Fantasyland: "Be ready to lose something you love." ???

I couldn't agree with you more. And when that recession comes Knott's will profit greatly from those who will still spend money on such things. Knott's is such a tremendous value and a fantastic park. They are almost becoming what Disneyland was of my youth was. And when that next bump in the economic road comes Disney is going to have to deeply discount tickets to get anyone to show up. They have increased prices to such absurd levels that even if they cut 50% off some days, people still won't pay it in a recession. They truly have painted themselves into a corner.
Well there is a reason for that.......Ken Parks used to be heavily involved in the entertainment at Disneyland (both on and off stage), now Knott's has hired him has vice president of entertainment and it was probably the smartest move they ever made. Disney letting him leave was a big mistake, they should have fought a lot harder to keep him.

As many are aware, PM will never come back to DL. Once DL took it offline, it lost its "grandfathered" status. When it went down (in 1998?) it was not compliant with the latest safety rules from the state. If they ever brought it back it would now need to comply which means the old PM will never come back - it is too unsafe. So it would need to be some new ride. Really a bummer. And I agree Disney has to DO something with those old tracks - that is not Rocket Rods. :scared1:

:wizard:
Actually, that isn't entirely true, many of the required safety and ADA (adding an elevator) upgrades were installed when Rocket Rods opened.

It wouldn't actually take much to get a version of the people mover that met safety requirements. What is more challenging (although not I possible) is making sure the tracks and supports are structurally sound for such an attraction.

Also, if they really wanted the original people mover, they could actually make the argument that they are restoring it to it's historical state. Of course they would risk it being declared a historical landmark and never be allowed to change it again (not that I would mind).l and then there could be some exemptions made to some safety requirements.

Monsters Inc. would be a great addition to Fastpass/Maxpass. DCA definitely needs more FP attractions.
Not sure how you would setup a FP queue for this attraction.

Mickey's Funwheel really needs FP now, even the no swinging Gondolas almost always have at least a 45 minute wait these days.

Mater's should have FP added as well.

Hmmm. I was agreeing with you right up to the comment on SWL at DCA. DL was in great need of a new E-Ticket, already has ST and has been the place for Star Wars for the last 3+ decades.

I will say that DL and DLR as a whole has had lots of ups and downs on their decision making. TL was nearly ruined 20 years ago. Now it is greatly improved. But still needs help.

DLR seemed to be on a roll with decision making from maybe 2004-2015. As I have said over the last year, someone or some group of new people high up are making some or all the decisions differently from before. And they seem to assume DLR is bullet proof from bad decisions. That is how the DCA fiasco got started. It will bite Disney in the b*tt at some point. I see some good decisions being made like Project Star Dust. But I see some poor ones like Marvel Land at DCA. I am ambivalent about Marvel at Disney, but DCA is not the right place for it. As much as Disney was able to make GOTG work at DCA and do a good job with it, it was the wrong decision IMO. I understand why they did it, but it was and is force feeding.

:wizard:
Actually I think DCA is a great fit for Marvel, if all else fails they can tie it into Hollywood and and say you are becoming part of the movies. GOTG was the right choice for DCA, that much is clear by how much more popular it is that TOT was.

And I do not think DL is a good fit for galaxys edge.

It wouldn't actually take much to get a version of the people mover that met safety requirements. What is more challenging (although not I possible) is making sure the tracks and supports are structurally sound for such an attraction.

The Peoplemover also couldn't go through the buildings without greatly widening the tunnels.

A modern ride would require a wider tunnel; the old Peoplemover had very tight clearances and guests could easily touch walls in multiple locations of the ride.

Also, modern safety codes would require stair access to the ground every X feet for emergency egress. So even the straightaway from the station to the front of Tomorrowland would require an access stair near Buzz/Star Tours. Plus all of the paths over by the Monorail station/Nemo and over Autopia, etc.

A modern ride would require a wider tunnel; the old Peoplemover had very tight clearances and guests could easily touch walls in multiple locations of the ride.

Also, modern safety codes would require stair access to the ground every X feet for emergency egress. So even the straightaway from the station to the front of Tomorrowland would require an access stair near Buzz/Star Tours. Plus all of the paths over by the Monorail station/Nemo and over Autopia, etc.
There actually are access stairs near Buzz and Star Tours, they are just hidden inside the buildings, I sadly know this from the Rocket Rod days when I had to use them personally. Additionally, there are many stairwells available throughout the attraction, again they are well hidden.

And the walls could easily be grandfathered in citing "historical reasons" to not modify the structure of the building.

Yes, it would take some work to the track, but People Mover could indeed make a return with a little effort on Disney's part.

All the more reason to just raze a majority of Tomorrowland and give it a fresh start.

TDA should leave Fantasyland alone and start focusing on a land that does need an overhaul.

I love all these dark rides, and the CONSTANT 40+ minute waits should prove how many love them too. There is just something about an old classic dark ride that doesn’t have a bunch of special effects and instead tells a good story with amazing art and practical effects. There’s also something fun (at least as an adult) about how darkly themed some of those rides are when you actually think about it... how often do you get to go to hell anywhere else at Disney :P

Bring back skybuckets!!!
Yes, I know it will never happen due to jumpers/liabilities, but I loved that so much!!
How is it that other places are able to have them? I've often wondered about that.

I also made a point to ride the Peoplemover when we went to MK last year and I love it. I really wish they were still at DLR, too.

Pooh is short but sweet. I also did like Country bears years ago. It's funny but when I was little I enjoyed the sky buckets both at DL and especially at Sea World. A good 10 years ago now I went on Sea World's version and kept thinking it would tip over or get stuck, did not feel safe or enjoy. I still vote for a People Mover come back. Surely there must be a way to make it work.

Bring back skybuckets!!!
Yes, I know it will never happen due to jumpers/liabilities, but I loved that so much!!
Actually it is because the regulatory agency changed and they were no longer allowed to go through buildings, which the Matterhorn was considered and while that could have been appealed, the ride was aging and was going to be expensive to be repaired, plus they would have had to make the Fantasyland station accessible. All of that combined meant the end for them.

I love Fantasyland just the way it is! :) It's honestly my favorite land and I LOVE that still holds on to the classics that made us all fall in love with Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter