainland US port absolutely does violate the rule.

So, unless the closed loop in the middle somehow breaks the chain (and I don't know why it would, but I'm not a lawyer), the B2B2B described previously seems to be in violation of the rules.
While the OP appears to be taking (as the second leg of the B2B2B) one of the cruises that doesn't fulfill the distant foreign port requirement necessary, there are some (at least one) of those 7 night San Juan cruises that do as it stops in Curacao.

While the OP appears to be taking (as the second leg of the B2B2B) one of the cruises that doesn't fulfill the distant foreign port requirement necessary, there are some (at least one) of those 7 night San Juan cruises that do as it stops in Curacao.
Yes, once again you truly wonder how DCL comes up with their itinerary planning. It would be obvious that when they only do one Souther Caribbean cruise between the two repositioning cruises, that this would be very attractive to book B2B2B. So, why don't they just then go down to the ABCs on that one cruise to make it possible?Other cruise lines would even market this as one long cruise!!

Yes, once again you truly wonder how DCL comes up with their itinerary planning. It would be obvious that when they only do one Souther Caribbean cruise between the two repositioning cruises, that this would be very attractive to book B2B2B. So, why don't they just then go down to the ABCs on that one cruise to make it possible?Other cruise lines would even market this as one long cruise!!
I’ve always wondered this. I wish they would do some longer repo ABC cruises instead of multiple repo cruises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter