Family of 5 back from WDW - Lots of reviews (long)

5infam

DIS Veteran
This is my first time with reviews, so I will put what we thought about each place in the hopes that it may give some one some insight. We got back last Sunday, stayed 8 nights at BWV, and it was myself, DW, DS(13), DS(4) and DD(2).

First night tried the pizza window at Spoodles. They messed up on our order and gave us a free Pizza!!! We had 1 cheese and 1 sausage pizza and a couple of calzones. It was OK, but my local pizza shop is much much better. For the little ones, the pizza was too well done for them.

Rainforest Cafe (AK)- ate there on our second day and my family loved their meals. The kids meals were eaten up (chicken nuggets and pizza) and my DW and DS had wraps that were both very good. I had the plant sandwich, but really didnt care for it. I have had it here at Disneyland's RFC and loved it so I'm not sure what the difference was, but it wasn't as good. Finished up with a big shared dessert.

Nine Dragons (lunch) - I have seen a lot of bad reviews on this one, but I figured I would try it since I got a 20% DVC discount - It wasn't worth the discount!!! Small portions, not very good food and none of us really cared for it. We eat asian food all the time, so trust me, if you are into asian food, this is not the place to go.

Biergarten (Dinner) - We really had a lot of fun at this place. I think it is a great place for kids because they have music, its loud, and kids fit right in. We had a PS, but we still had to wait in a very long line in the front. I'm not sure if the PS helped us out or not, but it didn't seem like it did. The food was great and we loved all of the sausages, a lot of variety. At times, the lines for the buffet were a little long, but the food was worth the wait. The only thing that could be improved was the desserts. All in all, we will definately come back here.

Earl of Sandwich - now I know there are a lot of Earl fans out there, and I can understand why; good sandwiches. My biggest problem with this place is that it was tough on my 2 little ones. This sandwich place ONLY toasts their bread. For my DD(2), we ordered a PB&J, which came out toasted (hard) with melted peanut butter. For my 4 year old, we got turkey, but the bread was a little too hard for him. Before ordering I asked if there were any alternatives to the toasting and they told me no, so we were stuck with what we got. Again, good place for older kids and adults - but I won't be going back with my 2 smaller ones. You would think that since they are at DTD, they would have something for kids, but I guess not.

Columbia Harbour House (MK) - We loved this place and ate their on 2 different days. This (IMO) was one of the best meals for the money that we had at WDW. The little kids loved the bologna sandwich and the mac & Cheese. The rest of us loved the Tuna sanswich (very good). The ham sandwich was not as good though, as they put the cole slaw in the sandwich. We liked the apple pie there as well.

Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner - MK) - This was our only character meal for the week and we are glad we chose this place. We had never eaten at a "family style" restaurant where they bring the food to your table in an all you care to eat format (usually its buffets). The food was really good and my kids loved the characters coming to the tables. After a long day of running around MK, this was a great place to sit and have everything come to you. PS really helped here a lot!!! I would definitely recommend this place!!!

Brown Derby (lunch - MGM) - We had been to this place in 2001 and remembered liking it a lot. I had the steak, DW had the Ahi, DS (13) had pasta with vegetables and added shrimp, and the kids ate mac & cheese and a hot dog. The mac & cheese looked like a bad rendition of Easy Mac with way too much water!!! Other than that we liked the food. We also had creme brulee(sp?) for dessert. Although the meals were good, it was not up to the standards that I expected. I don't think we will go back here in the future.

Beaches in Cream (the Beach Club - dinner) - We had bought Q&C vouchers specifically to eat here. We all really liked this place a lot. Kids and DW had burgers and I had the prime rib sandwich. For those that have not had this sandwich before - I really wouldn't describe it as prime rib, but as prime rib from yesterday that was refried today. In other words, don't expect a great piece of meat in your sandwhich, but it was good anyway. The desserts were yummy too!!! I can not believe how small this place is though, so be careful about what time you go.

Finally - there was a small hot dog stand on the Boardwalk that we ate at a few times (right out front of the Flying Fish). It was like getting carnival hot dogs and fries, but served as a quick bite at the end of a long day. Sorry for such a long post and let me know if you have any questions:cool: :cool: :cool:

Great reviews! Thanks for posting.
I wish my kids were more adventurous so we could try Biergarten some time. It sounds like a lot of fun! :D

Thanks for the reviews. It sounds like you had a great time. :)

CamColt,

I don't know the ages of your kids, but my smaller ones ate Mac & Cheese (very good at Biergarten) and chicken (rotiserrie - sp?) as well as meats and cheeses. They also loved the desserts (pudding). They also have different kinds of salads and beef there as well. Some of the sauces were on the side, so you can get something a little more plain if you wanted. My 13 year old eats everything, as long as it is different. When we go for sushi, he is the first to want to try something different, like octopus :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the great reviews. We have never eaten at Beirgarten, but after your great review we might have to consider it for our next trip.

Thank you, thank you for the wonderful reviews! I've been hungry for a nice, long read like this one.

I do wonder, though, why in the world the Earl couldn't/wouldn't just NOT toast the bread on your children's sandwiches. It seems like such a no-brainer! Do you think they misunderstood what you wanted?

Pat

196 days and counting . . . again!

Thanks for sharing your reviews! Columbia Harbor House is so good, isn't it? I would just love one of those big tuna sandwiches right now . . .

Glad you had a good time!

inky dinky,

I hear what you are saying on the Earl of Sandwich thing. I was very clear with them that I didn't want the bread toasted and I even mentioned that it was for a small child. What they told me (and showed me to back it up) is that all of their bread comes raw (meaning still doughy, in roll form). This is the reason why all of their sandwiches come toasted, because the toasting process actually cooks the dough and makes it bread at the same time. They don't even offer a kids meal. The PB&J was a little bit less $ than say a turkey sandwich, but it was still a full sized sandwich. We ended up feeding our DD a fruit and cottage cheese plate, and threw the PB&J away (the other kids didn't want it either once they saw the PB oozing all over the place...remember the sandwich comes hot).

Harambe,

I really want a tuna sandwich right now too!!! I am going to check here at Disneyland (we are going in a few weeks) to see if they have any tuna sandwiches like at the Harbour House. We all really miss WDW!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter