"Extreme Frugalness???"

Forgot to mention that we have NEVER had a new car.

We pay cash $500. or $600 for used cars.

We have 2 Chevy Cavaliers that have run forever. I think the owners just got tired of driving them. And wanted new.

I say we reuse, recycle, and use up this good old cars!

I'll add one more: my mother saved dryer lint. Had a big box of it. Used it when stuffed animals had a seam ripped and needed more stuffing or to stuff small pillows, etc.

i'm only on page 4 and was very curious about this diva cup so i just googled it. YUCK!
ok, don't get mad at me, it just was not what i was expecting. next time, warn me:rotfl2: .

I'll add one more: my mother saved dryer lint. Had a big box of it. Used it when stuffed animals had a seam ripped and needed more stuffing or to stuff small pillows, etc.

I save dryer lint. It makes a great fire starter! :)

Ours isn't quite "instant", it does take a minute or so to warm up. We have a small house, so went for the "single use" size rather than the "whole house" size. I actually grew up in Europe, so was used to having one and HATED not getting a hot shower myself. We also had The Great Walt Disney World Flood of 2003 (our water heater ruptured a few hours before we were leaving for a week-long trip we won from Kellogg's to WDW and flooded our finished/DDs bedrooms/homeschool room/laundry room basement...DISASTROUS). The idea of not having to deal with a ruptured water tank ever again was VERY appealing to us. ;) Ours is natural gas and small, only a bit bigger than our electrical box. It's on the wall of our basement and hubby installed it (but he's a handy guy). Our tank heater was electric and the month after we removed it, our bill dropped on average from 20-25%. Our gas usage barely saw a blip in an increase. LOVE it.

how much water does this heat? if i wanted to take a shower, then dh want to take a shower, than ds wanted a shower would there be problems?
must admit this does sound good.

Please tell me more about the tankless water heater.
Are all of them propane-powered or are there electric ones?

When I drink pop at work, I bring home the can. They are worth 10cents each here in Michigan.

If I do eat out, I grab an extra ketchup or sugar to use later.

I won't buy any kind of meat unless it is on sale. I love to hunt for the non-advertised sale markdown packages.

I've actually found one of my prescription meds (loratadine) at the dollar store. Much cheaper than paying a co-pay.

Not as extreme as some of you, but every little bit helps!

Tankless water heaters heat "on demand". It never runs out of hot water, so you never have to wait for the water to warm up (except the initial getting it to your faucet). With ours, I can shower and run a load of laundry on warm at the same time, even though we only have a "single use" unit. We can run 2 showers at the same time, but hubby's doesn't get quite as hot as he'd like, so we try to do it one at a time. There are bigger, whole house units that would allow 2 people (or more) to shower at the same time, use the dishwasher, etc.

Ours is natural gas, but they also are available with electric and propane.

As far as the Diva cup goes... ;) it's not nearly as "yuck" as other products! If anyone has questions about that, I'd be happy to answer those, too...PM me!

I save dryer lint. It makes a great fire starter! :)

I save dryer lint, but mostly because I'm too lazy to empty the little trash can in the laundry area that I keep it in. :lmao:

(No, I don't keep it close enough to be a fire hazard :thumbsup2 )

Re home heating temps. We heat with a wood stove. Very cozy in that room. Upstairs, however, it can be in the 50s. But we're sleeping under down comforters.

In the Little House books Laura describes water freezing in the wash basin the room she shared with her sister. We are well above that!

I have a question for those that make their own laundry soap. How well does it work w/ hard water? We have hard water here (from a well). I would love to make my own laundry soap. :goodvibes

Does anyone know the answer to my question? :)

We gave up buying birthday, anniversary, Valentines and Christmas cards etc. for my husband and myself about eight years ago. It seemed like such a waste of money to us. You read the card, say "aww isn't that nice" then the card sits out for a week and you barely look at it again before tossing it out. Now, sometimes we stop in the card dept., pick one out for each other, read them, say "awww isn't that nice," then put them back!

Yes, that is cheap. When we started this, we took the money we saved, about $4.50 to $5.00 per card, and bought two ounces of silver. Now silver is $20.00 an ounce.

Also, most everything we buy comes from garage sales and auctions. It costs pennies on the dollar compared to new, and many of the items are new, or nearly new. When you see how cheap used household items resell, you never want to buy new again. The minute you walk out of the store with your $20.00 new item, it's worth maybe a a couple dollars resale.

I do a lot of different things.

We find the eating places that have .99 kids' meal days. We eat out there or on kids eat free nights/days.

I shop at a surplus grocery place for as much as I can.

Our cars are all paid for and DH fixes most of the problems himself.

DH is finishing the 950 sq. ft. basement himself. He has it framed and almost all insulated now and will start drywalling after busy season.

We buy clothing at 75% off or more or at garage sales.

I am a yard sale and thrift store junkie.

We only pay cash for things and owe on nothing but our house, and even that, we have paid down 33%.

Dawn

We are not extreme at all!

I think the most "extreme" thing we do is just not shop for "stuff" all that often. I go clothes shoping twice a year (clearance racks), and DH goes maybe once a year, if that. I buy one new pair of "every day" shoes per year, same style, same color (they are relatively expensive and don't go on sale often, but I love 'em and will cry if they ever stop making them!). Most people I know go shoping at the mall every weekend and come home with tons of stuff, other than Christmas shoping, we never do that. It's not extreme, but in today's consumer society, it's unusual to say the least!

We do all the normal stuff, keep the house temp low in the winter and higher in the sumer, I have a veggie garden, DH does his own car repairs and home remodels (working on the upstairs bath as we speak!). I shop sales and stock up when prices are good. I don't coupon but that's mainly because I shop "the outer rim" and our area doesn't double coupons so the few packaged foods I buy it's usually not worth it. (I am jealous of those areas where ground beef goes on sale, I never see that here! Steaks and roasts, sure, but never ground beef!).

I buy in bulk at Costco for things like health/beauty, paper products, batteries, cooking oil and other baking supplies, etc. I bought the big thing of Kirkland liquid laundry soap and it's lasted a year (it helps we don't have kids, fewer loads)! I use only 1/4 cup per load (and I only run full loads) and it all comes out clean. I was everything in cold except bed sheets and towels (I was taught it was more sanitary to wash these items in hot, don't know if it's ture but old habits die hard). Our 1st purchase Kirkland bulk dryer sheets has lasted since we got the membership 2 years ago, we are only just now running low!

When our old washer konked out, instead of buying a new one for $500-$700, we bought used off of ebay for $80. It was three years old but hardly used at all, it has all the bells and whistles and I love it. It's still a top loader but for $80, who cares?

I still drive my '98 Saturn. Runs great and at about 30 MPG it's cheap! I started working from home last June and since then DH takes the Saturn to work instead of his 15 MPH truck. Between me only driving on the weekends to run errands and DH using the more fuel efficiant car, our fuel bill has dropped by over half since last summer, even with all the price increases. This is luck more than being frugal, my company just anounced one day that they needed my divisions space for another department and we were being moved home full time! Came out of nowhere! But we'll keep the Saturn until the wheels fall off. I hate car payments and can't wait until the truck is paid off in 21 months (but who's counting...). Of course by that time the Saturn may need to be replaced, but I'll buy another inexpensive 4 cyl. sedan and keep that one for a decade or longer, too.

We do splurge on some things, we have digital cable with expanded basic. But instead of HBO we have Netflix for movies (we also hardly ever go to the movies, and wait for the DVD release). We also pay for broadband internet. But this is our main entertainment, so I don't feel bad about it.

Our big downfall is eating out. I do cook from scratch most nights but we eat out at least 4 to 6 times a month, and not at cheap places either. We always say we'll cut back and never do, it's just a part of our lifestyle at this point. We work hard and deserve SOME treats, afterall!

My parents worked hard all their lives to save for their retirement, but also took time along the way and enjoy the "moment" as well. Trips to Hawaii for just the two of them, family trips to WDW, road trips all over the mid-west, dad's pool table, the family boat, stuff like that. My mom passed away last fall at the young age of 62, only about 10 years into retirement (Dad is 7 years older and they also retired early). Had they not taken the time to enjoy life and put everything off until retirement, they would have missed out on so much. But at the same time, had they not worked so hard to save, they wouldn't have been able to retire early, and Mom would have spent the last 10 years of her life stuck in an office doing book keeping, instead of enjoying life in sunny AZ in their (very active) retirement community and traveling.

So DH and I are trying to do the same, enjoy the little things and some of the bigger things in daily life, as well as save for "some day when we retire". I guess it's just all about balance.

The only extreme thing I do is save my pop cans and bottles and bring them back to NY with me when I visit my family. They get recycled and I get 5 cents per can. Here (PA) we have recycling, but you have to pay to recycle, like $20 to bring your stuff to the center. Obviously, I won't do that! We don't drink a lot of pop, but I like our stuff to get recycled.

DH drives a 92 Grand Am from his grandma. It's been a good car, we've had it for 4 years and probably spent $900 in repairs on it ($300 of which was to replace the windshield when someone threw a brick off a bridge on the highway). In the past, we've had some money to replace the car, but never did because it works. We drive our cars til they die and his is an old old man!

I do the plastic grocery bag in the bathroom thing too. I truly thought everyone did because that is all we did growing up. At times, we used grocery bags for kitchen trash bags too.

I don't do CVS (I might start :D), but I get free after rebate shampoo and conditioner from Rite Aid. I go whenever they have it in their flyer.

Probably the thing we do most to save money is stock up when things are on sale, stuff like toilet paper (we are getting low, only have 40 rolls left), paper towels, soap, cat litter, cat food, etc.

I like the idea of making your own laundry soap. How is it with colored laundry? Also, where do you buy the ingredients?

Well, I will just say I went somewhere with a friend and had to take a double take when she was washing styrofoam plates. I thought that was being extremely...........frugal.

You should have gone camping with my mom back in the 60s! She washed PAPER plates and hung them on the line to dry. Thank goodness I am too little to remember and only know about this from my sisters!

My x sil was sooo frugal. My brother and her built a HUGE home. She replanted the flowers from her mothers garden to the front of her house. She reused the dry dog food:confused3 ...QUOTE]

OK, I gotta ask - how does one REUSE dry dog food?:scared1:

KCpirate:

Well, I will just say I went somewhere with a friend and had to take a double take when she was washing styrofoam plates. I thought that was being extremely...........frugal.

ohhh my mom has done that all of my life.....putting the styro plates in the dishwasher.....i even catch myself doing it.

and i also do my clothes shopping at goodwill.....i refuse to pay retail for most anything....

oh yes...and im a certified cvs addict and coupon junkie.....if i cant get it free or use a coupon...chances are you wont find it in my house anywhere....

My grandmother would cut paper plates in half when serving something like cake on it since you technically never would use the entire plate

She also died with a LOT of money in savings that her totally irresponsible daughter was happy to waste for her

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter