Fan Reactions to Negative Criticism

haynes19

Earning My Ears
Hello Disney Fans

I have a question I would like to present which is
How do you react to negative criticism of Disney films? Critics have often considered disney films to show regressive representations of women, to contain rascism and sexual messages.

Do you believe that disney films show negative representations of women? Do you feel they over simplify other cultures myths (for instance mulan)? Can Disney texts be considered racist?

I only ask as I'm doing a study on why critics do not favour disney films, yet fans feel an inifinity to them. If you can help out and present your views on the topic it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know why you love disney so much

Thanks

I think a Disney movie, like any other piece of art, needs to be put into context. It is true that by today's standards, "Song of the South" would probably be considered racist and "Snow White" could be considered a little sexist. However, if you consider the Disney canon as a whole, I think people of all different ethnicities, genders, and species receive happy endings and are portrayed as having inner beauty. That is, after all, one of Disney's core messages. Consider the princesses, for example. There are princesses of all shapes and colors, with all different personality types. They each play to their strengths to make their dreams come true. There may be portrayals of certain characters, or groups, that are not what we would like them to be in our modern world. However, if you look for something negative in any movie you will find it. What sets Disney fans apart is that we look for the positive and the beauty in life.

Just my humble opinion :goodvibes

:rolleyes2 I think people will see what they want to see. If they look for/believe there is racism/sexism/other negative outlooks they will find it because that's what they want to find. Also, as Belle said, the context has to be taken into account. Think about what the views of society were when Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty were first released. I think it's absolutely absurd to blame a company for producing movies that reflect the standards of society at that time. Those people are just determined to find fault with Disney, I don't know why. No company is perfect there are faults with Disney and I am perfectly open to other peoples opinions but they need to be well thought out educated opinions with context taken into account and proof to back it up. Otherwise I just ignore that "opinion".

I agree that Disney films need to be looked at in context, however there are some scenes or images in them that are if not exactly racist make me wince. For example, the "What Makes the Red Man Red" song in Peter Pan presents a lot of stereotypical images of Native Americans who say "ugh," "how" and "squaw gettum fire wood." It may have been seen as appropriate when the movie was released in the 1950's, but last time I watched, I cringed a little, partly because I can remember my sister and I imitating the war whoops after seeing it. I still love the movie as whole, though.

How I react to negative criticism of Disney as a whole depends on whether I think the critic is being thoughtful and pointing out what he sees as a problem with a film or just Disney-bashing. Some critics do go to any lengths to point out that Disney is Evil.

Personally, I can recognize a fair bit of stereotyping,racism and sexism in Disney films, but I'm still a fan. I'm old enough now to differentiate fact from fiction and form my own critical opinions. I really enjoy Disney and everything it has to offer, but I certainly don't turn a blind eye.

:rolleyes2 I think people will see what they want to see. If they look for/believe there is racism/sexism/other negative outlooks they will find it because that's what they want to find. Also, as Belle said, the context has to be taken into account. Think about what the views of society were when Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty were first released. I think it's absolutely absurd to blame a company for producing movies that reflect the standards of society at that time. Those people are just determined to find fault with Disney, I don't know why. No company is perfect there are faults with Disney and I am perfectly open to other peoples opinions but they need to be well thought out educated opinions with context taken into account and proof to back it up. Otherwise I just ignore that "opinion".

Amen on that! Also, the 'view of society' thing can also be said about the 'Dumbo' crows, the 'Peter Pan' indians, 'Song of the South' and 'Lady and the Tramp's' Si and Am. They're deemed racist nowadays, but back then, they were acceptable amidst a mostly white society.

:rolleyes2 I think people will see what they want to see. If they look for/believe there is racism/sexism/other negative outlooks they will find it because that's what they want to find. Also, as Belle said, the context has to be taken into account. Think about what the views of society were when Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty were first released. I think it's absolutely absurd to blame a company for producing movies that reflect the standards of society at that time.

:thumbsup2 Great points. I was very disappointed with Tangled though because I feel Rapunzel was a real step back for Disney. Rapunzel completely relied on Flynn for everything and that was disappointing after we had Mulan, Tiana, Belle. Had Flynn never come along, Rapunzel would still be up in that tower and I find that disappointing since the movie was only made a few years ago.

Disney_Princess83 said:
:thumbsup2 Great points. I was very disappointed with Tangled though because I feel Rapunzel was a real step back for Disney. Rapunzel completely relied on Flynn for everything and that was disappointing after we had Mulan, Tiana, Belle. Had Flynn never come along, Rapunzel would still be up in that tower and I find that disappointing since the movie was only made a few years ago.
True, but that's how the original story went, right?

True, but that's how the original story went, right?

Yes but Disney changes stories to suit themselves and their demographic. The Little Mermaid is quite different to it's original form but having Ariel suicide at the end would have been a mood killer. :rotfl: I know that Disney Princess movies "need" a "prince". However Rapunzel could have been a little more independent than she was in Tangled. I felt it had a real "50's and 60's" mentality which was disappointing. Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are all great movies and are appropriate for their time, however I don't need that way about Tangled.

haynes19 said:
Hello Disney Fans

I have a question I would like to present which is
How do you react to negative criticism of Disney films? Critics have often considered disney films to show regressive representations of women, to contain rascism and sexual messages.

Do you believe that disney films show negative representations of women? Do you feel they over simplify other cultures myths (for instance mulan)? Can Disney texts be considered racist?

I only ask as I'm doing a study on why critics do not favour disney films, yet fans feel an inifinity to them. If you can help out and present your views on the topic it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know why you love disney so much

Thanks

I agree with the thought that if you're looking hard enough, you'll find a problem to complain about in any Disney movie. I personally don't have a problem with anything Disney has included in their movies. The Dumbo crows, the Peter Pan Indians, Rapunzel and "independent women".......... In my honest opinion, I'm not looking to the media to tell me what's acceptable and how I should think. I'm not going to tell my son that just cause he saw Tangled it's indicative that he bosses a woman around or needs to find some sheltered girl that he can have be dependent on him. That's the stuff I learned within my own home and the same stuff I'll teach within my home. So I just ignore these sexist, racist, etc criticisms Disney gets.

Disney_Princess83 said:
Yes but Disney changes stories to suit themselves and their demographic. The Little Mermaid is quite different to it's original form but having Ariel suicide at the end would have been a mood killer. :rotfl: I know that Disney Princess movies "need" a "prince". However Rapunzel could have been a little more independent than she was in Tangled. I felt it had a real "50's and 60's" mentality which was disappointing. Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are all great movies and are appropriate for their time, however I don't need that way about Tangled.

Let's see. A man breaks into a girls home. She knocks him out ties him up and then blackmails him into doing what she wants. Along the way he is almost pummeled by thugs. She protects him and saves him. Then they are chased were she again saves him. I'm not sure but I don't see a whimpering girl who need a man to save her.

sesame_123 said:
Let's see. A man breaks into a girls home. She knocks him out ties him up and then blackmails him into doing what she wants. Along the way he is almost pummeled by thugs. She protects him and saves him. Then they are chased were she again saves him. I'm not sure but I don't see a whimpering girl who need a man to save her.

Haha!! Very good points.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter